Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2002 1:39:45 AM EDT
Ok i have the cash for a new M1A and sight i want a standard "loaded" model and would like to mount an optic like an Elcan or Trijicon Acog sight to it.
Where can i get a good Picatinny style mount for it?
Does anyone have any experiance with a mount like this?
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:20:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Believe you might benefit from this thread: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=87930

Appears their discussing what your interested in.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 5:58:11 AM EDT
[#2]
You want a Brookfield, ARMS #18 or Smith Enterprises mount (all have Picatinny or Weaver rails). They're steel and are the best. Brookfields are the best but will be hardest to find ~$250. Arms 18 don't have a full length rail ~$225. Smiths are a copy of the Brookfield ~$200.

Forget the Springfield Armory and other aluminum mounts as they don't hold zero.

edit for spelling.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 7:20:11 AM EDT
[#3]
The above are good choices.
Until Bookfield starts making more they will be scarce.I saw one sell for $475 2 weeks ago.
The Armscorp is another good choice.
cpermd
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I've used a number of different scope mounts throughout my experience with the M14 clones.  I've used to ARMS 18 and all three generations of the Springfield mounts.  The inability of the Springfield mounts to hold zero is due more to the "quck removeable" design than it is to the aluminum that they use to make the mount.  The ARMS is nice but too short for the scope that I use.  Springfield Gen. 3 scope mount I use now does hold zero, but it requires locktite on the threads of the mounting screws, and the screws have to be really tightened up.  Obviously, that's a semi-permanent mount.

Sadly I haven't been able to find a reasonably-priced Brookfield in the 3 years I've been searching for one.  I've only seen them for the $450 ++++ range, going as high as $675 for a new one.

The M14 is just a really shitty optics platform.  Any scope mount that works will be a permanent mount, period.  If you don't mind not being able to use your irons that won't really bother you, but forget the idea of a quick-detach type rig that the AR-15 loves.  

Another factor that you'll quickly notice is the comb of the stock.  The stock is just not "scope friendly" as one might say.  The stock's comb drops way too much.  I actually have to use a slim strap-on cheekpiece just to get a proper cheek weld for the iron sights.  For the scope I use a big ugly mound of duct tape and styrofoam.  

To be completely honest with you, I'd keep the M1A as a "pure" rifle and just use irons.  Buy an AR-10 or FAL if you want a decent scoped autoloader.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd pick the Enterprise over any of them.

As stated by Dn they are a copy of a Brookfield.
They are machined out of a block of 4140 and heat treated to 60Rc. Cost 190.00 and readily availiable. Able to use iron sights as well.

I had heard that Brookfield mounts are cast.

Heres a link to Enterprise

www.smithenterprise.com/scope_mount_info.htm

Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Well thanks guys i appreciate it.But the gov'ment here deems it nessecary that i dont own a AR or a Fal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top