Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2002 9:27:29 PM EDT
I have a guy at the Operation Flashpoint forums that beleives the the FN FAL, G3, and M-14 are assault rifles.

can someone give me a link to the military defenition of Battle Rifle? or provide it here?

i would appreciate it

lib
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
my understanding is that assault rifle is selective fire and large cap detachable mags (more than garand for example)
im sure others here are more knowledgeable o this definiton than me tho
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I am pretty sure that a battle rifle is just anything in a large caliber, .308, while an assault rifle is in a small caliber, .223. thats what I hear anyway
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess .308 could be considered a step away from the battle rifle and towards the assault rifle.  Somewhere between the .30-06/8mm Mauser crowd and the 5.56/5.45/7.62x39 crowd.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:33:37 AM EDT
[#4]
My opinion only, I don’t have a link.

The term assault rifle has two meanings.  First is the legal one, which keeps changing, and is essentially meaningless.  Pretty soon BB guns will be assault rifles.

The military definition is a different.  By it, an assault rifle is a rifle that is optimized for use by a foot soldier to lay down suppressive fire while running towards, or “assaulting”, a position held by enemy troops.  It has the following characteristics:

It is portable enough that the foot soldier can carry it and a large quantity of ammunition for it while moving.

It is full auto, so a lot of lead can be sent downrange quickly.

It uses high-capacity, easily changed magazines, for the same reason.

The round it uses has more power than the pistol cartridge of a sub-machine gun but is less powerful than a battle rifle round.  The 7.62X39 is the perfect example of this intermediate round.  This intermediate power round allows reasonably accurate full auto firing while moving.  The substantial recoil of the tradition battle rifle hinders its use in this role use by most soldiers.

On the other hand, the assault rifle lacks the long range and penetration capabilities of the battle rifle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:39:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is one source:

www.shadeslanding.com/firearms/assault.weapon.html

EXCERPTS:
Thus, as the United States Defense Department's Defense Intelligence Agency book Small Arms Identification and Operation Guide explains, "assault rifles" are "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachinegun and rifle cartridges." [27]

In sum, the types of weapons targeted by current legislation are not assault rifles at all; the prohibited "assault weapons" are only capable of semiautomatic fire.

While the Defense Intelligence Agency's term of art "assault rifle" has a precise and technical meaning, the phrase "assault weapon" invented by the anti-gun lobby has no clear meaning. No gun that is an "assault rifle" (by Defense Intelligence Agency definition) is an "assault weapon" (by Handgun Control, Inc. definition) because all "assault rifles" are automatic, and no "assault weapons" are automatic. "Assault rifles" are used by the military, whereas no "assault weapon" is used by the military. "Assault rifles" are all rifles, whereas "assault weapons" are claimed to include semiautomatic rifles, semiautomatic shotguns, revolver-action shotguns, semiautomatic handguns, and semiautomatic airguns. [32] In truth, a "semiautomatic assault weapon" is a logical impossibility, akin to a "four-wheel tricycle."

Weapons capable of fully automatic fire, including assault rifles, have been regulated heavily in the United States since the National Firearms Act of 1934. Possession of such a gun requires a $200 federal transfer tax and an FBI background check. Automatics (including assault rifles) produced after May 1986 may not be possessed at all. (The lower federal courts have disagreed about the Constitutionality of the post-1986 ban, and the Supreme Court has declined to review the issue.) [28]

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks misterhemi.

i need to know where the term "Battle Rifle" came from and if there is an official US definition.

lib
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#7]
the term battle rifle means just what is says. the term battle rifle reffers to rifle such as the mosinagant, springfield 1903, and m1 garand. it means any rifle that was designed for battle that fires a full power rifle round. the term assault rifle was coined around the time of world war II. the germans decided that based off statisic (for reasons that I understand but don't feel like going into) that a light weight rifle with and intermediate power rifle round, and full auto capability were highly desirable. the name of the weapon that the created translated into english means assault rifle.

any rifle created for battle that uses a full power rifle round is a battle rifle. that means m14s, g3s, and fals are battle rifles

tell me if this helps
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Sturmgewehr or storm rifle was the first assault rifle it fired a 8mm short the russians where so impressed with it that they came out with they're own round the 7.62x39 in 1943
the battle rile fires the full size round
30-06, 8mm, 303 brit ect.   Bluemax
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the term battle rifle means just what is says. the term battle rifle reffers to rifle such as the mosinagant, springfield 1903, and m1 garand. it means any rifle that was designed for battle that fires a full power rifle round. the term assault rifle was coined around the time of world war II. the germans decided that based off statisic (for reasons that I understand but don't feel like going into) that a light weight rifle with and intermediate power rifle round, and full auto capability were highly desirable. the name of the weapon that the created translated into english means assault rifle.

any rifle created for battle that uses a full power rifle round is a battle rifle. that means m14s, g3s, and fals are battle rifles

tell me if this helps

unless its official, not really. i've said as much in the debate. which i am winning
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd find something better to argue about.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Sturmgewehr 3 is the G3 (semi auto version = HK91)
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'd find something better to argue about.

I'd find something better to do then waste topic space with unproductive whims.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top