Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2002 11:58:53 AM EDT
This is really starting to piss me off. I sold a 10/22 to an out of state person... How do I ship it?

USPS- No way, You can't ship that here. It could be loaded! You have to ship it from Dealer to dealer.

UPS- Uhh sorry sir, We don't do individual shippments to FFL's. Only if its going to the manufactor. WTF?

Fedex- Sure, We can overnight it... Bend over and get ready for the price.

WTF am I supposed to do... I KNOW you can ship a firearm to an out of state FFL. What am I doing wrong? I feel bad for this guy, He has been waiting a couple weeks for his gun. But no one will do it... PLEASE help! Thanks

-Jared

P.S.

Rick, if u read this. Please don't think I'm not trying. I am trying my hardest. Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]

This is really starting to piss me off. I sold a 10/22 to an out of state person... How do I ship it?

USPS- No way, You can't ship that here. It could be loaded! You have to ship it from Dealer to dealer.

UPS- Uhh sorry sir, We don't do individual shippments to FFL's. Only if its going to the manufactor. WTF?

Fedex- Sure, We can overnight it... Bend over and get ready for the price.

WTF am I supposed to do... I KNOW you can ship a firearm to an out of state FFL. What am I doing wrong? I feel bad for this guy, He has been waiting a couple weeks for his gun. But no one will do it... PLEASE help! Thanks

Who gave you all of this FALSE information?!!!! It is perfectly legal and acceptable to send a long gun via USPS interstate to a licensee; they are my shipper of choice due to a jackass counter manager at the local UPS depot. This is all covered in the Domestic Mail Manual on their website www.usps.com. I ship long guns through the post office all of the time (or so it seems lately).

UPS is full of CRAP. That's against even their own policy if thay are indeed telling you this.

Federal Express has other options besides overnight that have comparable rates to UPS and the USPS.

It sounds as though you're not complaining loudly enough to the right people.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Geez, a couple of weeks you could have driven it there yourself

You can UPS or USPS to an out of state FFL
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:09:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Geez, a couple of weeks you could have driven it there yourself

You can UPS or USPS to an out of state FFL

I am damn tempted to do drive it myself... This information is all from the horses mouth... I think I will just break it down some, and mail it to the FFL, because I know its legal even though the anti gun dorks are scared it might "go off"

-Jared
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]

This information is all from the horses mouth

The horse's mouth is full of crap. It's all perfectly legal to ship and it's not up to the assholes making a fuss whether or not you're able to ship a firearm. I'd raise hell and call their asses on the carpet for that. When I used to ship UPS, there was a time or two that a clerk tried to intimidate me into not shipping a firearm. I'd invite them to get their manager out there front and center and make it known in no uncertain terms that I wasn't going to stop there either. Needless to say, they backed down. It's not a question of anti-gun, pro-gun, legal, illegal, etc. It's called do your job and it's obvious UPS and the USPS in your area aren't and won't without raising some hell.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 5:01:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is the reference for shipping a long gun via USPS new.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf section 43 which is on page 77.

Hope this helps.

Jamie
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#6]
ALL dealers in my area have to do FFL to FFL.  You are going to have to fork up some money to an ffl to send it...  sucks but some of have had to do it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#7]

ALL dealers in my area have to do FFL to FFL. You are going to have to fork up some money to an ffl to send it... sucks but some of have had to do it.

An individual is not required, nor can he be compelled to ship via an FFL. If UPS, Federal Express, or Postal officials are claiming so, they're just WRONG. Further, if local Postal officials are imposing their own rules rather than Domestic Mail Manual rules, they are in violation of Postal Code.

If you're saying that an individual FFL holder is refusing to receive a firearm from anyone other than another licensee, then that's another matter entirely. If, however, the FFL holder has agreed to receive the firearm, then there is not a damned thing that the USPS, UPS, or Federal Express can do to stop it as long as the firearm is shipped unloaded, declared, and insured. There's no reason to put up with that half-witted bullshit and some individual cannot impose his/her own views or interpretations of acceptable shipping methods.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Im confused also. i was told i cannot ship any gun but through an ffl??? i was told this by a ffl. does anyone know the laws in indiana reguarding shipping long and pistols??
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#9]
He's full of shit. It's legal in all fifty states to ship firearms to other licensees for repair, etc. However, some states require that they be received back by an FFL. I'm pretty sure Indiana isn't one of them. This can be found on various sites including BATF's.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]
About a month ago I shipped an FAL to Arizona via ups ground.  After filling out the form and address label I plunked it on the counter and the girl asked what it was because I didn't list the contents but insured it for 1k.  I looked her straight in the eye and told her it was a long-gun and asked her to please not put firearm or gun on the package anywhere.  She told me she never does and gave me the "I have heard the same thing about UPS as you have look."  It arrived in less than a week.
No other questions asked and no problems.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#11]

. I looked her straight in the eye and told her it was a long-gun and asked her to please not put firearm or gun on the package anywhere.

It's against Federal law that a firearm package not be marked or cause to be marked as such. The only sensible part of the Brady law.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I always use FEDEX over-night.

Don't want to have my stuff floating around the country for 3-4 days.

Just sent an M16 to RMA for a BearCoat job in August. Just insured it for the replacement value.

RMA didn't even require a Form 5. Just wanted a copy of my Form 4 so the could verify that I owned the gun.

Have sent many (probably in the order of 10) guns all over the country via FEDEX.

Never a problem. I tell them exactly what it is and they ask me if it's loaded and I say no. They weigh it, measure it, and off it goes.

Never lie and tell them its something else.

They just require that a pistol be shipped over-night, which is the rule no matter what shipper. Like I said above I always ship over-night.

I asked UPS once and they started giving me a bunch of crap. That's how I got started with FEDEX.

Too many rules with the USPO.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#13]
drfcolt,

For rifles and shotguns at least, the shipping rules for the Postal Service are a lot less restrictive that either the UPS or FedEx tariffs.  As far as the Postal Service is concerned, if it's legal under ATF regulations, they will allow you to mail a rifle or shotgun.  Handguns however, are another matter.  They will only allow mailing among dealers and manufacturers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#14]
The Postal Service also regulates the shipping of Class III items just like handguns; i.e. dealer to dealer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:00:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm just kinda curious as to why you told them what was in the box in the first place.  I have shipped weapons before and I never disclose what is sealed up in the box.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Our little shitass UPS counter won't accept anything without a contents declaration and if it's a firearm, you can damn well bet that they're going to open it. USPS regulations require it declared. I've never shipped Federal Express. Good luck on submitting an insurance claim without a declaration, should the need arise.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I know its not necessarily the law, but every gun dealer in town (Las Vegas, NV) is only accepting firearms, longgun and handgun, from an FFL. It didn't used to be that way, but it is now. I've tried a bunch of them in the last couple of days and I hear the same story everywhere. Is this just paranoid dealers or worse yet a FFL conspiracy to get an extra $25  out of us?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#18]
so if i sell a pistol online via auction or EE, can i myself ship it to a ffl. usps? fed ex?? or both , and is overnight for a pistol my only option. thanks in advance you guys are a great source for this!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#19]

so if i sell a pistol online via auction or EE, can i myself ship it to a ffl. usps? fed ex?? or both , and is overnight for a pistol my only option. thanks in advance you guys are a great source for this!!

Go back and re-read the posts.

YES, you can legally ship a handgun interstate as long as it's being received by a licensee (dealer, manufacturer, gunsmith, etc.)

NO, USPS will not allow an unlicensed individual to ship a HANDGUN (licensees ONLY).

YES, UPS and Federal Express require a HANDGUN to be shipped overnight.

If you do sell a firearm to someone out of state, be forewarned that the dealer is NOT required to accept it. Hence, the FFL horseshit requirement. Make sure that the buyer and you get that little item squared away right off the bat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top