Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2002 8:29:32 AM EDT
I'm trying to imporove my capabilities with iron sights, but found the last time I went to the range that the targets I usually use are totally unsuitable.

The traditional target, oriented towards a scoped rifle with crosshairs and a little orange dot in the middle, will not work as you can not see any of that with the naked eye at 100 yards.  I think the best target would be a big black circle, but how big should it be to be visible?  8"?  5"?  Or is there another type of target that would be better?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the ones I'm using have a 2" dia black center? I mostly use a scope but sometimes I use the iron sights.

They also make peel off/stick on circles you could add to your existing targets.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I use 100 yard smallbore rifle targets. 50 yard rapid fire pistol targets are also useful.
www.speedwelltargets.com
Under paper targets, official NRA.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#3]
The standard highpower service rifle comp 100 yd target is the SR1. You can get them from most highpower supply sources such as www.championshooters.com/shop-cgi/webc.cgi/index-ssl.html. SR1-c is the repair center.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally I like to use the 25M Military Zeroing targets, the 50 Yard Santose zeroing targets, and the general practice targets that can be found in the Documents section at:
communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#5]
i use standard 9" paper plates, about $1.50 for a package of 100, readily available at any convenience store.

at 100 yds the front sight post pretty much covers the whole plate. the center of the plate (excluding rim) is about 5-6 inches. i used to use a magic marker to put a black circle about 2" in the center, lately ive been using the orange stickons. i can just barely see the circle/stickons at 100 yds, 3" might work better.

ok, i'm cheap, i'd rather spend my money on guns and ammo than targets.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I like to use pop cans @ 100, they react when hit and depending how they roll, they offer a diffrent sized target to shoot at, and they're cheap!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]
You want something that's about the same width as your front sight, and contrasts well with the background.  

--MiKE
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The official 100 yd hipower targets that someone else mentioned have approximately 6" black circles. They are what I use at 100 yds.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top