Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2002 10:11:06 PM EDT
I plan on getting a free floating tube and wanted info on how to dissasemble the barrel from the bolt housing. Is this something I can do myself? Do I need special tools?
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You could possibly do it yourself, and yes, you need special tools.
The difficulty is that the front sight base must be removed to take off the handguard ring and put on the tube. Then the sight base has to be reinstalled. Installing a sight base is not a job for beginners. Or, for that matter, for a casual tinkerer. Usually it is considered a job for a gunsmith or armorer. If you haven't done work of this type before, you shouldn't start here.

And, if you have a permanent muzzle attachment, it would have to be removed before the sight can come off. This is big work.

It all depends on your personal experience and capabilities. Since you are obviously not familiar with the procedure, it would seem best to have a professional do it.

Don
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I generally like to work on my own stuff as much as possible because I enjoy the learning experiences(most of the time). I just recently rebuilt my mustangs 302 after I gave it too much boost at the track. It was hard work but I learned alot. Im a machinest and have lots of tools and machines at my disposal. I was trying to figure out how that front sight is removed and the only thing I can figure is that it is a pressed fit? But pressing it on would take the black oxide or whatever finish it is off? Wait a minute...it looks like the front sight is held on with tapered pins. Thats no biggy driving those out if thats the case.

Im sure interested in doing this myself and would like to hear from people that have done it themselves. Any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes they are tapper pins, also the gas tube is pinned into the front sight post assy.
Most target shooters don't use the pins again. The front sight is tapped for machine screws and then loc-tited on. A small flat is milled into the bottom of the barrel to make clearance for the screws.
When reassembling make sure the gas tube is very very well aligned to the bolt carrier key way, if not accuracy problems arise.
When the front sight assy is installed in this way it can be adjusted left to right with out to much effort. to get the loc-tite to release use a hair dryer...pat
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:12:53 AM EDT
[#4]
while your working on the front sight post assy take a close look at the sight pin. Does it wiggle very slightly? If so run a tap down through the threads and now an allen screw can be installed from the bottom to lock the post into the assy  after adjustments. note; the thread and hole size are not standard but I was able to get the tap and screws from granger's.
I don't have the size notes with me now but I will find them for you....pat
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:25:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Dear Siennfein, (spelled wrong)

Your alias is as offensive here as"Al Queda" or "viet Cong"  I suggest you learn a little Irish history before using the name of a Marxist-maoist political party representing a terrorist organization.  It has nothing to do with being proud to be Irish.
                            KevinNY
                           1. American
                           2. 1st gen. Irishman

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Kevin.. now tell us how you really feel.
Oouch... that had to hurt!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the great info guys. So how is the barrel attatched to the bolt housing(A2 peice).

KevinNY: Your the first person to complain about my screenname. You dont really know why I chose that name so I wouldnt be so quick to judge. Most people it seems have no idea what the name meens. I find some of the names I see edgy or offensive but I dont bitch about it. I see offensive things all the time but thats a part of life.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dear Siennfein, (spelled wrong)

Your alias is as offensive here as"Al Queda" or "viet Cong"  I suggest you learn a little Irish history before using the name of a Marxist-maoist political party representing a terrorist organization.  It has nothing to do with being proud to be Irish.
                            KevinNY
                           1. American
                           2. 1st gen. Irishman

well my friend..maybe u see the RA and Sinn Fein as terrorists..and if you do maybe YOU need to look at Irish history... Sinn Fein is itself means "WE Ourselves" in Gaelic. maybe you need to look at the 800 years of oppression and Murder from Britain. i guess youd call our founding fathers of the American Revolution terrorists. i support Sinn Fein and have supported the RA in the past...there would be NO Republic of Eire without the RA....there would be no talks of a shared govt in N. Ireland without Sinn Fein and the RA...i beleive Eire is for the Irish it is for both Catholics and prots, my goal is Irish independence, and its up to the Irish people to govern THEIR country as they wish...(and the Irish populace is NOT Marxist) ive been to Eire and visit regulary...maybe you should make a visit and learn some of your own history.

SLAN
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Look at the barrel nut and you will see a ring of notches on the part facing the front sight. You need a special spanner wrench with "teeth" on it to fit into these notches.
Here's one :
 http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/rm-001.asp

Well, it could have been worse. I was afraid your last name was siennfein.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top