Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2002 8:29:26 PM EDT
I'm not a LEO and since I'm in IL....no CCW. So I don't have a need for holsters.
The problem is I usually bring a handgun out in the evenings and keep it near until I go to bed for the night. Common sense tells you it's not a good idea to have a gun near for protection, and then if you have to get up to use the bathroom, leave the gun on the couch. So I end up putting it in my pocket when I move around the house. Well after doing that several thousand times the finish starts to take a beating.
So I want a holster to protect the finish of my gun. I don't want a holster that I need to take off my belt to remove. And I don't really like the inside the pants style.
Any recommendations would be appreciated. The guns I'd most likely need holsters for are my Sig 220, Colt King Cobra, and Walther P99.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 4:45:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Consider a paddle holster.  Kind of a glirified clip on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with a Fobus paddle holster - Good retention, light weight, grips your pants. They're SWeeetttt...
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:35:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:46:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a cheap Uncle Mike size 5 nylon for my p220 for ten years. Love it. Covers the whole gun, except grip of course. Carry it with me all over the house. Hate FOBUS, hate paddle, hate inside pants, and hate Glocks(just a joke, simmer down, Glockheads). By the way, has anyone managed to "Stump the Troy" yet?
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:12:52 AM EDT
[#6]
A paddle holster is probably overkill for the suggested use.  Get a cheap nylon holster from Bagmaster, Uncle Mikes, or a knock-off of them.  All of the Uncle Mikes I have require that you take off the belt, but they probably make some with clips too.  Most of Bagmaster's have clips, although not always the easiest to get on/off.  Look around at the next gun show--you should be able to find something suitable for about $10 or less.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd go with the Uncle Mikes suggestion from Troy, and add one other suggestion.

I'd keep that "home" gun the same gun every night. Meaning, I'd keep the one I'm best shooting with as THE gun. I personally wouldn't mix them up, particularly revolvers and pistols. The 3 guns you mentioned have very different characteristics. Even the 220 and the P99 are quite different in their operation.

That being said, I would pick the P99 as that gun. It's the lightest of the batch, and a very reliable shooter. I definately wouldn't use the King Cobra. It's big, heavy and holds the least amount of ammo. Nice wheel gun though. The 220 is a classic, and .45 always gets the message across. That might be a good choice as well. Just a suggestion.

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got some Uncle Mikes plastic paddle holsters.  They are similar to the Fobus hoslters but cost less if you look around and they are easier to remove the gun from whether the holster is on your belt or not.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Go with a Fobus paddle holster - Good retention, light weight, grips your pants. They're SWeeetttt...

What he said!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top