Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2002 2:02:08 PM EDT
Another question arising from my inexperience, sorry. I screwed up my buffer retainer pin spring when I was removing the buffer spring to change stocks. I have received factory new parts to replace both the buffer retainer pin and spring. My question is, is the shoulder of the retainer pin supposed to be flush in the receiver? In other words, is just the little pin on the top of the retainer supposed to be exposed? The spring seems to be correct, it is a 14 coil spring between 14/16ths and 15/16ths of an inch long. However, the buffer retainer sits up in front of the buffer, more than just the little pin part.

If this is incorrect, should I have to shorten the spring to make it right? Thanks for any input in advance. I always appreciate the help and support I get here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#2]

The shoulder of the retaining pin should go down far enough to allow you to screw in the buffer tube over top of it. If it doesn't, check to see if maybe there is a chip or something in the hole that is preventing it from going in far enough. If there seems to be something in the hole, clean it out. Also, check to see that the spring is going into the retainer and not being blocked by debris. Then, when you screw in the buffer tube, push the retainer all the way down, using a punch if necessary. If everything fits right, after you tighten the buffer tube into place, the little projection on the retainer will be sitting just in front of the tube.

HTH, Don

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget to push down the pin while you screw in the bufer tube a revoution or 2 or you'll mess up the buffer tub and/or pin.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I got it! Thanks guys. I just didn't realize that the tube held the shoulder of the pin down. For that matter neither did my friend who allegedly knows a lot about AR's. It's so simple, but it was so messing me up. I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top