Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2002 11:55:19 AM EDT
{{{{This is my own personal opinion and is based only on the holsters that I personally own and use}}}}

Last Sunday after I browsed through Wal-mart's copy of Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement, I decided to check out Comp-Tac's website to find whether they make a paddle holster for one of my Sigs. Sure enough they do. Since the picture of the paddle holster on their website was different from that of the gun rag, I emailed them to be sure that they know exactly what I wanted.

Yesterday, exactly 4 days after I placed my order, I received the holster. It was shipped Priority Mail and if I did not know that it came from Comp-tac, I would have sweared that the box was empty because it was so light.

Anyway, I took out the holster from the ziploc wrap and examined it in great detail. It was very well made and well designed. All the edges have been smoothened and it does not look nor feel bulky which makes it ideal for concealed carry.

Unlike the Fobus which is made up of 3 individual pieces riveted to each other, the Comp-Tac paddle is made only of one piece. When compared to the material that Blade-tech uses on its holsters (all I have is the IWB), the Comp-tac's has more "grains" and therefore does not slip easily when you hold on to it. It also makes it look more duller in appearance. All three holsters do have smooth insides. The screw on the Comp-tac is a tad bigger than that of Blade-tech's and is a flushed Allen head which you can adjust using the wrench that comes with your holster.

The fit is really great and one thing that will set this holster apart from the rest is the size of the front sight channel. It has a deeper and wider channel which will surely protect the front sight blade and at the same time prevent it from snagging. It also has a speed cut which is quite low (level with forward part of the ejection port) which surely saves an inch on the upward motion of the draw. I ordered mine with an optional FBI cant and together with the speed cut, it really makes a difference in weapon presentation.

But of all of these things that I have just mentioned, there is one quality of the holster that needs to be overly emphasized and that is......it looks so "tactically" beautiful. I can almost guarantee that everyone will like the way it looks.

In summation, if you need a fairly priced holster that will do the job, get a Fobus or maybe an Uncle Mike's Kydex holster. But if you need something better, get a Comp-Tac.

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Gregg at www.comp-tac.com does outstanding work. I was introduced to his stuff by a Master-class IDPA champion shooter who uses Comp-tac almost exclusively.

I've got his locking paddle and shirt tucker for my 1911 and the locking paddle for my HK USP45 Tactical. As riddler said, the deep sight channel rocks, especially since the holster for the HK USP45 full-size will fit the boat-rudder front sight of the Tactical. In addition, his mag pouches ride very close to the body and hold your mags securely through the same allen head screw that the holsters use for adjustability, and an allen key is included with every one.

I'm not connected with Comp-Tac in any way. I just really like their product.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one of his shirt-tuckers for my 1911 over a year ago. Used almost daily. Very nice holster. The only holster I've used since I got it, all the others stay in the box.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#3]
OOoooooppss! Forgot to mention that I am in no way affiliated with Comp-Tac nor do I have any vested interest in the company. I just like you guys to know how great their products are.

Take it easy!
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Riddler: Would you advise on the interior of the holster.  I have a HK USP9 and want something inexpensive but will not be abrasive on the gun finish.  I have considered the Fobus but there's something about it that makes me leary.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]
T-Blaster,

The interior of the holster is smoother compared to the Fobus. I too am very protective of my guns and I do not think that the holster will do anything to the finish. The only tight fit will be where the trigger guard is held by a retaining bulge and I do not think that it will do anything to the finish.

I have to tell you though that the Comp-Tac holster is more expensive than the Fobus. But you will get what you pay for. IMHO
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got comp-tac, blade-tech and fobus...and probably one from nearly every other holster maker at one time or another and to be honest I wasn't at all happy with comp-tac or blade-tech. All I use due to other reasons are paddle type holster. The blade-tech rubbed on my colts finish very abrasively, and just had a generic type fit even though it was made for the gun. And the comp-tac which was a "locking" paddle holster was time consuming to put on and left the gun sticking / hanging out away from the body. And neither one was what you'd call a fair price.  But, the fobus...thats another story, came across it by accident and am dang glad I did. Easy to put on, holds the gun firmly, has never scuffed a finish on my guns. And in my opinion you certainly get more for your money with the fobus. I can buy 3 to 5 for the price of one of the others . And I have, I now use a paddle fobus for all my handguns. For the price and quality you just can't beat it. And no I don't work for them and don't know anybody that does. But if they want to send me a sack of free holsters,I'll take it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll plug them also. Looked for months for a paddle holster for my HS2000. Found a thread here mentioning they make them. Love the holster and the service was excellent! Kudos to comp-tac. They have my business.

Aviator  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top