Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2002 1:36:20 PM EDT
I know y'all are sick to death of brake posts, but regarding installation only, will a taper-pin hold up?

Bushmaster will do the installation work for me, but I'm honestly not convinced that this method is stable in the long-run. Opinions on the installation only? Thanks,

Ben

I will be putting a post-ban brake on a post-ban gun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If Bushmaster is doing the installation then I would probably trust it. However, I don't trust the ones that people put on themselves. I've seen two of them launched down range when apparently they worked loose and got in the way of the bullet path.

It was kind of funny, but only because it didn't happen to me.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#2]
A properly installed taper pin can be a REAL bitch to remove.  My gunsmith had to grind
part of a taper pin off before getting it to come out when removing the sight base from an FNMI M16A2 barrel.   He almost had to drill it out.

In theory, taper pins are non-removable if installed with enough pressure and no lubrication.   So pin a muzzle brake on with no lubrication and heavy pressure.

CJ

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Hehehe, thanks for the insight and humor, guys :D  Until later....

Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top