Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2002 1:01:09 PM EDT
David Hackworth's column:
www.hackworth.com/21jan02.html

From the article:
"Today's technology can produce a lightweight jacket that will stop most bullets. The concealed body armor currently worn by George W. Bush, the Secret Service and many law-enforcement folks does the trick."

Uh, Hack, "most bullets" means most handgun bullets.  A vest that will stop 5.45x39mm rifle rounds is going to be a little too cumbersome to wear chasing guerillas at 7,000 feet above sea level.

Or is there some secret body armor technology that I don't know about?
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
There is level 3 body armor that can be upgraded to level 4 with trauma plates and the whole package (front and rear trauma plates) weighs only 14lbs.

That's available now. DoD has already given grants to research flexible trauma plates that are superior to NIJ level 4 in protection and weigh even less.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
There are new vests coming out all the time. I was looking at one that was level IIA and sharps and shank resistant. It would roll up into a ball that would fit into both hands.
$ 1200
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Although common wisdom says something else, I wouldn't necessarily discount the possibility that the President of the United States wears something that technologically advanced.

The Army research facilities at Natick, MA is supposedly in the testing phase for a wearable piece of body armor that will stop a .50 cal round.  If anybody's going to be wearing something like that you can bet it'll be the President first.

But yes, for the most part soft body armor is designed to defeat low velocity threats (i.e. handgun and shotgun rounds).  An add-on hard plate (NIJ Level III or IV) is necessary to defeat high velocity rifle rounds.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There is level 3 body armor that can be upgraded to level 4 with trauma plates and the whole package (front and rear trauma plates) weighs only 14lbs.

That's available now. DoD has already given grants to research flexible trauma plates that are superior to NIJ level 4 in protection and weigh even less.

Gecko45, is that you??
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I wouldn't necessarily discount the possibility that the President of the United States wears something that technologically advanced.

If so ex clinton probably still wears one.

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]
After reading a lot of David Hackworth stuff, I have concluded that if you were take what he has to say to the bank many of the checks would bounce.  Not that he is intentionally dishonest, but he believes everything everybody tells him and never verifies anything.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Isn't he the guy who got caught wearing medals he didn't really earn?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 11:17:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Dragon Skin by Pinnacle Armor.  www.usaarmoring.com/

Your .308 is now obsolete.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#10]
what about cermamic matrix?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top