Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/23/2002 7:12:09 PM EDT
Even though I hate Ruger Mini-14's (they're not accurate, Bill Ruger sided with the anti's numerous times, they're investment cast loose pieces of crap, they don't have resale value etc.) I end up owning one every now and then.

They're just so much fun to shoot!

So while I put on my serious face as I tell my buddies to avoid them - I still have one hidden deep in my closet.

So, some guns are like masturbation - they're fun but you don't want your friends to know about them.

Other than the "fun factor" of an SKS and a 1,200 round tin of corrosive ammonia smelling Chicom ammo I can't think of anything else.

How about you?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Hated? not really,  regretted?  yes, a Marlin 25M  (bolt action, .22wmr) Overpriced ammo and accuracy not anything to brag about.  a .22lr, such as a 10/22 will outperform it anyday.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#2]
My first gun was a model 88 mossberg 12 gauge pump that I just couldn't get rid of.  Chopped the mother down to make a hd gun.

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I've bought guns I have come to hate.

I've never bought a gun that I hated when I bought it.  Seems to me neither have you because you don't really *hate* the Mini 14 . . .
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Back in the early 90's I bought one of those Street sweeper 12gauges, Hated it from the moment I got it home from the shop, That big clunky cylinder Kacunked so bad every time it cycled that it almost threw off your aim, JUNK.

Bought it low, sold it high, bought an AR with the proceeds.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]
ruger m77 mk ll 25-06. ammo expensive and not so special, and i found the gun didnt operate to smooth, and acuraccy wasnt anything to brag about. and bill ruger is a prick
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought this Beretta 22 pistol with a tip up barrel. Turned out to be a piece of SH*T.

Guess it would make an OK Throw GUN?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Ruger P944, .40 w/ de-cocker. It always seemed a stroke of luck to shoot anything that resembled a group, no matter the shooter. Finally dumped it and found a nice Browning HP in .40 S&W.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, a few months ago i bought my first rifle. (before, they had been gifts) I fell in love with a century arms R1A1. Worst mistake of my life. receiver is out of spec. and jams alot. i just hope i can sell it after i get it fixed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#9]
My first rifle. Remington 7400. I thought it'd be cool that I'd get a semi-auto .30-06 synthetic carbine for $360 but the thing was a total piece of crap! It jammed all the time, easily got really messy after a shoot, and field stripping it was ridiculously annoying and painful on the fingers!! I hated that gun, and the very thought of it makes me hate it even more. What junk!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#11]
AMT DAO .45. Total POS. Jammed every third round on two different mags. The trigger had been slicked up, but still felt like 15 pounds. After I got it home, I realized how thick and heavy it was. Got a AMT SA .380 that I really like, within its limitations.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#12]
A Kel-Tec P-32.  It's the perfect size and weight, but the quality is horrible.  I loved it at first, but after a few months of frustration and wasted money, I'm starting to hate it.  After the first couple hundred rounds, I haven't been able to make it through an entire mag without a jam.  I will never buy another gun (or anything else if I can help it) with only a single source for parts.  I've got over $800 in it so far, but it still needs a new barrel, frame, and several small parts.  Before you accuse me of being on drugs for having the world's most expensive Kel-Tec, here's the list of what I've spent:

$256 - Pistol, not including sales tax

$80 - 10 trips to the range at $8 each (that doesn't include gas for the 102 mile trip, each way...yes, that's over 2,000 miles of driving)

$140 - about what I've spent on ammo trying to find something that would work

$65 - wasted for a CCW class that I got kicked out of after my slide went downrange

$35 - shipping to send it back for Kel-Tec to only replace one small part and not replace any of the larger damaged parts

$15 - parts

$54 - ($18 * 3) magazines, because that's something good to always check in any semi-auto

$30 - approximate amount I spent in long-distance before I found-out they had a toll-free #

$150 - reloading equipment and components in a vain attempt to find something that would work

Anyway, I sent it back to Kel-Tec, and they only replaced one small part (slide stop spring).  A well-known smith, who works on Kel-Tecs, told me not to fire it without replacing the frame and barrel, so I've got a paperweight unless I take a $40 gamble on sending it back again.  A few pics of it are at users.upstate.net/zoom/P-32/.z
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Browning Buckmark Bullseye......I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT!!!
See hangun forum under Browning "about to buy a Buckmark" thread for explanation.
Grrrr!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Before there was Kel Tek there was GRENDEL...you guys remember...the .380 that loaded thru the top like a broomhandle mauser.

A guy was trying to sell me one in a gunshop one time and when he cycled the slide, The Ejector just fell off the gun, right there on the counter...Klink....whoops

Well it kind of goes without saying that that sale never happend.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I Think Kel Tek and Grendel both buy there small parts and spring from a nice little old lady down the street that has a venitain bling shop.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
$65 - wasted for a CCW class that I got kicked out of after my slide went downrange

$30 - approximate amount I spent in long-distance before I found-out they had a toll-free #
.z

Sorry to laugh, but that's pretty damn funny!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Posted elsewhere, but I gotta vent again...
Kahr MK9 Elite 98.  $800 LEMON.  Rude customer service and a smart ass Kahr Gun smith that sent me a replacement in far worse shape than the first.  They are still number one in their own blown out of proportion self image.  The one finger salute to you Kahr.  Damn Moonies...
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#18]
ECS:

I hear you.  The only gun I've ever sold was a Beretta Bobcat 22.  I couldn't hit crap with it.  I had about a 6" group at 7 yards.  Part of that was the sights.  Not that great, and a sight radius of about 3 inches.  Federal ammo jammed every magazine, but it liked Remington and CCI.

Despite the inaccuracy, it was actually fun to shoot.  But I'd never want my life to depend on it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I decided to get into a 1911 .45 about a year ago.  Really didn't want to spend 1K on one so I bought a Charles Daly.  Jammomatic, FTF, FTE, FT Everything.  Sent it back to CD & in the mean time bought a Kimber.

Kimber works great & I love it.

Anyway, 2 months go by & the CD returns.  I leave it at the gun shop hoping to sell it.  Six months go by & its still there so I take it back, clean it up, oil it, etc. & decide to try it out.

The Charles Daly runs as good as & groups as well as my Kimber now!  A very pleasant surprise to say the least.  The fit & finish are not as nice as the Kimber but its a tack driver now.  Don't know what they did to it but it works & I still have it.

So, I started hating it, but now that I've shot it (after some factory work) I really like it.

Sorry to hear about that Kel-Tec...they never did anything for me so never got one.  I'd cut my losses & get something else.  $800.00 for a Kel-Tec?  May as well have gotten a Kimber.  Spend any more on it & you're getting close to Wilson Combat pricing!!  Its not even funny the more I think about it...get rid of it & don't piss away any more $$$$ on it.  Get something reliable...like a compact Kimber, Glock, or SIG.
Can't go wrong with a Glock or SIG as a compact CCW.  The slide went down range?!!!  Man, you should not even be trying to shoot through that course with anything less than a 9mm.  Folks around here would not let you shoot that thing to qualify with for CCW.  Sorry...I feel for ya.

I'll be staying away from Kahr also...nothing pisses me off more than crappy customer service or a customer rep that thinks he/she walks on water.  Screw them...there are other companies that make better products.

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#20]
S&W 4006 (big SS chunk of sheet)

S&W Sigma .380 (hated it when I bought it but the wife liked it--it shoots o.k. enough but it's a disposable .380 after all)

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I bought a Charles Daly.

I've been tempted several times to buy a Charles Daly (or one of the other Filipino) 1911.  I live on a very limited budget, so the decision to buy a new gun is a big one.  Of course, that makes what I've spent on my Kel-Tec even more insane.  In Kel-Tec's defense, their gunsmith is even more polite and pleasant to talk to than Cynthia Ravenscraft at Tapco, and that's saying something.

get rid of it & don't piss away any more $$$$ on it.

Hindsight is 20/20.  The entire time, I've felt that if I spend a little more time and money on it, I could get it working.  My current project is fabricating a recoil spring catch, because the recoil spring has gotten caught between the recoil guide and catch a couple of times.  Also, Kel-Tec didn't replace it the last time I sent it back.

The slide went down range?!!!

The assembly pins on the Kel-Tec's have a habit of coming out.  According to Kel-Tec, it's because a groove in the assembly pin is often not machined deep enough.  I don't care how deep you cut the groove, it's not going to help when the leg of the spring doesn't push up against it.  On the web page mentioned above, I have a picture of my slide stop spring that split.  This spring not only holds the assembly pin in place, it is also used to hold the slide stop down.  When it gets weak (like from heat or splits like mine), the slide stop prematurely engages.  That's not something you want to happen in a self-defense situation.  Of course, throwing the slide off the front is worse.  When that happens, you also lose the two recoil springs, recoil spring guide, recoil spring catch, assembly pin, and barrel.  After the instructor spent several minutes collecting my parts, he told me to leave.

Man, you should not even be trying to shoot through that course with anything less than a 9mm.

I'll respectfully disagree with you on this one.  I'll live with a pistol that's a little underpowered to have something so convenient to carry.

customer rep that thinks he/she walks on water

Rude customer service has never bothered me.  It's when they don't fix the problem that bothers me.  Carolyn at Kel-Tec is very polite, but I think she is overwhelmed with the amount of repair work.  Unless they cleaned my pistol very well (I doubt it), they didn't even test fire it.  Maybe, they were just running behind that day?z
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok thats it !!!!!!!!

If you guys don't stop talk'en crap about mini 14s I going to kick everybody's a$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#23]
An early Glock 22 purchased NIB, it's extractor flew out at round 52 and it only got worse from there.  And a frankenstein PWA 11.5/5.5" AR15 that wouldnt get through 5 rounds without a major malfunction.  Btw I've still got that glock serial number if anyone out there thinks they may own that satan posessed piece of crap!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#24]
heres a tip -- any gun made in 22mag is for Hunting purposes, its not made for plinking, burning ammo or serious target work.

ive knocked out a few squirrels with a marlin lever action 22mag, the 22lr doesnt fill the bill for hunting for my purposes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:29:54 PM EDT
[#25]

LMAO!  Sorry zoom but that's hella funny.  I have a P32 too and when I brought it home from the fun show and took it to the range it wouldn't fire.  Pull trigger, hammer cycles, gun doesn't go off.  Sent it to Kel-Tec, they had it back in my hands inside of a week!  Now it works.  I guess I should feel pretty lucky.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:05:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Ever buy a gun you hated?

Yes.........................an AK47.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:34:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Three.
An early import Glock I purchased when I was still an FFL-holder.  Atrocious accuracy, rear sight fell off, never fit my hand.
A Chinese copy of the Tokagypt.  I've posted about it before, suffice to say it was the worst piece of dung it was ever my misfortune to own.  A Lorcin would be orders of magnitude better.
A Maadi AK-47.  Canted front sight.  Trigger slap.  Spray painted finish on the metal that came off from simple handling.  Camel urine-based varnish slathered over the wood.
I traded the Glock even-up for a new Smith & Wesson Model 29 (Glocks were the newest toy around then), sold the Sinotokagypt for what I had in it, refinished/refurbished the Maadi and sold it at a profit.  I have no pleasant memories of any of them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:40:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought a Mossberg 12 guage one time.  I swore I would never buy any auto shotgun that is less quality than at least Remington, but, the price was right.  

I hated the freakin' gun!  I sold it for $125 and didn't feel bad about myself afterwards!
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 6:08:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I Think Kel Tek and Grendel both buy there small parts and spring from a nice little old lady down the street that has a venitain bling shop.

F&L37,
Some how Grendel made some great bolt-guns in various barrel lengths and calibers.  (Stock folded down and under to cover the trigger mechanism.)

Just in case anyone gets a shot at a Grendel rifle, please don't confuse with the questionable quality of the pistols.  Their rifles are 'excellent'.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#30]
An Accutek 380 that I'm embarrassed to mention.  I bought it when I was going to college and couldn't afford anything else.  At 7 yards it wouldn't hold six shots on a standard pie plate.  Thank God I traded the POS and $200 for my first Glock 23.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I can't stand my Kel-Tec P11.  It's a little piece of crap.  It's not worth the $200 I paid for it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

F&L37,
Some how Grendel made some great bolt-guns in various barrel lengths and calibers.  (Stock folded down and under to cover the trigger mechanism.)

Just in case anyone gets a shot at a Grendel rifle, please don't confuse with the questionable quality of the pistols.  Their rifles are 'excellent'.

Of course they are...  The actions are Sako!  

I have also heard that the rifles were not that accurate, because of that cheap underfolder stock...
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I once bought 2 extra Colt Single Action Army clones that I didn't initially really want to buy. The salesman just talked me into it and gave me a good deal.

One of the Clones ended up being EXTREMELY accurate. And it handled nicely to boot. It has a 4 3/4" barrel and a Birds Head Grip.

The other clone was a "Thunderer" model with a 3 inch barrel and a birds head grip. The trigger on this clone wasn't very good. So I took it apart, took some stones and very carefully smoothed up the action.

So I can really say that I bought a gun that I hated. I did have some disappointments, but I found that after I did a little gun smithing on my own..those disappointments went away.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#34]
this is funny. I got a roy rogers cap gun for xmas in 1958(?). I put the caproll in, pull the hammer back and the whole roll goes off! firework galore...oh, I had an erma 22, nuff said.. or?
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#35]
this is funny. I got a roy rogers cap gun for xmas in 1958(?). I put the caproll in, pull the hammer back, pull the trigger and the whole roll goes off! fireworks galore...oh, I had an erma 22, nuff said.. or?
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Posted elsewhere, but I gotta vent again...
Kahr MK9 Elite 98.  $800 LEMON.  Rude customer service and a smart ass Kahr Gun smith that sent me a replacement in far worse shape than the first.  They are still number one in their own blown out of proportion self image.  The one finger salute to you Kahr.  Damn Moonies...

Sorry to hear you hated your Kahr.  I have a K9 Elite 98 and love it.  Nice gun, flawless functioning.  Loaned it to a gal in a self-defense class, and she decided to get one too.

Then again, I also have a PO Carbon-15, and it works, so maybe there's some kind of reverse bad luck field hanging over me... However,
Anyway, sold that to some poor SOB, and it's his problem now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Brother once bought a .22 revolver import. Don't remember make of gun.  Malfunctioned 2 rounds out of 6 most of the time. Junk!
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Someone once said of me that I have the "touch of shit".
Lorcin L380 (1st gun, nuff said)
Tec9( looked really cool to a 20year old. Jammed all the time, rear sight fell off)
Beretta 21 (the DA trigger will pull if you have the safety on. Beretta says that the safety is for SA carry. WTF?!)
Beretta 21 (after I sold the first one I missed it. Then I got the jam-o-matic)
Auto Ordnance 1927( very cool, as long as you like having a single shot, magazine fed jam-o-matic.)
B-West AK( My friends joke that I am the only guy who could get an AK that is reliability challenged)
Kel-Tec 9mm. (F#*K THAT GOD AWEFUL POS!!!)
Desert Eagle .357mag ( kept spitting hot brass particles in my face)
Powder Spring MAC10.45, closed bolt. ( there's a reason it was $450)
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#40]
gunmonkey, ok you win.z
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Colt preban with M4 config. Shoot great looked amazing and got a great price. However. Then I had to have another AR15, and now had to buy an M16. For the m16 now I have to get a suppressor..

Damn AR.. Damn it.. see what you started
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Two problematic ones...

Did some horse-trading in late 80s and ended up w/an early-80s production S&W Model 645 (.45ACP autoloader).  While not NIB, it was clear that it had only had light use.  Junque - favored only certain brands of ammo. Factory must've used Comet as a lubricant as the trigger felt so gritty. Mushy trigger break that never felt like it was in the same position twice. Safety/ decocker  lever very stiff, hard to move - even when I'd 'exercised' it several nights in a row while watching TV. Not nearly as accurate as a std Colt 1911 .45 or my Glock 17 (9mm) - this reduced accuracy could be partially connected with the sloppy-arsed trigger action.

Also had a Beretta 92 Compact (shorter bbl, smaller 13rd mag well). Great feel/ergonomics, but accuracy-wise really liked only Winchester Silvertips. Again, G17 was more accurate. This may've been a gun-specific issue as I shot another Beretta 92 Compact (with single-col 9? 10? rnd mag as opposed to dbl-stack 13-rd mag)
and it shot nicely w/std UMC 9mm ball.

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Frankengun PWA 20". Bad rear sight, bent front post, and it went full-auto on me after about 50 rds. Boy did I get some nasty looks at the range. Replaced the disconnector and sold it for $100 more than I paid for it.

S&W 4003. Terrible gun. Alloy framed piece of crap. Bad trigger, bad sights, replaced the grips with Hogues and then tried Pachs and it still felt like a brick in my hand. Traded it in on a Glock 22. Love the 4506 and 2206 but every other Smith auto I hate.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Phoenix Arms .22LR

Not that it shoots bad, but it has to be one of the most "politically correct" guns on earth. It has more safety features than a volvo.

Just hope that the SHTF and you have to use that thing.....well, then again, you are screwed if all you have a .22lr to defend yourself anyway.

Good thing it was cheap, only about $125....comparatively speaking to a good gun.

But my girlfriend likes to shoot it, so I keep it around.

Can always teach the boy to shoot with it in a couple of years too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Century-receivered Garand. 'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Glock 22. Sold it at a profit and now have a kimber, which I adore.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes, Remington 7400 in .30-06.  Good accuracy, could group 1.25"-1.5".  Poor semi-auto functioning.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#48]
i hated my sigpro .40
everywhere i brought it, true sig-o-philes ragged it non stop.  the finish was funny, the feel was clunky, and it was plastic.  well, i liked it okay, but no one really wants a gun that everyone trashes.  i liked its DA better than my h&k and its SA was a bit sloppy but good for a defense gun.  no hi-caps is what killed it.  i still think they would be awesome if that laser was more available and they made hicaps for it.
i regret selling it though....
well i did use the money to get my tactical, so....
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#49]
enfield mk4 no 1 .303  BIGGEST PICE OF S!!!!  I bought it at a Garage sale for 75, but I could not get that damn thing to shoot straight. At 25 feet my patters were 7 - 10 inches!!!  Ammo was expensive for the preformance, and well....it didnt preform worth a damn.  I did however sell it for 200 bucks!
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Before there was Kel Tek there was GRENDEL...you guys remember...the .380 that loaded thru the top like a broomhandle mauser.

A guy was trying to sell me one in a gunshop one time and when he cycled the slide, The Ejector just fell off the gun, right there on the counter...Klink....whoops

Well it kind of goes without saying that that sale never happend.

What the hell's wrong with that?

It is just easy to field strip that is all
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top