Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2002 9:37:52 AM EDT
I finally got out to the range yesterday. (Sat.)  

Fit and finish are great. All parts are new GI, new walnut stock, shipped with 4 clips. The roll stamp is just as the original with a bigger serial number.

As shipped from the factory, it was zeroed in using the windage knob instead of the front sight (pet peeve). So I started by zeroing in at 100 yards with UMC 150 gr .30-06 off the bench.

For groups I had to shoot series of 4 shot sets.  I would have like to have shot 5 shot sets, but what can you do with an 8 shot weapon that you can not top off.  With the course of the day I shot 10 sets of 4 shots.

smallest was a 1 inch
largest was 2.5 inches
5 groups hovered around 1.5 inches.

For a battle rifle with battle sights (non national match, which I might add latter) and battle trigger, that is not too bad.  I have some 150 gr Sierra Matchkings and some IMR 4064 I will put to use to see if this improves any.

Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Let's see some pictures of this new rifle!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, we need some pics. How much was it? Just curious, but what is the serial number range? Did they start off with new numbers (000001), or did the start somewhere up in the millions?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#3]
i'm not too knowlegeable on garands...

Does SA producing NEW garands?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll see what I can do about pic's. I don't have a digital camera, but I can prob get my hands on one.  

The serial no started off (I assume) in the 2 million mark.

With tax and all it was about 9 bills.

Yea, SA is doing a limited run of Garands in .30-06 and .308
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i'm not too knowlegeable on garands...

Does SA producing NEW garands?

From what I understand in recents aidvertisements in the regular gun magazines, Springfield Armory is manufacturing M1 Garands with new recievers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#6]
FYI, you can get 2-round and 5-round Garand clips.

I use a 8 and a 2 for Garand matches. Some people use 2 5-round clips.

Congrats on the new rifle. Let's see some pics!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a flame, but how can all the parts be NEW GI?  I understand the SA new aftermarket, non-GI reciever, but where did they find a stash of all new Garand GI parts?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I was at olde english the other day, and he said they're all gone, and springfield isn't shipping any more. Bummer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]
LarryG:

Good question, Prob the same place Foulton Armoury, Orion and the other do...

crumabn:

As I understand it, only 10,000 were made.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#10]
If only 10,000 were made, do you suppose these will accrue some slight collector's value?  I had a chance to buy one and passed on it.  Phoey.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I`m going to have ask my dealer where mine is.I ordered it in oct, and no word yet.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't count on all the parts being new.Used parts with new G.I. spec parkerizing is probably what you're getting.But as long as the parts are still in spec they will be OK. Fed Ex will be delivering my CMP Garand this week. I'll report on it ASAP.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#13]
My local gun shop had one but the reciever did not have "Springfield Armory" on it like the ones did back in the late 80's.  

According to his information, Springfield is going to start making the M-1 with their name on the reciever, does anyone know if this is true?  He said they won't be available until May/June ??  Price will be about $750-$800.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not a flame, but how can all the parts be NEW GI?  I understand the SA new aftermarket, non-GI reciever, but where did they find a stash of all new Garand GI parts?

Could they be..... new parts that fit GI spec?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top