Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2002 5:28:59 PM EDT
I need a little, concealable, full power pistol.

Which one of these would you get and why?

Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak for the Kahr's although I have heard they make a fine weapon, but I can speak on the Glock G27.

I have one, and it is very concealable, high capacity has NEVER jammed or Mis-fired. You can also buy the G33 barrel and shoot the 357 sig round if you like.

Oh yea, its also black and evil like the AR's
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't speak for the Kahr's, as I have never held or shot one.  I have a G27 that rides with me all day long.  I have 10 rounds of 40, and it is in a very small package.  I would give up a lot of my guns before I gave up the G27.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a G27 and wouldn't trade it for the world. I have tried the Kahr in 9mm and found it to be a fine pistol also. I think you would be served well by both, but I am going to give my vote to the Glock.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I can't speak for the Kahr's, as I have never held or shot one.  I have a G27 that rides with me all day long.  I have 10 rounds of 40, and it is in a very small package.  I would give up a lot of my guns before I gave up the G27.

And yet your username is Glock23c.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Go for the Glock !!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And yet your username is Glock23c. hr

Yea, but that G27 can go in smaller places than the G23, so it gets the vote!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]

This is my Glock-27.

Pluses:

1) Small size
2) 40 seems to have a better track record than 9mm
3) Reasonable ammo capacity
4) Can use higher capacity mags from other Glock models (I forget which ones)
5) Ready to fire immediately

Minuses:

1) The grip only has provisions for two fingers, not all three
2)Controllable but tTends to whip about due to having a high pressure cartridge in a compact gun.
3) No external safetys [some find that a possible problem]

Now, having said that I can say that I do like it very much. I had to grip it differently than I would my 1911. At first the back of the frame, at the top rear of the grip, would beat up the area of my hand between my thumb and the finger next to it.

Aftergripping it tighter with my thumb and middle finger that problem went away.

Now, I haven't used a Kahr so I can't honestly comment about them.

I have heard rumors are that are over rated but I think it would be best to ask someone who owns one the +'s and -'s...

of course, nothing beats trying one if you can rent one somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Edited because Kevin beat me to the punch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay, here comes my .02.  I have the KahrK9 and P9.  They fit my hand much better than the little Glock micros do.  Both are very accurate.  My K9 has the large dot AO express nite sights and my P9 has regular trijicon nite sights.  Have shot the MKseries but don't own any (yet).  Do plan to upgrade to the .40 S&W K40 and P40 this year.  Down sides, the plate that holds the slide stop retention spring in place on the P series have been problematic in the early guns.  The K series guns seem heavy for their size, but I use +P+ ammo in mine so I like the extra weight. Oh yes and some people will jump on you about the Kahr being built by the "moonies".
www.kahr.com/
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#11]
 I Do own the Kahr MK9 . I love it . It is my primary carry gun . It fits in a .380 holster to tell you how small it is . Yeah you get a couple less rds than the glock but just carry an extra mag and you are good to go . If you want to carry an assult weapon than carry your AR-15 .

Often times I carry my MK9 in my pants pocket .
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Ironic you should ask! My brother-in-law and I went shooting yesterday.  He brought his new Kahr .40 I think p40 (the one with the polymer frame).  He also has a p9 (9mm) that works great.  We both have several Glocks which are accurate out of the box and never jam with any type of ammo we have used.  Now, back to the Kahr .40, The gun was properly cleaned prior to firing, and two mags were used.  Several types of ammo were also used.  On every single shot and slide release, the slide would fail to go completely into battery and would require a push to go all the way in.  We shot about 150 rounds hoping it just needed a "break in", but no luck.  It was ashame, because the little gun was spinning the plate around every shot at 12 yards.  Also, the trigger pin kept creeping out.
So bad luck 50% of the time I've shot a Kahr, Good luck 100% of the time with a Glock.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ironic you should ask! My brother-in-law and I went shooting yesterday.  He brought his new Kahr .40 I think p40 (the one with the polymer frame).  He also has a p9 (9mm) that works great.  We both have several Glocks which are accurate out of the box and never jam with any type of ammo we have used.  Now, back to the Kahr .40, The gun was properly cleaned prior to firing, and two mags were used.  Several types of ammo were also used.  On every single shot and slide release, the slide would fail to go completely into battery and would require a push to go all the way in.  We shot about 150 rounds hoping it just needed a "break in", but no luck.  It was ashame, because the little gun was spinning the plate around every shot at 12 yards.  Also, the trigger pin kept creeping out.
So bad luck 50% of the time I've shot a Kahr, Good luck 100% of the time with a Glock.

How unfortunate about the Kahr.  But then even with a Glock you should take it to the range and shoot a few thousand rounds just to be sure that it works properly. I think the Kahr needs to be returned to the factory for some repairs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I have owned both of them. Liked both, but the Kahr was heavier and not accurate as the Glock. Kept the Glock, sold the Kahr.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the replies folks.  I do have a couple hi-cap mags (as you might expect) in both 9 and 40, and that tends to lead me toward the glock, but I picked up a Kahr the other day and they are so damn slim and trim compared a chunky Glock......so I am torn.

C'mon Kahr owners, more comments  [edited to say that I did not mean to say there is anything wrong with chunky -- I have a G19 -- just different]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I have both the K9 and P9 and carry the P9 regularly in the summer months.  The winter months see me with a BHP in .357SIG.  

I am happy with both of mine but there are two things that you should know about them.  

First, they were designed to be used with 115gr. bullets - Win Silvertips to be exact.  A call to the factory informed me of that when I had poor accuracy with my favorite 147gr. load.

Secondly, some of the early production runs had one piece slide stop lever/axel assemblies.  The mag spring did not have the balls to rotate the entire assembly up to engage the slide at the end of a mag.  Since then the design has been changed to allow the lever to rotate independantly of the axel.  This solved the problem and KAHR will happily replace the old ones if you call or e-mail.

The .40 S&W is a handful to shoot in the little gun and if I was going to do it (or use one in .357SIG) I would use the all steel model.  John Farnum carries the K40 regularly and loves it.

It is slender and it will carry well anywhere you put it.

Mario  
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Own both the Glock and Kahr Mk9 in 9mm!  I have the GLock 33, the little glock in 357SIG!

Both guns are a little flippy! but the MK9 is so small it fits in any condition compared to the chunky glock!  

If you have small waist and small size, the MK9 may be it because of its concealablilty!  the GLock would be nice if you have the extra room and somthing to hide the gun~!

Both shoots good and have no hiccups!

DAveC
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#19]
HiCap,

It sounds like you've already got a couple of Glocks. Get the G27 then, that way no matter what weapon you've got it pretty much works and feels the same. No need to learn another trigger pull. Good logistics where spare parts are concerned. Good logistics for holsters, too.

I've got a 23 and a 27 and I consider them interchangeable except for size. If you get the 27, don't bother with the pinky rest mag plates, they make the weapon as tall as a 23. With a little practice you can shoot it well with just 2 fingers on the grip. I don't even notice anymore, and I have very small hands to boot. If you must have the pinky, go with the 23.

Finally, with the 27, don't change anything! They are very sensitive to aftermarket parts, much more so than the larger Glocks. I've seen a lot of reliability problems on mod'd mini-Glocks, my own included. Mine's back to box stock (the 23's another story :-)
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I need a little, concealable, full power pistol.

Which one of these would you get and why?

Thanks to all.

I have both a Glock G27 and Kahr K9 Elite 98.  Both are great guns, although somewhat different.  Buy what fits your hand better.

G27:
I expected that the two-fingured grip would be a problem, but it wasn't.  I added a +1 to bring the magazine up to a full ten rounds, and give me a three-fingered grip.

Reliable, easy to control, accurate.

K9:
Slimmer, easier to conceal in some cases.  Easier to grip for those of us who are digitally-challenged (small hands).

Reliable, easy to control, accurate.

The extra weight helps control recoil, although a polymer framed P9 would be lighter.

Good luck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top