Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2002 9:52:05 PM EDT
I am going to purchase a Ruger MKII Government Target Model in either Stainless of Blued.  I would like to eventually like to get it parkerized.  Would there be any advantage to spending the extra money ($50) on the stainless?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not even sure if it is possible to parkerize stainless steel.  My guess is you're better off getting the blued version.  I have the 5 1/2" stainless version myself and really like it a lot.  I like the added corrosion resistance of stainless steel.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to parkerize it, get the blued version.  Stainless cannot be parkerized.  

Personally I have been looking at the stainless ones for me.  With the possibilty of getting a suppressed barrel later
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:11:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Hopefully a silencer will come sometime later on.  How would you go about putting a silencer on the MKII ?  Do they turn your barrel and thread it?  Who does that kind of work?
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:34:14 AM EDT
[#4]
The ones I have seen are a whole new barrel, integrally suppressed.

www.tlguns.com/cans/
tlh.fdt.net/~quinn/22Pistols.htm
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Those are nice, I wish someone made one that could be screwed onto an existing gun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#6]
www.gem-tech.com/twenty2.html

Check out the vortex-2 and outback, should work.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am going to purchase a Ruger MKII Government Target Model in either Stainless of Blued.  I would like to eventually like to get it parkerized.  Would there be any advantage to spending the extra money ($50) on the stainless?

Stainless can be coated with a black teflon or other similar finish.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, I didnt know a supressor could be had for so little.  I can actually afford the outback.  Does anyone know who can thread a MK II barrel for a supressor?  Also does anyone know how much noise the action on a MK II makes (in dB)?

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I've seen suppressors for MkIIs that have a narrow slot machined into them, like a "7".

The front sight slides through the slot, and then you twist the suppressor which locks it on the front sight.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget the $200 tax, background, and wait... Always something to factor in
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]
$300 for the Gem-tek Outback + $200 for the stamp = $500.

$50 a month for 10 months...hmmm

Happy Birthday to me

Happy Birthday to me

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I own the competition slab side and it is far superior to the Gvmnt. model if you want real accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#13]
:) I just recieved my W2 and filed my taxes.  I should be able to buy the gun next week.  

On Gem-Tech's web site they have a MKII with a threaded barrel.  I need to find someone to do this for me.  I doubt anyone here in Cheyenne, WY will be able to do it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Stainless, stainless, stainless.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Stainless, stainless, stainless.

Thats what I've decided on.  I have a quick question for MKII owners.  When I was in the shop I noticed that the bolt locks back on the Government model.  When I got home I looked at my Fathers MKII and his didnt lock back.  Is this a feature of the Government Model?
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the blued,it could be parked.I kind of wished I had bought the stainless because it comes with the scope mount,drilled and tapped,and slabside(lighten it a bit?).All MKII's have the boltstop.It only works if a mag is in it or you push up on it.The mark I and standard don't have this feature.Ruger started production on the MKII in 1982.Are you sure it's a MKII?
I parked a 1958 Ruger Standard and put walnut grips on it.It has a kind of unique look to it.The only other parked ones I've seen are at Midwest Gun Exchange-Mishawaka,In. They are a class 3 dealer and those are silenced.Cool lookin shooters.I'd buy one if I had the $$$$
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#17]
What finishes are available for stainless other than the black teflon?
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#18]
About having barrels threaded for suppressors ....

The best way is to just send your gun to Gemtech. Unlike with a comparatively short "flash hider," the bullet has to travel another five-six inches before exiting the suppressor's muzzle, and the threading has to be done precisely or you can end up with bullets hitting the baffles inside the can, or the can's muzzle-end cap. Not good.

Doc Dater at Gemtech usually charges $75-85 for a simple threading, with a thread-cover cap. He also does two other approaches for Mk II's: One is to recess the crown and cut internal threads, and you use an adapter to thread the can INTO the barrel rather than around the outside of it. A second approach is he threads the barrel on the outside as normal, sets back the front sight a half-inch, and then takes a section of new Mk II barrel and makes a thread cap out of that. When screwed on, the barrel/cap seam vanishes and you can't tell the gun has been modified.

HTH.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
About having barrels threaded for suppressors ....

The best way is to just send your gun to Gemtech. Unlike with a comparatively short "flash hider," the bullet has to travel another five-six inches before exiting the suppressor's muzzle, and the threading has to be done precisely or you can end up with bullets hitting the baffles inside the can, or the can's muzzle-end cap. Not good.

Doc Dater at Gemtech usually charges $75-85 for a simple threading, with a thread-cover cap. He also does two other approaches for Mk II's: One is to recess the crown and cut internal threads, and you use an adapter to thread the can INTO the barrel rather than around the outside of it. A second approach is he threads the barrel on the outside as normal, sets back the front sight a half-inch, and then takes a section of new Mk II barrel and makes a thread cap out of that. When screwed on, the barrel/cap seam vanishes and you can't tell the gun has been modified.

HTH.

Thanks a bunch for the info.  I will give him a call tomorrow and let you all know what he quotes for prices.

Scott
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:49:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Stainless is the final answer...the finish is all the way through the gun. Can be glass beaded for a satin finish, brushed or sand blasted for a real non-glare finish. I hard chromed a MKII 6 7/8 before Ruger offered a stainless model. I also parkerized another one right over the blueing, just degreased it first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top