Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2002 3:17:20 PM EDT
I have to say I feel like a defeated gun owner.  I am so frustrated at how difficult it is to be a gun owner in America.  I just returned from Mail Box Etc. where the worthless cashier made a huge scene because I was trying to mail a barrel to a gunsmith.  After taking my mailing label, she essentially yelled at me.  Stating that she couldn't mail gun parts.  I quickly and politely replied that there was not a gun in the package.  Her quick response was "we wouldn't even mail a trigger.  You need to take this somewhere else."  I couldn't believe it.  I feel so bad that in my country it's easier to get a student visa from a terrorist nation than for me to mail a barrel. I guess I'm so frustrated because I believe in the Constitution so deeply.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope you called her a stupid bitch before you left.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
All that use these forums need to know about antigun businesses such as this.  There are plenty of other places to spend our money.  I would, nevertheless, write a letter to the home office regarding this employees' behavior.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I would certainly try to find out if that is a Mail Box Etc. corporate policy.  If it is not, maybe you can file a conplaint against this person.

Contact Mail Box Etc
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always wondered where a feminist can get a job after a Woman's Studies degree.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#5]
How'd the stupid lady behind the counter find out that you were shipping a barrel anyway?  Just tell her it is a precision machined stainless steel forging for a car.  Those sheeple won't know it is a 1911 barrel anyway without a complete gun.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I mailed my bushamaster to its new owner at one of those  places, I showed the FFL and paid through the nose for FED EX to pick it up. The cunt just don't like guns or the people who like em.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Warlord, the cashier saw that I was shipping to Kurts Kustom Firearms.  She asked and I just answered that the package contained gun parts.  

Thanks for the comments everyone.  I feel a little better now.  I have to remember that I can make decisions also.  I've decided to take my business to gun friendly establishments and to avoid businesses that even present a neutral attitude.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#8]
We should say they discriminated.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey maybe she thought you fit a profile?
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#10]
www.mbe.com/NavFrameSource.cfm?height=49&left=leftnavContactMBE.htm&content=ContactMBE/contactmbe.cfm

Its time to start flooding them with email.  Click on the link then, Customer Service, and Customer Service again.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#11]
You should give us the location of that store so we can write emails and complain. How about a few hundred emails saying that we will not use Mail Box Ect. for ANY business? It is not againt the law to ship firearm parts.  I remember another store that turned on gun owners, do you? It was called KMart and look at them now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Warlord, the cashier saw that I was shipping to Kurts Kustom Firearms. She asked and I just answered that the package contained gun parts.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I feel a little better now. I have to remember that I can make decisions also. I've decided to take my business to gun friendly establishments and to avoid businesses that even present a neutral attitude.

It's a bad idea to spell out the name of the recipient if it has a firearm related name. Not because of the discriminatory bullshit that you encountered, but because of the thief-bait aspect. I just write KKF on the label. It could mean Kurly's Kool Funhouse for all anyone else knows.
I have no idea what MBE's full policy on firearms is, but I would imagine it to be the same as UPS and Federal Express since they're an agent for both. I've encountered small-minded UPS counter nazis who'd like to impose THEIR views and beliefs on me when shipping firearms ("You have to be a dealer" "It's against the law") and I've always defused the situation by asking for a manager and making it known that I'm not leaving until my package is shipped. Keep right on marching it up their little chain of command and interrupt a manager's activities because some jackass won't do his/her job. It's never failed on me yet. You gave up too easily.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, I've had the same experience with a Mailboxes Etc. The explanation I got from the owner (who is a gun enthusiast) is that it's now illegal for a third party to ship a firearm, or firearm parts.  
He said it went into effect two years ago. He says he's lost tons of business because of it, and that he has to turn down customers at least three times a week.

You can still ship them via UPS and USPS, but not through a third party.

Haven't checked to see how specific the law is myself, but this is what he told me.

Hope this helps clear the subject up somewhat.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Let me give you an illustration of the colussal power of collective bargaining.  in 1930, the average Ford line worker made $1 per day, working 12 hours per day, 6 days per week, with NO breaks!  Ford sent his goons around to your house regularly, and if you were caught smoking or drinking or swearing, you were fired forever on the spot ! But when the unions came in and organized the workers, they handed Henry Ford his lunch on a plate.  They beat the richest and most powerful industrialist in the world at his own game.  Today, the unions sit on the boards of the automakers and tell them how to make their cars and how much to charge.  I am NOT a fan of unions, by any stretch, but I understand that workers without representation become slaves. There is great political power in numbers.  

I think everyone in this thread has made a valuable contribution, espectially the guy who put up the e-mail link to the offending company.  We should all send e-mails, 2 or 3 dozen of us, or more, and identify the sanctimonious and obnoxious bitch who is preaching to customers.  She and the branch office should be identified as closely as possible so the company can take disciplinary action.  The company should be advised that because of the reckless and irresponsible belligerence of this one bitch, they could lose thousands in revenue because we are an entire NATION of law-abiding shooters and we communicate fluently and instantly by e-mail.  We intend to boycot the company by tbe hundreds or thousands until the bitch has learned to treat people with some common courtesy, or is fired. As soon as the company realizes that this issue could cost them some revenue, they will probably take action immediately.  This is not about who's right or wrong, it's about money.

I will watch this thread and post my complaint as soon as you post the details about the employee and her branch.

- Beldar
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ok, I've had the same experience with a Mailboxes Etc. The explanation I got from the owner (who is a gun enthusiast) is that it's now illegal for a third party to ship a firearm, or firearm parts.  
He said it went into effect two years ago.

He's full of sh&t! (or doesn't know what the H#ll he's talking about). I had a similar experience in a post office. I had to go all the way to the postmaster to get it straightened out. Clerk told me it was illegal to ship parts! Next time I'm going to make them arrest me if they think it's illegal.
Hey, it will make the papers and wake alot of idiots up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's full of sh&t! (or doesn't know what the H#ll he's talking about). I had a similar experience in a post office. I had to go all the way to the postmaster to get it straightened out. Clerk told me it was illegal to ship parts! Next time I'm going to make them arrest me if they think it's illegal.

Did you not read what I wrote (this seems to be a common problem)? I said that it was legal to ship it via USPS.

A third party is someone who acts as a shipping agent for you (i.e. Mailboxes).

This guy AGAIN is a gun enthusiast himself, and apologized for not being able to ship my firearm. But from is understanding it is the law.

I hope he was wrong, but until somebody can prove otherwise I have to believe that he's right.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Parts is parts.  If it's not the serialized component (the receiver, or lower receiver in the case of an AR), it's a piece of metal that can be shipped with NO legal restrictions, excepting ONLY high capacity magazines in the communist countries (states) that don't allow them.

Any other policy enacted by a shipping company is a VIOLATION OF LAW.   I'm pretty sure I've seen a reference in postal law that doesn't allow third party shippers to place content restrictions of their own on the items shipped, but of course all postal regs have to be complied with.

CJ

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Shipping through a third party is against postal regulations, but as far as UPS and Federal Express are concerned, that's an individual policy, not a law. Ask WHICH law and for a definition. I'd bet that'd send 'em into a round room looking for a corner.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#19]
sounds like you need to sue them for discrimination  .
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Some of you guys have the crazy idea that the people who work in these places actually care!  Asking them to cite a law or reg?  "We just aren't doing it.  We can turn down anything we want for shipping.  Now take that evil gun stuff and hit the road, Jack!  Before I call the cops!"
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Some of you guys have the crazy idea that the people who work in these places actually care! Asking them to cite a law or reg? "We just aren't doing it. We can turn down anything we want for shipping. Now take that evil gun stuff and hit the road, Jack! Before I call the cops!"

Nope, sorry. I went to the trouble of packing up my gear, I pay my bills on time, and I ain't taking shit off of some slack-ass-piece-of-shit-who-never-graduated-high-school-get-the-manager-and-get-him-NOW-asshole. What's so fundamentally hard to understand about that? It's their policy to ship firearms, so ship 'em. WTF is so hard to understand about that? Debate's over.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#22]
'Scuse me.  I shoulda said, "Hit the road, JIM!"

"One Adam 12, One Adam 12, man causing disturbance at Mailboxes, Etc.  Caller says he has a gun.  Handle Code 3 . . ."
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Shipping through a third party is against postal regulations, but as far as UPS and Federal Express are concerned, that's an individual policy, not a law. Ask WHICH law and for a definition. I'd bet that'd send 'em into a round room looking for a corner.

Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe we should be going after UPS and FedEX instead of Mailboxes. Obviously they're only following the guidelines of the shipping companies.

But then, putting heat on Mailboxes in order to put heat on them wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Repeat after me.

Machine parts.  yes I want insurance, don't worry about breaking it, worry about losing it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I have mailed firearms, ammo, and parts from Mail Boxes Etc.  I have them shipped UPS from them...we have two locations in Columbia..

I have had a couple of small problems but nothing bad..

1) girl behind counter wanted me to mail two cases of ammo by USPS..I informed her that this could not be done..she insisted...I again told her that the USPS could not ship explosives...she said she would have to call her boss...I waited..she called...she apologized for being a stupid bitch (actaully she just apologized for being wrong)

2) guy asks if this firearm is going to the maker for repairs...I said..that does not concern you or UPS who is shipping it.  I am shipping it legally to a FFL holder.  He said...okay.

medcop
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Today, the unions sit on the boards of the automakers and tell them how to make their cars and how much to charge.  I am NOT a fan of unions, by any stretch, but I understand that workers without representation become slaves. There is great political power in numbers.  

- Beldar

So that explains the steady decline of Detroit over the last 30 years.  

This problem has little to do with unionizing.  Collective bargaining doesn't work against a business that you aren't working for.  The slow and steady boycott does appear to have some influence over businesses however.  That is collective bargaining in a way, but without shady mafiosoes collecting union dues.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Less than a year ago I mailed a 16" AR flat top upper from Mail Boxes in Boston, and simply labeled it "barrel".  They took it no problems.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#28]
It's none of their fucking business if you are shipping firearms parts. They aren't anything more than pieces of metal.

BTW, Machine Parts, Springs, Tubes all work fine.

Yeah, I'm shipping a tubular piece of metal that is a machine part.

I never inform these assholes what is in my box and if they ask, I will say anything other than firearms parts.

As far as KKF goes, just label your packages Kurt's Kustoms. Alot less questions. Avoid placing the words firearms, guns, etc...on a package. Even if it goes through, some of the crooks at UPS, etc...will probably steal it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I've always wondered where a feminist can get a job after a Woman's Studies degree.

There are 3 career tracks that WS degree holders can pursue:

1. Intend on suing someone/someplace for discrimination and:
 a) Force them to hire you, OR
 b) Force them to payout a settlement.

2. Get a grad. degree and then get on at a WS school in some college where you can force others to listen to the lies that you naively bought into.

3. Sell out to the system by marrying some rich dude......and recycle your stupid, worthless degree into something of greater value.

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Thesarus:

Barrel: Tubular Piece of Metal For a Machine.
Magazine: Mechanical Machine Loader.
Stock: Piece of Wood (Plastic) Shaped into a Design.
Pistol Grip: See Stock or Handle for a Machine/Tool.
Upper: Piece of a Machine that Holds the Reciprocating Mechanism.
Scope: Telescope.
Lower: Mechanical Part That Holds The Controls of a Machine.
Buffer Tube: Reciprocating Spring.
Bolt Carrier: Reciprocating Locking Device For a Machine.
Gas Tube: Gas Tube. Not like they'll have a clue anyways.
Complete Firearm: A Machine Designed To Punch Holes or a Life-Saving Device.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Thesarus:

Barrel: Tubular Piece of Metal For a Machine.
Magazine: Mechanical Machine Loader.
Stock: Piece of Wood (Plastic) Shaped into a Design.
Pistol Grip: See Stock or Handle for a Machine/Tool.
Upper: Piece of a Machine that Holds the Reciprocating Mechanism.
Scope: Telescope.
Lower: Mechanical Part That Holds The Controls of a Machine.
Buffer Tube: Reciprocating Spring.
Bolt Carrier: Reciprocating Locking Device For a Machine.
Gas Tube: Gas Tube. Not like they'll have a clue anyways.
Complete Firearm: A Machine Designed To Punch Holes or a Life-Saving Device.

I like this...I think I will start using this list.

medcop
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Just returned from the US post office.  Waited in line for awhile, so I was thinking to myself I wonder if these guys will ask about the contents also.  Sure enough handed the guy the package and gave him the properly filled in forms.  Then next thing he asks, "is there a gun in here?"  I answered in a flat tone, "that would be illegal."  He said, "yes it would."  He was quite friendly but  after I answered his questions, he seemed to understand that I was well informed and would pursue any action to ensure my rights were respected.  He went on to say that many people send guns illegally by mistake.  I asked how the Post Office knows about illegal shipments of guns.  He said that priority mail is almost always flown and that "on the rare occassion, even after Sept. 11, that the package is x-rayed, many times they find guns."  I smiled and asked, "Really, they don't x-ray the packages on planes."  He laughed and said, "no way, there are too many."  
He was quite friendly, but he did feel the need to ask about the contents based on the address label.  I've learned many things, not the least of which is take the easy path and hide things from others.  It's sad but true.  
Special thanks to everyone who uses the link in a previous reply to email Mail Box etc with complaints.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Warlord, the cashier saw that I was shipping to Kurts Kustom Firearms.  She asked and I just answered that the package contained gun parts.  

Yep, never put anything that implies the value of contents of your parcel, guns firearms, jewerly etc.  I once bought a piece of jewelery from Tiffany's(the high-end jewelery store) for my wife as a BD present, and the return address simply says "T&C",... New York. Also UPS employs some less than honest people that steal your parcel in-transit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I fly with some of my work equipment in a large plastic rifle case, it's the only thing the stuff will fit in.  The converstation at the ticket desk usally geos something like this.

"Sir is there a gun in that case"

"No"

"Sir are you sure that you don't have a gun in that case?"

"Yes"

"If you have a gun in that case you need to tell us"

"Yes I know, It contains sampling equipment I use for my job"

"So it's not a gun"

"No Maam"

Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem is that the Post Office, ATF, Big Business, etc. can do anything they want to us because the public does not care if our rights are violated. Hell, some gun owners don't care what happens to other gun owners. As far as making the papers, the story will probably read something like this;

Today, a man postal employees described as "visibly upset" carried a GUN into the Postal Branch located at 666 Politically Correct Circle. The "gunman" had the deadly weapon hidden inside a cardboard box. He allegedly waited until no one else was in line ahead of him and confronted the clerk telling her that he had a GUN in the box and told her what he wanted to do. The postal worker, Ms. Ima Idiot, is quoted as saying; "I didn't know what to do, I was in fear for my life. I mean, HE HAD A GUN and all". Police are holding the gunman without bond due to the involvement of a firearm. In response, Senator Hitlary Klinton held a press conference outside the Capitol in which she described a Bill she will introduce titled "Lets do it to the children". The ATF released a statement reporting that the weapon in question was a particularly devastating assault-style rifle that utilized cop-killing centerfire ammunition. People that know the gunman describe him as "quiet, reserved, kind-of-a-loner" who kept to himself. There are rumors that he MAY have a strained relationship with his teenage son although it is not known if that is was led to the incident today. This is B.J. Swallows reporting for Action News 5. Back to you Dan.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Just returned from the US post office. Waited in line for awhile, so I was thinking to myself I wonder if these guys will ask about the contents also. Sure enough handed the guy the package and gave him the properly filled in forms. Then next thing he asks, "is there a gun in here?" I answered in a flat tone, "that would be illegal." He said, "yes it would." He was quite friendly but after I answered his questions, he seemed to understand that I was well informed and would pursue any action to ensure my rights were respected. He went on to say that many people send guns illegally by mistake. I asked how the Post Office knows about illegal shipments of guns. He said that priority mail is almost always flown and that "on the rare occassion, even after Sept. 11, that the package is x-rayed, many times they find guns." I smiled and asked, "Really, they don't x-ray the packages on planes." He laughed and said, "no way, there are too many."
He was quite friendly, but he did feel the need to ask about the contents based on the address label. I've learned many things, not the least of which is take the easy path and hide things from others. It's sad but true.
Special thanks to everyone who uses the link in a previous reply to email Mail Box etc with complaints. Thanks.

Apparently you haven't learned much from any of the information given to you. You're still adressing your package in a manner so as to attract a thief and any other unwanted attention. Second, it is NOT illegal to ship firearms via the Post Office. Individuals may ship long guns to licensees and licensees only may ship and receive handguns. I ship long guns Parcel Post on a regular basis. They only need to be declared.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I would certainly try to find out if that is a Mail Box Etc. corporate policy.  If it is not, maybe you can file a conplaint against this person.

Contact Mail Box Etc

Its not. I just shipped a whole Colt upper to an AR15 member at my local MBE....of course he had an "NRA Life Member " plaque on the wall....hmmmm

Bulldog OUT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top