Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 7:29:02 AM EDT
I was in a sporting goods store the other day. Looking to buy some ammo at the gun dept when I over heard the following.
Two guys were looking for scope for a hunting rifle. The sales clerk showed them a rather large, expensive looking scope. "The rifle is like the car and the scope is like the gas, what good is a car if it has no gas". The clerk went on about how you need a scope like this to shoot at long ranges. The two guys took one look at the price and wisely declined.
I'd never ask a sales clerk for advice on what to buy. Do your homework first so that you don't get taken. Has anyone here ever sought advice from a sales clerk only to regret it later?

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't you just love it when they say, "This will work -- trust me!"

If that line is ever heard while shopping for anything, tuck tail and run for the hills because you are about to be had!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I ask, listen, and often walk away chuckling to myself
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Clerks...even if they work in a Spec Op office...are still clerks
Go right to the source and ask the horse...or at least the front end
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Best advice is, walk in  and browse the store within ear shot of the clerk. When ask if you need help tell him your just lookin. But in the mean time listen to his interaction with other customers, listen to his "expert" advice to others, then decide wether to buy or fly   Usually I just rely on my own knowledge and let their info pass over my head and decide on my own

The problem is that most people "Think" they know more than they really know!

Most would not know "Expert Advice" if they heard it...They would think it was BS.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I asked a clerk at Academy if they had any scopes with 30mm tubes . He said that the smallest that they had was 40mm. I said that I was talking about the tube diameter and again he responded that 40mm was the smallest they had.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have heard alot of BS passed across gun shop counters.  

That's a shocking bit of news.  >gg<  Whenever I was selling I made it a point to tell a customer that brand X was good/bad/better/worse but that was my opinion. Ask ten different people, you'd get ten different answers. And I would use the Ford vs. Chevy analogy when showing Beretta's, Sigs, Brownings, etc. It usually worked with the novice buyers as they could relate to several differeing opinions. The "experienced" owner usually had his/her mind already made up.  >gg<
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top