Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2002 12:53:50 PM EDT
From what I have read, the only difference is the length of the barrel (LTR 20" & Police is 26") and of course the weight. Is that really the only difference? Which would be better for long distance? I'm assuming the 26" would give ya a hair more FPS but that's about it. Any thoughts?

LTR
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/rem_700ltr.jpg

Police
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/rem_700pss_sa.bmp
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine has a fluted 20" barrel
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh yea that is one more thing that I read about the LTR is it is a flutted 20". Thanks 9divdoc
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive got an LTR in 223, AWSOME.

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#4]
You will not be able to tell any difference in the shooting until you reach 600 yards or therabouts. How far are you seriously going to shoot?
IMHO- the shorter barrel and lighter weight are much more important for police work. For military use the longer barrel will be a much better choice.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
diesel

I have both.  To be honest I like the LTR.  It is handier and generally good for all around shooting.  It is light, has quick target aquisition and accurate.

The LTR is generally harder to find.  If you can get the LTR, you won't regret it.

Max
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a difference in the stock dimensions re the length and the palmswell.
The PSS is larger in both areas.
The LTR has the swivel studs closer together, also.

Look over on snipercountry.com for information; it's in there.

I'm going for the PSS this next week.
I'll take the extra 6" of bbl. under the premise of better to have it and not need it...

If I really want a shorter bbl., I'll get it "circumcised"!
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'll take the extra 6" of bbl. under the premise of better to have it and not need it...

Barrel length seems to be one of those semi-religious manhood things to some folks.  You might read the following article about LACSO rifles before making a purchase.
www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:15:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the LTR in .308, light, accurate and awsome.

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:25:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe another 700 Police photo will help you decide.......
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I know my 26" police has shot 1/4"@100 and can easily be cut down to the LTR length (adding an inch and a half for porting is then possible also!), considering the market and rarity of the LTR, wouldn't it be prudent to go with the more easily available Police?  Additionally, I have a 20" 40XC in 308, which doesn't have a lot of additional muzzle flash from my 26".  Good luck with your choice!  Just make sure you scope it right though!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Barrel length seems to be one of those semi-religious manhood things to some folks.  You might read the following article about LACSO rifles before making a purchase.
www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/

Arock:
Thanks for that link. I bookmarked it.
I've got that issue and read the article.

Remington went from a 24" bbl. to 26" PSS, then offered the LTR in 20" (then added flutes to boot).
My choice in the PSS revolves around having the options provided by the longer bbl. and the full-size, uncut stock.
With the PSS, I can do any number of things to this rifle and still end up with it in its standard configuration; convert it to an LTR; or get something in between or completely different than what everyone else is building.
It could end up as a true heavyweight 'sniper' rifle with the addition of those parts and modifications necessary to make it so.
Damn heavy and expensive and way past my abilities as a shooter at this point.

The article talks about diminishing returns re bbl. length.
It would be less costly to have the bbl. cut down than to buy a longer bbl.; and the LTR stock is significantly different enough that it would not be a full size stock no matter what you did to it short of replacing it.  Another chunk of $$$.

I'm trying to get something of a compromise to suit me, not anyone else.
A bit lighter and not as expensive at the outset.
The idea is to have the gun and shoot it ASAP!
All the goodies and plans will develop from there.
I need a .308 Bolt-Action rifle.
The PSS will give me the most rifle for the money at this time; including bbl. length and the furniture it's attached to.

I waited a long time to buy my first rifle because I got advice to the point of confusion, thereby delaying my entry into the world of shooting.  My choice then was a Savage Tactical 110FP in .308.  I got chided and advised ad nauseum until I walked into a Big5 one day and got a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem.Mag.
That sent shock waves through the 'advisors' ranks.
It's my favorite rifle to this day!

So, now, manhood issues aside, I'm gonna get the PSS in .308.
Full circle.
Sure were a lot of 'in betweens'...

I appreciate what you said and the offer of the article to read; it is super informative.
My choice (payroll at work, if they have their shit together this week, will have my vacation cashout ready to finance this project) is strictly based on the availability of the options provided by this particular platform.

As one man said, "Contingencies?  You want contingencies?  I'll show you congtingencies!"

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#13]
BM007, you'll enjoy the PSS .308.  It's an exceptional entry-level precision rifle.  All the basics are there for you to bring out their potential.  Except for weight issues I'd like to do a short-barrel PSS.  It'd be a suppressed 22" .300WinMag tho'.

Remember to give us some pics.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks again, Arock.
You'd have quite a hammer in that combo!

I'll get to work on it.

I gotta get some sleep.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#15]

My first .308.  The LTR is a delight to shoot.

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry guys our buddy Busmaster sounds like he's made up his mind so I have to mess with him now.

PSS 300WM 100yds.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#17]
 PHIL---Well, I'm favorably impressed with THAT group!  That's great.
I should be so lucky.
Howzat .300 goin' prone, Phil?  Ain't fair, waaahhh, you're bigger.
Someday this year, there's gonna be a whole slew of LTR's & PSS's(thay that with a lithp) at 'the Pit'.
I'll know tomorrow if payroll came through.
I'll know Friday if the wife and kids are stickin' around...

(wanna know a secret?...sshhhh....I'm already thinking of getting a Marlin 1895 in .45-70---oh, NooOOOOO!!!) I need a lever-action and a BIG bore! Might as well get 'em both in the same gun; think of all the money I'll save.  Besides, I can't cashout any more vacation!

Where's dieselpwer?  And what's he thinkin' of all this jabber?
eagle1 and SteveG--great pictures!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
(wanna know a secret?...sshhhh....I'm already thinking of getting a Marlin 1895 in .45-70---oh, NooOOOOO!!!) I need a lever-action and a BIG bore! Might as well get 'em both in the same gun; think of all the money I'll save.  Besides, I can't cashout any more vacation!

Where's dieselpwer?  And what's he thinkin' of all this jabber?
eagle1 and SteveG--great pictures!

I'll admit that the 300WM in prone with the 220gr bullets will sting if I get into the rifle wrong.  Good thing I'll be working with the 190s this year.

Did you say big bore lever action?

444 Marlin Outfitter with a Propoint.

I've been thinking about adding an LTR, but I've also been seeing a PSS in 7MM magnum.  Hmmmmm
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Phil,
you're killin' me, man!

It might be a good neighborly thing to hook up and go shootin', pardner.
Lemme know.

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's my LTR 308 DM and a hundred and 300 yard targets.

TargetShooter2

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey guys, thanks for all the info and thoes are all great pics. This has helped me out allot. I'm looking to buy a new AR first but I figured I'd make up my mind on which one of these to get just incase I decided to put the AR on hold if I found a good deal on a LTR or Police. I think I'll have to go with the longer barrel. I'll have lots-o-pics posted as soon as I get either or. Thanks again!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top