Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2002 9:07:53 PM EDT
My CCW is on the way, and I'm looking for a good carry piece.  The Kimber Ultra Carry has caught my eye, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these?

Info:
www.kimberamerica.com/Ultra_Ultra_Ten_II.htm
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I've fired the Ultra Ten, saving to get one. Still will carry my Glock 27 though
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Ultra Carry works great; very accurate for such a small firearm.

Have not tried the Ultra Ten II & did not think it was available until summer of 2002...heard it still had glitches because of the Series II firing pin safety system.

I'd shoot both before buying, but it may be very hard to find an UTII to try.

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an Ultra Carry II and it shoots very well. I'm surprised at how accurate it is having a 3" barrel. The series II safety is problematic though. It's a firing pin block that in my case kept my UCII from going into battery about 20% of the time. I did some reworking of the safety and mine works fine now. But I am pissed off about spending $700 on a pistol that doesn't work properly. One more complaint is the finish on the beaver tail. The black finish is very thin in some spots to the point that it is non-existant. I can't touch it up because it is stainless steel.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input.  We are going to have our first ever gun show in my town this weekend (new fairgrounds), so I'm going to be sure to look for one of these.  I'd like to at least try the touchy-feely test before I buy.  I just wish I could test one out at the range.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Admiral_Crunch,

I have a Kimber Compact and it shoots sub 3" groups at 25 yards.  I have to buddies who have Ultra Carries and they'll shoot about a 4" group at 25 yards and will make one ragged whole in the target inside of 15 yards!  Shooting my Kimber caused 6 of my friends to buy Kimbers.  Now I want a full-size model, perhaps a CDP Classic????????
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Question, is the Ultra carry single stacked?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#7]
The Ultra Carry is single stacked !!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I was shooting yesterday and the range I was at had a Springfield pistol that you might be interested in. Its simillar to the Ultra Carry.
Its called the Micro Compact Pistol and sells for approx $850.
I handled it and totally fell in love with it.
The trigger on the example I handled was incredible. If I wasn't dead set on buying a new Benelli M1 shotgun next month I'd buy this pistol in a second.

www.springfieldarmory.com/whatsnew.shtml
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the heads up!  I've kept my eye on Springfield also, but I hadn't seen this one.  It's over an inch shorter than the Ultra Carry.  That might be just the thing, as long as it maintains good accuracy.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks a lot like the CDP series from Kimber.  However, I don't think SA has the extra Series II firing pin safety system that seems to be plaguing the Kimber line....this might be a good idea instead of the Kimber.  A 20% failure to go into battery in the compact series is unacceptable if this is to be a CCW firearm.  No handgun is 100% reliable but 9 out of 10 times should go bang when you pull the trigger...a 20% failure rate equals a handgun that should be passed over in favor of a more reliable one.  I have not fired the SA Micro-Compact but have shot the Kimber CDP Series I (no firing pin Schwartz safety system) & it always fired upon command.  If the Series II has problems you should seriously reconsider this.  As I understand it, ONLY the Kimber line that is smaller than the full size has the problems.  I have not read any reports/comments that the full size Series II Kimber models are suspect.  The "problem" (which Kimber denies) seems to exist only in compact & sub-compact models & ONLY those that have the Series II safety system.  

If you act quickly, you MAY be able to find some Kimbers that do not have the Series II system still for sale at distributors.  The alternative is to consider something like the Springfield Armory Micro-Compact pistol.

Good hunting.....

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#11]
The Springfield is not 1" shorter than the Ultra Carry. Both pistols have 3" barrels. I have been carrying a Ultra Carry for about six months and have nothing but praise for it. I recently had an oppurtunity to shoot the Springfield Micro Compact. It appears to be a knock off of Kimbers CDP right down to the two-tone finish. The biggest difference between the two is that the Springfield uses thinner grip panels. If you want to spend the bucks for a CDP or a Micro Compact, help youself. As for me the Ultra Carry works just fine.

"Front sight...press"
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The Springfield is not 1" shorter than the Ultra Carry...It appears to be a knock off of Kimbers CDP right down to the two-tone finish.

Weird.  If that's true, then one of the two has bad info on their website.
Springfield says the Micro has a 3" barrel and is 5.7" overall.
Kimber says the Ultra Carry has a 3" barrel and is 6.8" overall.

I haven't seen the Springfield in person, so I have no idea.

I wonder if one of them is measuring diagonally from the bottom of the mag to the muzzle and the other is measuring from the grip safety to the muzzle?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top