Posted: 1/20/2002 12:42:42 PM EDT
which should i get first?

k98
garand
rem700
10/22
enfield jungle carbine
m1 carbine

what's a good price for the k98, i want a german one not the yugo garbage i saw at a show for $400, it looked like it had been ran over by a tank.

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It all depends what you have so far,  I'd probally go with the Garand or the 1911 though. Why settle for anything less?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#2]
i'd like to get a .50 too and just pack it away, it's only a matter of time before those are gone.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I would go for the M1 or the Rem 700...

Mind you I have all the others.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would go for the M1 or the Rem 700...

Mind you I have all the others.

Mmmmmm.... Rem 700

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#5]
What caliber is that thing?  22lr?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Unfortunately, really nice 98K's are quite pricey these days compared to other Mauser rifles. From what I have observed lately, a 98k in 95% or better condition with a good bore is going to be $750 and up. If you specifically want one manufactured by a German plant as opposed to the many that were manufactured in captured Yugo and Czech plants under German supervision for use by the Wermacht, then you can add on some more money. The easiest and cheapest to find are Czech or Yugo Wermacht guns that had the Nazi proof stamps and other markings ground off by the Allies after they were captured to be reused. A German made 98K with all markings intact in the kind of condition a Yugo M48 is available in will probably be well over $1000 if the seller knows what he has. Too many were destroyed or recycled as spoils of war. The Israeli 7.62x51 mausers you see occasionaly are, if I remember correctly, reworked 98k's manufactured by the Germans in occupied Belgium (FN). Thus, a lot of potential collector pieces were altered.

I would also like one in excellent condition, but have not seen any good ones for sale at any price in recent gunshows.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#7]
i've just recently gotten into the k98..my gfs dad has one that is german marked..he got it eons ago for hunting but i doubt he's shot it since the early 80's. i havn't seen it yet but i bet it's probably pretty decent.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I would get a 1911 if you need a handgun.  You can't go wrong with either a Colt, Kimber, or SA.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Speaking of 98's I just received a Mauser 98 made by JP Saeur (sp?), the German manuf.  It is a S/147 model dated 1937.  All numbers match, all numbers on the bolt match, but they are different.  Any thoughts on what this might be worth?  How is this gun different from a 98k?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#10]
A good friend of mine gave me some advice a few years ago that might apply here.  As much as I hope it never happens.....

"Buy them in the order you think they'll get taken away in."

For me, I'm trying to get the auto's I like right now (rifle and pistol).  Next will be high-power bolt actions, shotguns, revolvers, etc...

If it looks military or SWAT, consider bumping it up on the list, save the hunting stuff for later.

I hope we never have to face this, but some feel that we all ready are, and some of the proposed "anti-terrorist" legislation seems to have completely missed the boat on the real issue and solution.  Anyway, if you're on a progressive budget, spend it wisely.  And consider using some of the new found monies to join the NRA or support the pro-gun organization of your choice.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i'd like to get a .50 too and just pack it away, it's only a matter of time before those are gone.

yup!

Get the Garand second.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top