Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2002 7:50:16 PM EDT
suggestion on brand and type.

I would like a:
--72"X41"X@27" or @50 long gun capacity
--FIRE PROOF for at least 30min
--Nice finish(has to replace a gorgeous display cabinet, my wife says is the nicest looking piece we own).
--Interior Lighting
--and finally, of course the money thing.

I am currently looking at a Fort Knox Protector series for @2,000 or just a little more for a few upgrades.  My wife about freaked when I told here how much.  I would like to spend less, but don't want to give up much when it comes to size, and none on the other items.
According to the layout plans for Fort Knox, I could go with a 60"X37" size to hold around 40 long guns, but would restrict the number of handguns/shelving available.  

What do you recommend?  Considering my requirements, what other brands should I look at?  Thanks for your help.
guns762
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Liberty myself.  But watch out.  I live in an old house and when the safe guy came with my Lincoln 35 it would barely fit in the front door, it took the guy about half an hour to get it through and he had to take it out of the box and take the dial off to get it to go.

The safe you want is bigger than mine.

Moral:  Check your doors before you place your order.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in Orygun, so I'm not sure if this is much help to you where you are, but I had mine custom built by a local outfit that makes safes.  I was shopping for a safe at a gun store and noticed a little sticker on the back, "Manufactured by Foster Creek Metal Fab."  I live only 10 miles from Foster Creek and went home and looked them up.
I was able to spec. out my safe just how I wanted it.  The guy showed me some pics of safes he has built, some being two door models for 50+ rifles and room for an a$$ load of handguns.
I got a 60" tall, 30" wide by 20" deep, fire rated, upgraded to 5 (one on top and bottom, three on the side and an interior locking flange) 15/16 lugs, a key lock and a 4 digit combination lock, each independant of the other, and my choice of color for $615.00  I did the interior trim myself in aromatic cedar with birtch shelves.  Shipping would probably slay you on the price but if your interested post and I will dig up the guy's phone number.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Amsec makes an Excellent Safe..

They have a safe that is close to your specifications..the Cascade Series Model 7240
Which have outside Dimensions of: 72H x 40W x 26D inches.

Weight is 1235 lbs.

Gun Capacity (depending upon how what kind of interior layout you get is: 12-18-24-30-42-58 gun

Optional 14 Bolts, Price Ranges from:$1,737.00 to $2003.00 depending on what kind of finish you get.

See: www.deansafe.com/amsec/cascade.html

A BETTER safe but more expensive is at: www.deansafe.com/amsec/tl-15tl-30.html These safes are more secure and offer greater fire protection..but they are more expensive and are smaller.

Fort Knox Also makes a good safe.

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#4]
i want a safe like the one in the matrix
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Guns762, The mistake I made when I bought a safe, a Remington, is the size. I bought a 27 gun safe and it is too small. You are going to want to put other things, money, jewelry, papers ect in your safe with your guns. I was worried about weight so I stayed under one thousand pounds. I wish, and my wife wishes I had bought bigger and reinforced the floor if necessary. I have two friends who are on their second 50 gun safe. Tell your wife bigger is better! MIKE.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine is a National Security.  It is not as large as you want, but they make some nice stuff right here in Utah.  I bought mine at the factory.  Watch-Six
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top