Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2002 4:59:08 PM EDT
Just thought I'd say hey. I am currently thinking real hard about an AR-15 so I thought I'd browse around here to pick up some pointers from you guys/gals.

I have shot an older pre-ban Colt, but other than that I really have no clues about them.

Uppers, lowers, 16" 20" etc.

So 2 quick questions.

Of all the things you have learned the hard way about your AR's what would the best advice you could pass along to a newby like me be.

And if you were interested in a less than 20" BBL configuration what would your perfect rifle be?

Thanks in advance
slickrick 66
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome.

If it feels good, buy it.

Nobody else has to shoot your rifle, so pick something that feels good in YOUR hands.

There's no such thing as a bad AR IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#3]
And yes it is an expensive habit to start, but it is a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#4]
BTT

Come on , you mean no one has any beginners advice ????
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, I'm new also, slickrick! I guess we can be clueless together
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I dunno if this is a wise choice...but I've been thinking of getting an DPMS A-15 Panther. I know I'm in no position to give advice, but I think it looks pretty good. Accurate, relatively affordable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm new here as well.  Doing a lot of askin' and shoppin'.  There is a great "beginners" thread in "Build Your own" forum. Try this:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=88203
There is also a good read in the Articles section.  Good luck and keep us updated!

AB
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#9]

What geezhound said. Learn all you can from this site and any other source you can find. But go to gun shops, shows, and ranges to see and hold AR's and if possible, shoot them. Get the one that you like, but don't be surprised if after a while your tastes change to something different. My first AR was a 20 inch heavy barrel, but now I prefer 16 inch lightweights.
Get a quality gun and you can't go wrong. You can always change uppers and then you have a "new" rifle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Start cheap. Buy or build a post ban it'll cost you 600 to 700 to do.  If you build (by far the beast way to go since you learn a TON along the way), get Duncan Long's book "THe AR15/M-16 - A Practial Guide" which has history as well as all you need to know to build,  assemble, dis-assemble etc. an AR

After you get "hooked" ($$$) you'll find that you  will never sell your first AR.  For tha matter here's a little piece of advice... NEVER sell a part of your "collection". Ever!

You cannnot replace it for what you put in it initially.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#11]
What are you planning to do with it?  The great thing about the AR is the modular design.  The combinations are only limited by your imagination.  Personally, I like using mine in highpower rifle competition.  I like the idea of using an AR without a scope and placing a bullet in a 6 in circle.....600 yards away.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Welcome I'm new also but what I learned in the last month or so is unreal. I just got my AR15 after talking to these guys I picked a Bushmaster 20" Flat top. The only advice I could give is research and decide what is best for you. These guys will not steer you in the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't worry about not having a chrome-lined barrel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I would get a Springfield M1A with 22"BBL, and a 20 20 rd magazines.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys,  I have been looking and reading a lot lately and was thinking about a Bushmaster or Colt. Are there any .308 versions that are worthwhile(reasonably priced) looking at?

I'm torn between the 20" normal stock and the 16" Fake collapsable stock. The latter are readily in stock where I buy my guns.

I will use it primarily for fun at the range/Deer lease, and God forbid if the SHTF for protection. Since I will not be in any competition or real serious accuracy type shooting, I am leaning more towards the shorty versions.

The more I read, hopefully the easier the choice will be

I have heard for practical/defensive purposes the 20 rounders are more reliable than 30 and 40 round magazines, Is that correct?

Also which Thermold is the best, I heard there were several versions
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I did It!!!

I ended up with a Bushmaster XM-15 E2S 20" A3 H-bar. I figure I can buy another upper or BBL assembly later if I want a 16" version. I just shot it yesterday for the first time, and it shot great. As I was sighting it in, I shot several 3 shot groups that were clover leafed, then I started scattering a bit. So I headed home To give it a good cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks,

I am thinking about buying 2 or 3 each of NIW 20 and 30 round Colts to keep on hand (I know, they are expensive), and then get a bunch of USGI used. Where is the cheapest Place to buy Mags on-line.....I know  I can check the echange forum here, but since I am new and I don't really know anyone's reputation yet, I want to start off with on-line businesses first, then next gun-show I'll get a bunch.

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Chck the Equipment Exchange often.  I go there before and after each visit here.  I used to pay the 30 bucks for new Thermoldsuntil I found this place, now I won't spend more than 20 bucks a pop.

I've also bought 2 uppers from there.  It's a sickness
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#20]
 I wouldn't even bother with the Colt mags. You can buy 2 others for the price of one Colt. Just check the feed lips, bottom tabs, butt plate, springs to make sure they're good. The finish? Who cares? They're mags.
 I'd also hold off on buying Wolff springs and green followers, and magpulls, and all the rest....sheesh. Save your money for ammo before you turn your rifle into a 50lbs-37mm-Aimpoint-Knight-Surefire-RediMag-TacLatch-TacSling-TacEverything-Bayonet Nose-SHTF neck ornament. Make-up can't really disguise an ugly chick, and UrbanTacOpsSOFBlackEagleSAS Consumer Supplies can't really disguise a lousy shooter.
 Hey, by the way, WELCOME! And please stay away from the "Reverse Discrimination Why Do Blacks, Gays, Illegals, and Jews Get Special Treatment At The Expense Of The Oppressed White Men" threads. They kinda make you think twice about some of our fellow gun owners.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top