Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2002 6:56:22 PM EDT
All,

A friend of my recent purchased a NIB American Spirit Arms M-4 AR.  Well, he took it to the range today and found that his new baby regularly jams at various round counts.  That is, he will load a fresh mag and the rifle will start out fine, but then within several rounds it will jam.  

As for the details of where the bullet is getting "caught," I don't know.  He says that the extracted rounds were found to have serious creasing of the brass around the case necks.  

FYI he was using Orlite mags and both Winchester ammo and Guatamalan military surp.  He claims the rifle would experience these stoppages with any combo of his mags and ammo.

Do you guys have any recommendations as to why this might be?  I appreciate your responses.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
i heard some people comment on their gas port holes (?)???  something about the hole not being the right size.  havn't heard too many pleasant things about asa except that their lowers look nice.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:47:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Just like above, I have no experience with ASA but the word is good lowers, inconsistent uppers, and not so great customer service.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:03:30 AM EDT
[#3]

FYI he was using Orlite mags

Tell him to try USGI 30 rnd mags, if he hasn't already. It's about the cheapest way to "test" a potential trouble spot. If it still doesn't work, it's still money well spent. squib
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#4]
It's common for a new AR to require a break in period of several hundred rounds.  Make sure the new rifle has been cleaned and lubed as per instructions and try several different magazines.  If it's not functioning perfectly after 500 rounds...contact ASA.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an ASA CAR15 that had the same type of feed and extraction problems. I bought new USGI mags and the problems basically disappeared. The only extraction problems lately have both been ammo related. One round didn't seat properly because of a dented case (surplus ammo) and one didn't extract because the extractor ripped the lip off the case. Had to push that one out with a cleaning rod.

Anyway, the ASA rifle should be fine if you use good mags.

FWIW, the ASA 10 round mags I bought with the rifle have NEVER EVER EVER had a feed or extraction problem. Not one.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top