Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2002 4:26:51 PM EDT
Well...After 12 years of flirting with the idead of an AR-15, I finally took the Bushmaster plunge today and bought a BM Shorty plain barrel.  

Strange thing though.  The rifle I bought was presented as a "demo" model.  They sold the gun as new, but said that it had been to a local department for evaluation purposes.  The rifle came with 2-30 round factory mags.  What do you guys make of this?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#1]
What did they charge you for it?

Weclocme to the addiction.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#2]
After 12 years of flirting, it's about time you tied the knot!

It sounds like they loaned it to a local PD for a demo. Do you know how many rounds they put through it, and how long the PD had it for demo? Any wear or scratches/dings that you can tell?

IMO, the dealer should have cut you a break on the price because technically you bought a used rifle. Not that used is bad. A couple of hundred rounds and it's just getting broken in. Did he charge you a "break in" fee?

j/k about that last part. hehe
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I paid about $900 including tax.  They said the rifle had very few rounds through it.  Funny thing, I actually went into the shop in the morning and looked at their AR-15s with absolutely no intention of buying.  They guy who initially showed me the rifle sensed that I wasn't too interested.  He commented that it was very seldom that they get these demos in and he was surprised.  I think he though it was a big deal, but he seemed to sense that I "didn't get it" as though this particular rifle was unique.    

I can tell you that I looked it over real close and this Bushy appeared flawless.  I could not tell that it had any rounds through it.  I browsed some more then left for Home Depot. Later in the afternoon I said to myself screw it and went back just to pick up some mags.  I noticed that another customer had apparently been looking at it as the clerk was putting the rifle back on the rack when I cleared the door.  

They both walked away and another guy, I think the owner let me see it a second time and I said I'll take it.  The customer who had been their moments earlier looked as though he wasn't feeling so well...  I think he really wanted it.  

Anyway, I think I did alright, probably not spectacular, though.  The clerk/owner kept saying that he wished he would see more of these demos.  I think his belief was that demos that go to departments are checked over more closely so as to ensure a good product.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, NIB Bushys are $800.00 here in NY. As far as that Cock and Bull story this dealer gave you I can only say two things.
1) He saw you comming
2) Though he can impress a potential buyer with a PD loan AR15 for sale.
Why would anybody want a used rifle from a PD for the price of a new one?
I just don't get this dealers angle. I would wonder if it wasn't a return from another customer who had problems with it.
Anyway you didn't get taken for a ride that bad.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey MidnightHunter, congrats on the new AR.  The Bushmaster Shorties are cool little rifles and are very well made.  Just one thing though, I'd be careful of the dealer you bought it from, he sounds pretty slick.  In reality, he sold you a used Bushmaster for the price of a NIB Colt.  I think the other customer who was looking ill was probably sick with guilt for not calling the dealer on his BS story.

That aside, you didn't do awfully bad given it's your first AR-15.  You really can't get a better post-ban than a Bushy XM-15.  Enjoy it, this one is just the beginning.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds a bit fishy to me. Does the rifle have a flash hider, bayo lug or collapsable stock?

What are the first 5 digits of the SN#?

Check them here:
www.ar15.com/articles/article.html?article=23
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a Bushy 16" Shorty A3 for $806 (with tax) NIB (hard case, 10 rd mag, sling) this weekend..

Do you think the 30 round mags are the price difference??

Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
PD demo with Factory 30 round mags? You better check the mags for a "for LEO use only" stamp. They are illegal to own. If they dont have the "stamp" then they are worth about $30 each if in new condition. Good luck with your new rifle and remember....

1] always check the action/chamber of your rifle
2] always keep your rifle pointed in a SAFE direction
3] keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire
4]always know your target and what is behind it
5]recheck the action of you firearm to make sure its not loaded!
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I paid 749 for my NIB 16" Bushy in October. but prices from state to state might differ, I dont know. I did feel like I got a good deal........

Enjoy your new AR and have a blast......
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh thank God, I thought you were going to say you got married.  Good going you will love it.  Bushmaster is a great firearm.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought mine in Johnson City, TN in November of 2000.  Bushmaster postban, 16" m4 barrel with muzzle brake (y-comp) and A1 sights.  Paid $649, new.

I'd say you got taken.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#12]
eh.....it's all water under the bridge.  Enjoy your new rifle, I'm sure it's more than fine. Check the mags for some ID on the legality, just to be safe.

Enjoy!  Before you know it, you'll want others...I'm up to 12 now....the latest being an AK47 from Russia with love, purchased today (YES!).  You've just cracked the surface of a satisfying (and sometimes expensive) hobby.

Salute...
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#13]
All,

Thanks for the posts.  Interesting, some of you have gotten your ARs for considerably less than I've seen in a long time.  Honestly, I've not found any Colt, Bushmaster or Armalite for less than $950, new and unfired.  

I'm in Arizona, so if any of you reside here too give me the scoop on where you've picked yours up.  As for the dealer, I've dealt with them on several occasions over the last 10 years and while their prices are a tad higher than a couple of places, they're nowhere close to a some other shops.  We've got a couple of dealers in AZ that are flat out scammers.  I'm well aware of getting taken.  

As for the rifle being used, well, all I can say is its not been fired much.  Hell, if they hadn't said so nobody would know the difference.  BTW the same model sitting right next to it w/o the mags was $950.00+ w/o tax.

Perhaps the gigantic rush on the gun shops have run the prices up quite a bit since 9/11/01.  I know many shops are asking outrageous amounts for handguns like the H&K USP tactical.  Ha, one shop is asking $1,450.00 for theirs.  Geez, it can be found elsewhere here for $950.00.

Last, the Armalites were running $1,000 plus for the .223, $1,400 for the AR-10 in .308.  For comparison, Glocks 17s are $469.00.  I've often found that prices of popular handguns are a good guage to whether or not a shops overall prices are in line.  

However, If I did get taken for a ride with a returned POS you guys will be the first to know.  Thanks for the input.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe the price is a tad high, but it's a very good gun nonetheless.  Just don't feed it Wolf ammo, you'll give it an upset stomach and it will stop eating.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Welcome to the best bad habit I have! Hope you can control your addiction!

Link Posted: 1/22/2002 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Here in Or. they go from about $775.00 to $995.00 new in the box. Don't let anybody rain on your parade. I hope you enjoy your's as much as I enjoy my 16 inch V-Match. I also won two Colt Elite's. My little Bushie shoots right with the "BIG" guns out to about 300 yards, then the added weight in the 24 inch barrels starts helping out. I have installed JP Enterprise's triggers, speed hammers & titanium firing pins in all mine. Makes them much easier to shoot at "sagerats" out here. "Sagerats" is large field mice.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats, sounds good to me
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#18]
MidnightHunter,

Welcome to the club/addiction.  I just bought my first AR last week.  I have found that these forums are very helpfull for us "newbies"

So what if you paid a little extra or not.  If you are happy that is all that matters.

Enjoy the ride
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:43:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I have the exact same rifle.  I did pay a bit less $729 on Sept 11th.  No I didnt freak out.  Its just that I got all my money for the rifle that day.  Anyway its a great rifle and I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 2:15:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:07:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Congratulations on your first AR-15 purchase!

Now, how many days before you order a receiver and have a kit shipped to your house?  I'm betting less than 30.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top