Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 12:09:53 PM EDT
If I get a Curio and Relic firearms liscense, do I have to list in the "bound book" firearms that I already own that may be in the same safe.  If so, seems a little intrusive.  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If I get a Curio and Relic firearms liscense, do I have to list in the "bound book" firearms that I already own that may be in the same safe.

No you don't.
As to C&R's aquired not by your license When I first got mine I think They had to be entered as you bought them.
doing a quick look at ATF's site I don't see anything there contradicting me. Take the time to read the book they send you. (Looks like I need to go over it again..)
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
From the horse's mouth:

Department of the Treasury
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
F: PD: FB: FT: nvc
AUG 10 1998

(inside address redacted)

Dear Mr. (redacted):

This is in response to your letter dated July 20, 1998, to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. In your letter, you have inquired whether it is necessary to record the transfer of a curio or relic firearm in your acquisition and disposition records.

Please be advised that, in accordance with 27 CFR  178.125 (g), a licensed collector shall enter into a record each receipt and disposition of firearms curios or relics. Therefore, regardless of whether the curio or relic firearm was obtained using your collector's license, the acquisition must be entered into your records upon receipt. Accordingly, if you, as a licensed collector, dispose of a curio or relic firearm, the disposition also must be entered into your record book regardless of when it was obtained.

We trust the foregoing has been responsive to your request. Should you require additional information or have any questions, please contact us.

Sincerely yours,
(initialed) KRD
for Christopher M. Cuyler
Chief, Firearms Programs Division

In other words, when you first receive your C&R license, you do not have to log the C&R firearms that you currently own in your bound book.  Wildweasel is correct that at one time you did have to, but that has changed.  As long as you have your C&R, when disposing of a C&R firearm, you must log it into your bound book.  This creates a disposition with no matching acquisition.  This might look like a mistake to a suspicious BATF auditor.  I recommend you make a note in your bound book something like "obtained prior to license" under acquisition for any weapon.z
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
THANKS !!

Got my answers without even having to ask the questions !

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top