Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2002 3:28:09 PM EDT
As most of you know I bought a new Springfield Armory "Loaded" model 1911.  It has a lot of added features..including a three hole lightweight trigger.  I was at the SA web site and this model is listed as having an adjustable trigger(Or maybe I read this elsewhere).  

Anyway after looking at the trigger I see that there is a small allan screw inside the bottom hole of the trigger.  The small allen wrench that came with the pistol fits the screw and it turns easily.  The manual doesn't say anything about an adjustable trigger or what this screw is for.  So if it is adjustable what exactly does it adjust....length of pull....trigger weight??  If it isn't an adjustment then what is this screw for??

Please help!!!!!  I hate not knowing what this damn thing is for!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I read the same thing at the springfield site so I am going on the same info you have.  I assumed it was adjusting length of pull.  I am still waiting on my 1911 LEGP to check it out so I can't help any further than that.

edited to say I found it again:

"Springfield's Custom Loaded 1911s have trigger overtravel adjustability, a feature most shooters would expect from special custom models or as a pricey add-on. "

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The set screw adjusts the amount of "overtravel" for the trigger.  If you adjust it without knowing what you're doing, you could accidently take out too much overtravel, resulting in the sear catching on the "half-cock" shelf, in turn ruining your sear and nice crisp trigger job... Oh yeah, the gun won't fire either.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
It is to adjust the overtravel. Unless you have some experience working on these pistols it is probably best to leave it where it was set at the factory. Unless you are an advanced handgun shooter it is unlikely that you would notice any difference by adjusting it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes the screw adjusts overtravel, which is how much further the trigger can travel after it has tripped the sear. I hate to tell you this but those screws are a very bad idea for a defensive pistol. If it  moves out of adjustment it can prevent the gun from firing! If you only plan to use the pistol for competetion then fine but for a defensive pistol you may even want to remove it.

You cannot adjust length of pull with this. the only way I know to adjust LOP is by installing a trigger with a shorter 'button'.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The other guys are right, the allen screw is to adjust trigger overtravel. To adjust overtravel, unload the pistol and turn the screw inward (clockwise when viewed from the muzzle) a little bit at a time until the hammer no longer falls. It's best to have the hammer fall against the pad of your left thumb to save the sear edge and hammer halfcock notch. Back the screw out (counter-clockwise) a half turn and check that the hammer will completely fall 15-20 times in a row. If not back the screw out another quarter turn and retest. Once you successfully pass the hammer fall test, apply ONE drop of wicking locktite #290 (green) to the screw with a toothpick (don't get carried away or you'll glue your trigger in place). The locktite keeps the screw from moving and disabling the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#6]
WOW!!  Thanks guys..your the best source of firearms info a guy can have!!  I feel better now.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:12:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally, if it was mine and I was going to use it for self-defense, I’d take the screw out and be done with it.  Any benefit is far outweighed by the possibility of it getting out of adjustment and taking the pistol out of commission.

Don’t know if it’s true, but I was told quite a few years ago that a LEO lost his life in a gunfight after the trigger stop on his S&W revolver (same concept) got loose and bound up his revolver.  I do know that we had to go through all the revolvers where I worked at the time and remove all the stops.

Keep in mind this screw butts up against the magazine catch.  If you swap out the magazine catch for any reason, it’s a good idea to recheck the screw setting.

I read recently that supposedly some rifle competition shooters are getting away from the trigger stop concept, feeling that having the trigger abruptly stop immediately after tripping the striker actually induces a little bit of a jerk.  Apparently they’d prefer the trigger to continue backwards a ways.  I don’t know if the concept would also apply to handguns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top