Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2002 3:45:32 PM EDT
Just curious.

I talked to some Legionaires in the Gulf and they had nothing but good stuff to say about them.

Anyone ever play with one?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#1]

"Were any Famas rifles ever imported?

If they were, it's news to Me.

I've never seen one.

I've heard when you pull the trigger, instead on going BANG, out pops a flag thats says
"I SURRENDER ! "
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I think there were something like 45 imported

FA-MAS takes FA-MAS mags......(27?)
FA-MAS-A2 Takes AR-15/M-16 mags.....(18?)

all subject to IIRC.........

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just curious.

I talked to some Legionaires in the Gulf and they had nothing but good stuff to say about them.

Yes some few were imported but no I've never played with one.

If important I can probably get the numbers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just curious.

Don't go out of your way, but thanks.
I'm sure they cost several thousand more than I can spend.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I know at least SOME were imported prior to 89', saw one at a gun show a while back for $10,000! Personaly I'd just assume buy an AUG, or wait a few months for a Tavor.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw one on a table at the Soldier of Fortune show in the mid-'80s.  It was a sample to gawk at and play with and it was *pump action.*  Something about the frogs not wanting to send evil semiauto weapons over to those stoopid Americans.  So it looked cool but that's about it.  Never seen one at retail.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I know at least SOME were imported prior to 89', saw one at a gun show a while back for $10,000! Personaly I'd just assume buy an AUG, or wait a few months for a Tavor.

A friend of mine saw one at a gun show maybe five years ago.  This was the second day, Sunday and the FAMAS had been there the whole time.  Any way my guy is from out of state so forget a check.  Dude was probably a Boy Sout as he went back to his truck, unlocked the safe, grabbed his brief case full of cash and bought the darn thing for $4,000. !!
(Semi-auto)
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I heard there were 80 imported.  I saw one on GunBroker.com for $6,000 and it was only a semi.  The number 80 came from the seller of the auction, so I am not sure if that is the correct number of pre-89 imports.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#9]
i got to fondle a FA one at the sar show in 2000 damn thing felt weird. kinda liked it thu :) id rather have a AUG thu.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just curious.

Don't go out of your way, but thanks.
I'm sure they cost several thousand more than I can spend.

100 were imported all in semi-auto.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Handled one back around'89.  Only one I ever saw.  Ergonomically, it didn't seem too bad, but I've no idea on how they function.  From what I recall, their mags were specific to the rifle, so even a serious (and finacially well-off) collector could run into a snag.  If you had the bucks AND they took AR mags, it would be one of those "cool to own"'s.  Guaranteed you'd be the ONLY person at the range with one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Handled one back around'89.  Only one I ever saw.  Ergonomically, it didn't seem too bad, but I've no idea on how they function.  From what I recall, their mags were specific to the rifle, so even a serious (and finacially well-off) collector could run into a snag.  If you had the bucks AND they took AR mags, it would be one of those "cool to own"'s.  Guaranteed you'd be the ONLY person at the range with one.

Correct.  The mags were specific to the rifle.

One other advantage as I remember was the ease of conversion to left hand shooting.  No additional parts were needed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#13]
They go for over $8000 these days.  All are semi auto only.  I'd never pay so much for a butt-ugly gun like that though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw about 5 of them on the counter at B&B Guns, North Hollywood CA way back in the late eighties.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I saw about 5 of them on the counter at B&B Guns, North Hollywood CA way back in the late eighties.

North Hollywood?  Were the guns of the easy-to-find-full-auto-high-capacity-illegal-
black-market-thisIsTheReasonWeShouldDeleteThe
SecondAmendment type FAMAS?
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#16]
According to the Blue Book of Gun Values, there were only 25 FAMAS imported into the country.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw some in '88 or '89 at B&B and the Great Western show in Pomoma (when it was still a real gunshow). They were in .222 Rem as the French won't produce military caliber rifles for civilian sale. They were expensive then - around $2,500 IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#18]
These are still kinda-sorta cheap...

www.wolfs-lair.co.uk/rifle2.php3?page=1&lpp=10

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
According to the Blue Book of Gun Values, there were only 25 FAMAS imported into the country.

AR-18 (and all)
It has taken me some time to get confidence in the "100 imported number."

Anyway I've checked and feel fairly confident that about 100 FAMAS were imported.  All were .223, all require the proprietary FAMAS mag.

The full-auto rifles do use M16 mags.

No flames intended but I'm believing the "Blue Book" is wrong here.

If the Blue Book is correct then I know where 25% of the FAMAS rifles are located - four are NIB and one about 97%.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top