Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2002 7:56:52 PM EDT
http://www.firearmslawcenter.org/content/florida.asp

That's why those of you who have to deal with incessant anti-gun shit from your states should move to Florida.   The State hasn't really outlawed anything that's not already covered on a Federal level.  And our State Constitution is very clear on the issue:

The Florida Constitution, Article 1 § 8, states:

(a) The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful
                authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be
                regulated by law.

(b) There shall be a mandatory period of three days, excluding weekends and legal holidays,
                between the purchase and delivery at retail of any handgun.  For the purposes of this section,
                “purchase” means the transfer, of money or other valuable consideration to the retailer, and
                “handgun” means a firearm capable of being carried and used by one hand, such as a pistol or
                revolver.  Holders of a concealed weapon permit as prescribed in Florida law shall not be subject to
                the provisions of this paragraph.

Pretty reasonable.   I'm not a fan of a waiting period but it's a political necessity these days, and this one is mild as waiting periods go.

CJ

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I`ve been thinking about it more and more.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget......TEXAS!

Permit to purchase requirement...no!
Registration of firearms requirement....no!
licensing of owner required...no!
permit to carry required...yes (only handguns)

NFA weapons : )
silencers...okay w/ Fed. registration
machine guns...ditto
short barrels...ditto
AOW...ditto
DD...ditto

State constitutional provision-
"Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the state; but the legislature shall have power by law, to regulate the wearing of firearms, with a view to prevent crime." Article 1, section 23.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
NEW YORK STATE ORIGINAL CONSTITUTION, 1777

XL.    AND WHEREAS it is of the utmost importance to the safety of every State, that it should always be in a condition of defence; and it is the duty of every man, who enjoys the protection of society, to be prepared and willing to defend it; this Convention therefore, in the name and by the authority of the good people of this State, doth ORDAIN, DETERMINE and DECLARE, that the militia of this State, at all times hereafter, as well in peace as in war, shall be armed and disciplined, and in readiness for service

New York State Civil Rights Law ARTICLE 2 SECTION 4

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms cannot be infringed.

NEW YORK STATE CONSTITUTION, 1962, ARTICLE XII: DEFENSE

Section 1.  The defense and protection of the State and of the United States is an obligation of all persons within the state.  The legislature shall provide for the discharge of this obligation and for the maintenance and regulation of an organized militia.

And NY has the toughest anti-gun laws in the country second to Kali.
I guess if they let you only have one BB gun they technically don't violate the NY constitution.

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:28:28 AM EDT
[#4]

I'm not a fan of a waiting period but it's a political necessity these days, and this one is mild as waiting periods go.

Damn right it's mild. down here, we have to wait 28 days.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:41:52 AM EDT
[#5]

I'm not a fan of a waiting period but it's a political necessity these days, and this one is mild as waiting periods go.

To add to DSR-1's post:

Texas:

Waiting period: no
NICS check upon purchase w/ CHL: no
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Been to florida. Not bad place.....but a bit too flat, and waayyy too hot. Sides, I can't STAND the Hurricans or the Dolphins.....;-P

I'll be doubly flamed for this, but....

Find me a place with no scorpions, no deathly humidity or heat, a good winter snow, and good gun laws, and I'm there. Right now it's between PA and NH, and since PA didn't make a stink about recognizing homosexual marriage as being the same as heterosexual marriage, to PA I will go. Curse me and my insipid morals!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I am thinking of Arizona...
There is just somthing about that place that just draws me.
Besides..the low humidity is good for firearms..

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#8]
If we all move to gun friendly states now, they're basically just containing us.  I'm bunkering down here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey Jerzy guys: Left that godforsaken hole back in '89 for sunny Fla. Brought all my evil assault weapons with me. Born and raised in morris and essex county. After 40 years of listening to "there's no other place like it" And "only losers move out of state" I finally split. Have had the best 12 years of my life here. No hotter than Jerzy in the summer then we have 7 months of 70 degree temps with no friggin snow in the off season. Have a state-run range not 14 miles from me; beats the Dirt-hole Winchester Rifle range in Englishtown. Hey Pete-You still bustin rocks? Moron! You just have to get over the "Jerzy is the only place to live" mentality.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#10]
That state-run range not 14 miles from you...would that by chance be in Indian River County?  The new IRC public range?

Been there, like it, can't wait to see them extend past 200 yards!

Like the man said, the heat's not that bad.  That's what air conditioners are for!  Go to the beach and watch the bikinis in season, that'll get you hotter than the weather!   And about half the year, or more, (the 7 months figure is about right) it's TOTALLY pleasant.  I've needed my lightest jacket on exactly FOUR mornings this winter so far.  Past few days it's been warm enough that  we closed up the house and turned the A/C on.  Beats your snow shovel and salted roads all to hell and back, doesn't it?!

Florida summers can get hot and muggy, but I used to live in Nebraska way back a few years ago and I remember the 100 degree heat.  Not fun, even as a kid.   People DIED when their air conditioners shat the bed.   It doesn't get
much past the low 90's here because of the sea breezes.  Humidity's higher, but it's tolerable, and with the right attitude and light clothing you can have lots of fun on a hot day.  The beach is waiting and there isn't much more pleasant to look at in all the world than a bunch of cute bikini-clad college girls just starting to sweat...

Five moderately hot months followed by seven pleasant ones beats three pleasant months followed by three volcanic ones followed by two pleasant ones followed by four deathly cold ones.

CJ

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#11]
No, the range is in Sarasota county in Venice. We also have a full-auto range in Arcadia in the dead center of the state. Hell, you can bring bowling pins, water jugs and even pics of ex-wives to shoot at. They also have a tactical range where you can set up all kind of obstacles. What a gas! This state is the absolute best. Not to mention some of the most kick-ass gun shows in the country. Sure beats the Allentown Agriculture Hall shows.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#12]
The range I go to most often is the range in Indian River County (Sebastian).  It's a pretty new facility and yes, they do allow full auto. But it has to be by appointment.  One day's notice.   Pistols are allowed on the rifle range, and rifles are allowed on the pistol range.   They've got fishing (You MUST bring a young 'un with you to fish!), archery, air gun, rifle, pistol, and sporting clays (only partly finished) ranges.   Plans are to extend the rifle range out to 600 yards.    The shooting stations are covered and shootable in all reasonable weather.     They're very tight on the rules (Get behind the red line when told, breeches open, etc) but allow rapid fire once you prove you can control your muzzle by demonstration.    They'll kick an idiot out in a heartbeat but will provide instruction to anyone who will listen.

My only complaint is that the covered firing stations make you feel like you're living in a drum when somebody's firing a cannon like a .30-06 or 7mm magnum.  Not much of a complaint, overall.

CJ

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No, the range is in Sarasota county in Venice. We also have a full-auto range in Arcadia in the dead center of the state. Hell, you can bring bowling pins, water jugs and even pics of ex-wives to shoot at. They also have a tactical range where you can set up all kind of obstacles. What a gas! This state is the absolute best. Not to mention some of the most kick-ass gun shows in the country. Sure beats the Allentown Agriculture Hall shows.

Hey Fly, I go to the Knights Trail range too, but I'm bored with shooting at paper. Where exactly is that range in Arcadia you're talking about? Sounds like it's worth a little extra drive.

Edited to add that the above Florida residents are not being truthful. Please don't come down here, it's really terrible. Geez, it was 79 degrees today, it's brutal! And no state taxes, God, what a nightmare.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Trust me, having weather that allows Floridas finest women to dress like this....

12 months a year isn't easy. The real hard part is that women who actually look like this can be found literally all over South Florida. Just wish I was in the land of fat, pastey white, moo moo wearing, down jacket/snow boot sporting babes that some of our other states get to enjoy.

It's tough, but someones got to live here. Now if we could put all the obnoxious New Yorkers/ Jersey folks on to a space ship and shoot them in to the sun, it might start to resemble utopia. N o flame intended NYers/Jersey people. The demographic from your area that shows up here aren't exactly what you'd call a "gun loving" crowd. Liberal, rude and generally disgusting.

Remember the election troubles? 6 words....Elderly transplanted N.E.ern liberal scum bags.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh yeah, and at least we can claim that one of the nations finest AR makers also calls FL. home....
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:24:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Hoople, the range in Arcadia is a club. $50.00 bucks a year plus $15 more if you don't show up to at least one clean-up day when they clean up the ranges. It has a pistol range with bowling pin tables. 50,75,and 100 yd ranges plus a place for shooting clays, and they just opened up a 200 meter range last month. When you join you get a combo to the gate and can use it anytime during daylight hours. All we ask is that you shoot responsibly! It's nothing fancy (what in Arcadia is?) but it's a great place to spend a day shooting. If you are interested e-mail me and I'll hook you up.

Edited to add that you must be an NRA member for insurance purposes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:04:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I having really been kicking around the idea for about a year or so. The only thing is I would have to do is: 1. Find a job, 2. Find a new Infantry unit and transfer with the N.G., 3. Find an area I like to settle down in and that area must have the hot babes. No black tooth trailer babes for me lol! I could deal with the heat, good AC in the house and car would be a neccasity. Also would have to tack on monthly exterminator expense I don't want those huge ass cockroaches around my house lol! One thing lately that really has me considering it, is the fact that I just got a notice from NY state claiming they forwarded the measly $29.00 refund I got last year to the IRS, I assume as income!!! I pay the IRS, and every year expect last for my taxes and one time I actually get back something it is reported as income WTF!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:13:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Not to rain on everyone's fantasy, but... been in Florida for years...

Find a job?  Cut whatever you earn by 30 to 40%... they say you 'take your paycheck in sunshine'... it's hard to spend, tho... Florida is an 'at-will' employment state.  Great for businesses, which is why so many have moved here, not so for the employees.

I live near 2 major beaches, the only hardbodies you'll see are the tourists, locals don't have time for playing, too busy working and fighing the traffic.  Example... Pinellas County (St. Petersburg) has more people living in it than some states out west have... and the available services and roads simply can't keep up with the growing influx...

I do agree Florida does have a few things going for it, they're just few and far between.  The place is crawling with attitude and impatience.

If you're thinking about moving here to enjoy the firearm laws, bring a stack of money.  You won't be buying too many more guns after you get here...

If I sound a bit bitter, I am... but I'm outta here April 1st... Job offers in Michigan and Vermont...

edited 'cause my 'puter still can't type...
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:16:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I beg your pardon, sir.  Our cockroaches do NOT have huge asses!  They're merely average.

But they can be taught to walk the dog, do the dishes, and wash and iron your clothes, with a little patience.

It's kind of like the movie 'Joe's Apartment' only without the Mob influence...

CJ

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:26:46 AM EDT
[#20]
hey.....it's not that I don't like heat, or humidity.....I frickin hate 'em. A 'hot' summer in my mind is whenever the temp goes above 75. Besides, why spend all that money on AC when you can find it naturally? I also like the fact that I can jump into a car and within an hour be at a ski slope. I love the snow, and I love the cold. Get me on a 200 yard range just after a snowfall, where it's cold enough to see your breath in front of your face, the sun just creeping over the horizon. Man, that's life.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not in the 'Jersey is the place' mindset. I fucking hate it here, and I'm getting out as soon as the gettings good. Prob is I have a very nice, very stable, decently paying job that I'm not crazy about dropping at this point.

And the looks of babes are not a draw for me. Eye candy can be found anywhere. It's the mindset and personality that matter for me. I've been through one anti girlfriend to know it's never happening again.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:17:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I have to agree with Vinnie NY isn't bad that is the State. For get about having rights in the city.  Nassau & Suffolk are great. Only problem here is one place to shoot Ball ammo. I would rather stay here and fight for my rights to buy and carry. Moved to Nassau and had a target Hunting in less than a month. Bought a gun and if it was in stock would have walked out that day or 3 days later. Bought an AR walked out the same day no wait.
If I move it would be Up State where I could walk into my back yard and target practice and have a house for Half what I paid along with lower taxes. I know it gets cold in them DAR Hills. Vermont is also nice laws are good from what my sister says.  I truly think why should we be looking for a place to move, just to have the right to buy and carry a gun. We need to keep on fighting for that right no matter where we live.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:58:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You're referring to Knights Trail range, off of I-75?

That's a county owned range, and a really good one.  $7.00 a day all you care to shoot, and trap, skeet, and sporting clays, too!

But don't move here!  Come spend some money, get sunburned, and go home!  It's hot as hell, sharks eat you at the beach, alligators get you everywhere else, if the snakes, roaches, mosquitos and other bugs don't get you first.  We don't have any water left, and what there is is tepid and smells like crap.  The people are rude, and only fifteen of us speak english.  Don't even think about driving anywhere quickly, either! Jobs? What jobs?  We don't need no stinkin jobs.  We gots sunshine!  And you know what else?  They are right!  It IS the humidity!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:09:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Find a job?  Cut whatever you earn by 30 to 40%... they say you 'take your paycheck in sunshine'... it's hard to spend, tho... Florida is an 'at-will' employment state.  Great for businesses, which is why so many have moved here, not so for the employees.

I live near 2 major beaches, the only hardbodies you'll see are the tourists, locals don't have time for playing, too busy working and fighing the traffic.  Example... Pinellas County (St. Petersburg) has more people living in it than some states out west have... and the available services and roads simply can't keep up with the growing influx...

I do agree Florida does have a few things going for it, they're just few and far between.  The place is crawling with attitude and impatience.

If you're thinking about moving here to enjoy the firearm laws, bring a stack of money.  You won't be buying too many more guns after you get here...

If I sound a bit bitter, I am... but I'm outta here April 1st... Job offers in Michigan and Vermont...

Sorry to hear all of that stuff. You and I obviously live in two VERY different parts of Florida.

Jobs all over the place, paying good money, LOTS of hot local women, and all over the beaches 12 months a year, not just tourist season.

I will agree with the "attitude and impatience" thing. Isn't that what we were given our middle fingers for?
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:09:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Darkstar is right!  I live on a major beach, my home office is facing the street that leads to the beach access.  I have to watch scantily clad girls heading to the beach all day when I work at home.  I make 40-50% less than my counter parts up north, but in Florida, you only have to work Tuesday - Thursday!

Traffic sucks out here.  Sometimes, I am not first in line at the traffic light.  Spring Break is another problem!  You actually have to concentrate on driving, rather than watching hot nubile young bodies strutting down the sides of Gulf Boulevard (our only real road) on their way to the hoards of beach bars.

It's tough life, but I'll try to keep doing it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Now if we could put all the obnoxious New Yorkers/ Jersey folks on to a space ship and shoot them in to the sun, it might start to resemble utopia.

Blow me! Wait...is that a flame?  

Atleast Long Island is a stronghold of gun loving people.  NYC and rich upstate are the problem areas.  Remember the Senate race with that dirty douchebag whore Hillary winning?  IT WASN'T LONG ISLAND'S FAULT!!!

I hate having to leave my good guns with my parents on LI, while I rot in this city!  One day, I'm just gonna say fuckit and take em all in here with me.  Can't say I'll carry though, i'll be beggin for an ass reaming in court.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:11:06 AM EDT
[#26]
The misses and I keep talking about a move. She had a friend who came up from Florida about a week ago and she kept telling us how great it is, firearms laws aside.

However, I've sworn my heart and to DonR that the Great State of Texas is where we NEED to be.

Until then, I'll keep up the fight for us fellow NYers. As edpmedic stated, upstate NY isn't all that bad for now - even though I'm just a few miles from where the legislative stench emits from.

LOL minman - us upstaters have been blaming you Island residents for Hillarys win!!! If you guys didnt vote for her....and we didnt - lets blame New Jersey!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hoople, the range in Arcadia is a club. $50.00 bucks a year plus $15 more if you don't show up to at least one clean-up day when they clean up the ranges. It has a pistol range with bowling pin tables. 50,75,and 100 yd ranges plus a place for shooting clays, and they just opened up a 200 meter range last month. When you join you get a combo to the gate and can use it anytime during daylight hours. All we ask is that you shoot responsibly! It's nothing fancy (what in Arcadia is?) but it's a great place to spend a day shooting. If you are interested e-mail me and I'll hook you up.

Edited to add that you must be an NRA member for insurance purposes.

Railhead,thanks for the info. Check your e-mail when you get a chance.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Hoople, sorry, I was falling asleep at the keyboard last night so I signed off after my rant. Railhead's got it right about Arcadia. My buddy shot his M1A1 Thompson out there last year and had a blast, literally! I like Knight's Trail though 'cause it's close and you generally run into some nice guys. The Ex-Marine range guy even tought my wife how to shoot one day. Gotta love it!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:06:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Origionally posted by DarkStar:
Find a job? Cut whatever you earn by 30 to 40%... they say you 'take your paycheck in sunshine'... it's hard to spend, tho... Florida is an 'at-will' employment state. Great for businesses, which is why so many have moved here, not so for the employees.

Isn't it true that all costs are also cut by 30 to 40%? I hear things like houses are a lot cheaper there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#30]
No no no no no!!!! Move to PA!! Its a great state to live in! And our state Constitution doesn't have any of that BS about allowing the state to regulate Concealed Weapons! Even though they do, they aren't constitutionally allow to!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Hoople, sorry, I was falling asleep at the keyboard last night so I signed off after my rant. Railhead's got it right about Arcadia. My buddy shot his M1A1 Thompson out there last year and had a blast, literally! I like Knight's Trail though 'cause it's close and you generally run into some nice guys. The Ex-Marine range guy even tought my wife how to shoot one day. Gotta love it!

I agree Fly, the guys running Knights Trail are all pretty cool guys. Most are retired military and don't have any of the "attitude" about AR's I read other guys complain they get at their local ranges. Frank is especially a good guy, he is extremely knowledgable when it comes to pistol shooting. Plus I only live 10 minutes away, very convenient.
But as I said, shooting at paper is getting old and I'm looking to do a little more when I practice. Arcadia here I come!!!( I hope).
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#32]
HKgnnr,
That`s not fair! We`re already stuck with McSleezy, Torricelli, and Corzine. We don`t blame you for Schumer or Sharpton now do we?
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm pleased to report that at the range I go to in Sebastian, Florida, there's no AR attitude, unless it's the attitude that the AR is king.  When I've been there, I've seen up to fifteen AR's on the line at once, more than all other types of rifles on the line combined.  A lot of variety in configurations, too.  So many space guns, shorty flattops, etc, that the stock SP1 I brought once got quite a bit of attention because it was out of the ordinary!

CJ

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Find me a place with no scorpions, no deathly humidity or heat, a good winter snow, and good gun laws, and I'm there. Right now it's between PA and NH, and since PA didn't make a stink about recognizing homosexual marriage as being the same as heterosexual marriage, to PA I will go. Curse me and my insipid morals!

How much snow do you want?  To flat areas, look at the ocean.  Gun laws are good, no scorpions, no snakes, no cockroaches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top