Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2002 8:54:27 PM EDT
I was out on the range most of the afternoon today at Williams' Gun Sight Company here in Flint Michigan, shooting South African M193 through my new Bushmaster AR-15 M4.  There were about 8 guys on the firing line.  I couldn't help noticing that EVERY MAN ON THE LINE WAS SHOOTING AN AR-15 ! ! !  

I purchased my AR-15 because my disability, which becomes progressively worse each year, makes it more and more difficult for me to handle a rifle, except for a lightweight carbine with a descending pistol grip, hence, the Bushy M4 (carbine).  I wondered why all these guys bought the same rifle.  Did they feel, as I do, that September 15th heralded a new era of vulnerability in the US where many citizens now realize that they could be the target of a sudden attack?  

I grew up in a tough neighborhood and have always been aware that violence and death are lurking around every corner, depending on how lucky you are today.  I have been shooting for 50 years now, have an unrestricted, general permit to carry, and I do carry a .45 most of the time. But I wonder if September 11th had anything to do with these shooters' decision to purchase an AR-15. Is there an underlying significance to the AR-15's late popularity. Is it more than the fact that the AR-15 is a terrific rifle, and the long-standing tradition of American men to own this nation's military service rifle?

I know it's a no-brainer question, but I'm interested in your responses.

- Beldar
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Why I think it’s popular.

1. It’s a clone of the current U.S. military rifle.

2. Because of the import ban there’s not much else to compete with
it for market share.

3. Fun rifle to shoot and ammo is cheap.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have less interesting reasons to submit than Beldar.

1.  The AR15 looks cool.  Back when I was a kid and knew very little about guns, I thought this looked like something Buck Rogers would carry.  Nowadays, I guess the saying is that the AR looks "evil."

2.  It's fun to play with in the gun shop.  Handles to pull, buttons to push, selectors to flip.  Different than a "conventional" rifle.

3.  Variant of standard US service rifle.

4.  Cheap to shoot, no recoil.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Every add on part available for the primere weapon of choice for the free world.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
The AR is the "Lego set" of the rifle world. Lot's and lot's of options. Fun to shoot w/ little recoil to shorten the day of shooting. As American as it gets and a great firearm. The import ban certainly didn't hurt it's popularity, as mentioned above.

Would it have the same sales numbers if Steyr, HK, FN, Sig and the other black rifle makers were included in the market place? Nope. But the AR would never fade away. Far too fine of a design to disappear.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Owning an AR (or lots of ARs) is a great way to thumb your nose at the PC crowd!

They look "scary"!

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have an Ar-15 YET!  keyword YET :)

I think people have grown up seeing the m-16 defending america for awhile (us youngin's :) and want to have a rifle that has protected america.  And it can be customized like someone said.  I just want one cuz they look great and many have fought with it.  Plus I've grown up with it in many many hollywood war films.

Plus it'd go great next to my AK :)
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Why I think it’s popular.

1. It’s a clone of the current U.S. military rifle.

Unlike many in America most of us tend to admire and respect the military.  Further where could we civilians acquire a rifle so closely approximating a rifle combat-tested ?
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I bet the recent release of BHD will cause a run on AR's. Remeber "Private Ryan" and the M1?

Karl
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The AR is the "Lego set" of the rifle world. Lot's and lot's of options

That's for sure. You can have one lower, and all those different types, calibers, ect of uppers.  I can't think of anything else out there that adaptable.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#11]
becouse its eeevvviiiiiillll
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn!!!  I missed it. Had to work.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#13]
For me, it was the military association. If I just wanted to shoot .223, I would have bought a Mini 14. The AR looks like a weapon that can get the job done.

coyote3
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I have heard many good things about the Williams gun sight. I am planning to stop by when the wather warms uip a bit and I get some time off of school. Now to the question at hand. I like my rifle for the looks, the accuracy, and the complexity. I think that they look sweet. It is true that nothing will get a sronger look from people than an AR. I also like the potential accuracy of the rifle. You can make it about as accurate as you want and this apeals to me greatly also. I must say that the thing that intregues me most, and caused my enfatuation with the rifle it the mechanical complexity. It is so complex as far as rifles go, yet it is amazingly simple. I love my Ar!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I think Chairborne Ranger hit the nail on the head.  It looks so BAD, it shoots so good, you have parts and ammo availability, and once you are past the initial investment, it is cheap to shoot and maintain.  Plus the customizing possibilities.

The appearance alone might scare off someone trying to break into your house, rustle your cattle, or whatever, without a shot being fired.  Just like everyone knows the sound of a pump shotgun being racked, everyone can visually identify an AR-15 and knows it's bad medicine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top