Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2002 6:15:33 PM EDT
I will post pics when I pick it up after my 10 day wait. The rifle is a Remington 700 SS "Mil Spec" .308. When I saw that I thought it different enough that I figured I'd make it my first non military bolt rifle. The gun shop could tell me nothing as far as what the "Mil Spec" meant. So I emailed Remington. It seems I purchased a rifle with a limited production run. Hopefully it will shoot as well as it looks.

My email: I was looking at this rifle at a gun shop today with the thought of making a purchase. I was wondering what the barrel twist rate is and the type of groove cut. They could not supply me with this information. Does the chamber on this rifle differ from your standard .308 chamber? Thank you.

Their reply: Welcome to Remington Country!

The firearm you are inquiring on is a special run that was manufactured in 2001.  The barrels have a 5-R rifling.  This is the same rifling used on the M-24 SWS Law Enforcement Model.  There are 5 lands as opposed to the normal 6 land configuration.  The lands are tapered at 110 degrees.  This leads to less bullet deformation for greater accuracy.

The rate of twist is 1:11.24".  This twist is optimized for M118 Ball ammo as specified by the U. S. Army.

Thank you for interest in Remington products!
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Where'd you find it?  I've been searching for the M-24/Remington for a while now and every time one hits the board, it goes pretty quickly.

The 5R barrel was produced in small numbers. That 24" inch Rem700 SS Mil-Spec is a rare piece.  My dealer has one as his personal rifle and it shoots sub-MOA all the way out to 800 yards using Black Hills 175 gr HPBT.

If you come across another one, please let me know.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a piece of shit.  I'll give you $100 bucks for it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Check on www.gunsamerica.com/.

I saw a couple of 'em on there.

:
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Where'd you find it?  I've been searching for the M-24/Remington for a while now and every time one hits the board, it goes pretty quickly.

The 5R barrel was produced in small numbers. That 24" inch Rem700 SS Mil-Spec is a rare piece.  My dealer has one as his personal rifle and it shoots sub-MOA all the way out to 800 yards using Black Hills 175 gr HPBT.

If you come across another one, please let me know.  

I bought it at Wild Sports in Sacramento. Was not cheap but when I found out it was a limited run I figured it was worth it.

BusMaster007
I guess I won't need to post a pic because it looks just like that. Right down to the scope I have sitting here waiting to be mounted on it!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait one Damn minute!!!  I have been to Wild Sports many times over the last couple of months and have never seen a Rem. 700 in .308!!  They only had the .223 and the .300 Rem Ultra Mag.  I asked them if they ever was going to get a 700 in .308 and they replied that it was unlikely until the others had sold.  I clearly remember telling the sales manager to let me know if they ever got a .308 model 700.  Obviously they didn't and now you own the rifle that was meant for me!!!

In all fairness I think that you should sell this rifle to me.....at a loss of course to make up for the emotional trauma I have gone thru.....it's the right thing to do

At least let me shoot it next weekend....I have 160rnds of fresh ammo..................PLEASE!!!!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:12:07 AM EDT
[#6]
SgtAR15,

Sounds like you are spoiled. See you Sunday...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top