Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 11:19:53 AM EDT

I've been looking into these two rifles, both seem to be sturdy, accurate pieces of hardware.

Unfortunately I am having a difficult time deciding which is more appropriate for me. Granted accuracy may very slightly between rifles, which of these two would be recommended for someone who is most concerned with reliability and accuracy?

G1 FAL
What worries me about the G1 FALS are the prices I see.  Are the costs indicative of the quality? What receivers are recommended for this rifle? Where might I find these receivers?

HK91/G3
This rifle seems to be extremely accurate and reliable, but there are so many choices, so many modifications available, it is difficult to determine what is best.  I believe I have narrowed the configuration of this rifle to the following:

-An Interordnance G3A3 ($300 Mostly HK parts) kit (I'm assuming the trigger pack is Auto, which concerns me greatly because I would really prefer not to weld, cut, or sand that aspect of the rifle)

-AND-

-A Federal Arms Semi-Auto pin-on aluminum receiver.

Regardless, both seem highly desirable.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, hopefully you can offer me some insight.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted: Unfortunately I am having a difficult time deciding which is more appropriate for me. Granted accuracy may very slightly between rifles, which of these two would be recommended for someone who is most concerned with reliability and accuracy?

G1 FAL
What worries me about the G1 FALS are the prices I see.  Are the costs indicative of the quality? What receivers are recommended for this rifle? Where might I find these receivers?

HK91/G3
This rifle seems to be extremely accurate and reliable, but there are so many choices, so many modifications available, it is difficult to determine what is best.  I believe I have narrowed the configuration of this rifle to the following:-An Interordnance G3A3 ($300 Mostly HK parts) kit (I'm assuming the trigger pack is Auto, which concerns me greatly because I would really prefer not to weld, cut, or sand that aspect of the rifle) -AND--A Federal Arms Semi-Auto pin-on aluminum receiver. Regardless, both seem highly desirable. Thanks for taking the time to read this, hopefully you can offer me some insight.

I hope I can help as I owned a L1A1 by Century Arms & now own a Federal/H&K G3.

I had no problems with the L1A1 except a bit of confusion on which mags to buy: inch or metric? How to tell the difference? I never found out. Actually the reason I sold the L1A1 was every time I switched ammo brands, I had to readjust the gas regulator. It usually took a full mag to get it set. IOW, I felt I was wasting ammo.
My G3, OTOH, is strictly a "load & shoot" proposition. I like that!
I was told to avoid the Hesse brand receivers & go with the Federal brand, which you already mentioned.
Would I do it again? You bet! Would I buy another L1A1? Never.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Several dealers in Shotgun News have HK91, which is the Semi-Auto G3 Kits for $195, which is less than what you are looking at. G3A4 kits are $295. These would have to be pinned in the open or closed position since they normally telescope.

The real difference is parts prices. Bushmaster is charging $350 for a G3 Plastic Stock. Handgaurds are $90. I almost choked after reading those prices.

Seriously, pick up a copy of Shotgun News and look through it. You will almost always find a better price in SGN.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I hear the Interordnance kits are of the highest quality.  My concern is the trigger pack.  Is it still in auto configuration, or semi-auto? I do have the AGI G3 video for guidance, but obviously I still have a few questions.

I sent the guys over at Interordnance an email, I'm still waiting for a response.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got my interordnance kit about 2 weeks ago and it was in excellent condition well worth the few extra bucks as it comes completely refinished and has a complete new set of furniture.  There is only one receiver to look for and it's the FMP they are very hard to find to damn near impossible.  You can buy the Hesse but there are not many gunsmiths willing to work on them.  The best place for further info is www.hk91.com  The total cost to you is going to be right around $1000 after you get the required US parts the grip frame and trigger pack converted (look for Big50 on the HK91 site) refinishing and assembly.  Your best bet is to find a used Springfield Armory SAR-8 with the FMP receiver for around $1100 - $1300 and save yourself all the headaches.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The low price of the G1 version of the FAL is probably indicative of the recent flood of G1 parts kits from Turkey. FAL fans have enjoyed a pretty good run of kits entering the country. Very good prices compared to other rifles. But the end is probably drawing near.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know about WA. But, you would probably come out cheaper by filing a Form 1 and making a G3K (HK91 SBR), than buying the expensive US Parts.

Seriously though, look for a Semi-Auto kit. They do exist. I have seen them in SGN. When combined with a Semi Receiver there is no need for mods. except 922(r) and 922(v).
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#7]
www.gunsnstuff.net/html/machine_gun_parts.html

They have a pre-modified Semi-Automatic Parts Kit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#8]
For the money and ergonomics involved, it is hard to beat the FAL. The refinished G1 kits from DSA are great, although a little more. Here is mine:

Kyle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top