Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2002 4:35:29 PM EDT
I just got some of my Granddads guns and wanted to share w/ everyone about my "favorite."  

My Granddad was Captain of PT 342 in the Phillippines, and a three time purple heart recipeint.  I respect him as much as any man in the world.  He just had a stroke and my family ask that I take his collection and distribute them between cousins.  

The one gun that I WILL be keeping, however, is a WWII Japanese Ariska 6.5 mm.  I say this is my "favorite," as in his memoriars, he refers to this gun specifically.  On patrol one afternoon they had to go onshore to scout for a landing in the coming days.  As they were returning to the boat, a sniper opened fire on the patrol wounding two, including Granddad, thankfully not too seriously.  As he was the Captain, and ultimately responsible for the patrol, he went after the sniper.  Long story short, today, I have a new "favorite" gun.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics man!  Where are the pics!  You can't do this to us!  We have a naked rifle fetish!
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey! My dad was in RON12 in the same area of operation and was a Chief Petty Officer. He passed away three years ago at 80 years young. Find out all you can about him and his shipmates if you can. PT'ers are quickly passing from this world and this history is so precious to many. Find out about and join PT Boats, Inc. www.ptboats.org and help keep PT history alive.

That is great history on your new favorite gun too! Sorry to hear about your grandfather's ill health.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
M-Forgery

Ron 24!!!!  He started as Executive Officer on 335 before the promo and reassignment.  

Thanks for the kind words, your father, RIP, has all my respect as well.  They were a corageous group.  I have many books etc on PTs, and his own book on the experience as well.  It was always the highlight of the holidays to sit around and hear him talk about that time in his life.  I will keep the knowledge and interest alive as long as I am here to tell "his" stories.  

I will post some pics as soon as I can.  Anyone know anything about these rifles?      

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top