Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2002 11:55:07 AM EDT
I bought a gun about 6 months ago and now I'm thinking that I really won't use it very much. Can anybody tell me how to go about selling this gun since it is registered under my name? How to I go about doing this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If you must sell, you can do one of several things.

1. Sell it to a dealer, who will probably try to rape you on it.
2. List it on the Equipment Exchange and sell it to another user here (must go to FFL if buyer is in another state)
3. Sell to resident of your state for private party transaction (legal if both parties are residents of same state).

If you are concerned about the gun being "registered" to you, your best bet would be to sell to an FFL or sell to a person in a different state which will require the buyer to go through the NICS process.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Not knowing your specific laws of Colorado if you think it's registered to you because you bought it from an FFL on a form 4473 well unless the ATF does a crime trace on this gun and it was new from the manuf. to a distributor then to the FFL to you then ATF will never find it. Once a gun goes private and even then back onto an FFLs books the ATF has no way to find current owner of gun because the chain of paperwork is broken once a gun goes private.

So sell the gun privatly or through an FFL if requred and just keep a note recording who you sold it to. This is not even required but might make you feel better.

If the gun is actually registered to you as in some local requirement then they would also have to have the means to unregister the gun from you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Dieselpwer,

You can take it to a gunshow and sell it to a dealer or induvidual there. BUT remember at a gunshow in CO. a private sale still has to go through NICS. Remember last election? "We" closed the "gunshow loophole." All gunshows now have someone who will do a check for a minimal fee, usually $10 or so.

A dealer will never give you what it is worth. He would then have no markup and couldn't make money. And he is in business to make money.

If you have a favorite dealer you might ask him if he would sell it on consignment. He will ask for a fee or percentage.

What part of CO. are you in? I'm on the western slope.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info everyone, this helps out allot. Just wanted to make sure i covered my tracks if I do decide to part with it.

JonnieGTyler
Im on the north eastern plains, weld county.

thanks again!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Just out of curiousity, What kind of gun are you talking about ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top