Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2002 3:51:25 PM EDT
i have 2 original ruger 10/22 mags..

one is brand new ...the other has about 500-100 rounds thru it

today at the range they were both failing about every 3-5 rd round or so to lift the next cartridge to the fully raised position ..kinda like the spring was weak/broken but as i say, one mag is brand new
as a result , as the bolt came forward it wasnt stripping the round and chambering it

anyone have this experience with these rotary magazines??
what did you do to resolve the problem??

any other suggestions??
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Try going to Rimfire central. IIRC, they have a  pretty detailed section on how to cure this problem. Edited to add:www.rimfirecentral.com/
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I took my 10-22 out last weekend.  The same thing happen to me.  I used the rotary mag and it jamed several times.  I then put in one of the cheap plastic 10 rounders.  Everything worked fine for the next hundred or so rounds.  I have heard that the roary mags don't work well but I don't know how to fix them.  For $10 you can get the plastic banana 10 round clips and they work OK.

I don't use my 25 and 50 rounders because I'm waiting for them to be worth $5000 a piece so I can sell them and buy a Corvette.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]
i went to the rimfire site and the fix seems to be to back off the front hex ~1/8 turn to eliminate internal binding

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/fdgroups/forum04.pl?read=2237

Link Posted: 1/26/2002 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#4]
LEARN how to take the mag apart and clean the crud out of it and the steel lip feed part. READ your owners manual, tells how much to "PRE-LOAD" the hex bolt so spring will turn the rotor.

Repaired link for previous post:
www.rimfirecentral.com/fdgroups/forum04.pl?read=2237
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
manual says that at the factory,the end cap nut is tighted until the rotor stops rotating.. then an additional 1 1/4 turns past the stop position...
this soundss to me like it would definitively bind the rotor..shouldnt it read to tighten to the point where the rotor stops turning then to BACKOFF 1 1/4 turns???

i'm misunderstanding this if the manual reads correctly..
by the way one mag that was not feeding was fresh out of the package..first day at the range!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is another link on cleaning 10/22 magazines - www.gunsmoke.com/scot/guns/1022/mags.html
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is another link on cleaning 10/22 magazines - www.gunsmoke.com/scot/guns/1022/mags.html
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Your rifle probably needs cleaning.  My buckmark functions perfect until about 1250 rounds when it gets real dirty I have to strip it an clean her up real good.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I have used several rotary magazines for my 10/22 that were Ruger made and have never had any jams or other kinds of problems.  Of course, I do clean them throughly every once in a while.  I suggest you check the mags to ensure that the lips are not damaged and that you clean them often.  On the other hand, I do have two HotLips 30 rounds mags that have never worked right....I just hate them!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#11]
It`s all about dirt........at the least.....shoot gunscrub or brakeleen thru the mags periodically.....and thrugh the gun every 500 rds or so........10-22`s don`t fail for any other reason.......except broken parts.....(rare)...............
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top