Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2002 9:16:03 AM EDT
Hey all, I'm going to be in OKC next weekend.  Jan 24-27

Anybody know a place to shoot my ar10 and 15?

Prefer place which doesn't have objections to fmj, and would like long range stuff.

Thanks.

BTW if anyone is interested in getting together to shoot, I do have an ar10t I will be bringing, as well as a rem 700 308 pss.

WL

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
We are absolutely sucking for decent public places to shoot. For an indoor range, H&H Gun Range at I-40 and Meridian is available (in the telephone book and visible from the interstate) and for outdoor, there's one near El Reno (exit I-40 at Banner Road, turn south and follow the signs). I really can't recommend either, but they're about the only game in town for public access. Tri-City Gun Club has a range just south of Norman near I-35 and I think it may be open to the public on weekends. I'll find out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Oklahoma does suck, in the Outdoor range department.  Most outdoors ranges you have to be a member to go shoot.  I have heard all kinds of things that happen at the outdoor ranges (very unsafe). Don't go to H&H there longest range is only 30 yds. You can't even use targets that have a face on them.  There guns they have for rent SUCK, ammo is to high.  Gun prices are the worst I have seen in the metro. The guys there don't know a D%#* thing about guns.  I would say that you go and visit Outdoor America, if you are in the area.      
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Several years ago I shot at the state muzzelloader shoot at Arcadia. Is that range still open?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got to agree that OK sucks for shooting ranges.  We have 2 here in McAlester 1 is private club, the other is law enforcement only (there are some public invitations at times though).  I always go out to a place called DOW lake. There is an area to shoot, but nothing designated with lean-to's and benches.  I don't even know what shooting from a bench feels like - I use the truck.  It's a pretty safe place to shoot though (nobody can get out that far unless they've got a good lifted 4x4).   Not to steal the post, but does anybody near me want to go shooting? I'll come to you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#5]
While I cant help you much on outdoor ranges, do take the time to check out Outdoor America ( Formerly Known as Fred Baker Firearms.) it would be well worth your time, if you have never been there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Several years ago I shot at the state muzzleloader shoot at Arcadia. Is that range still open?

That's the OKC Gun Club. Membership is exclusive. Gotta know the right people. So much for second amendment there.

Not to steal the post, but does anybody near me want to go shooting? I'll come to you.

Maybe next time I head down to Push County.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#7]

I would say that you go and visit Outdoor America, if you are in the area.

take the time to check out Outdoor America ( Formerly Known as Fred Baker Firearms.)

Shitty gun shop. Emphasis on shitty. The assholes who work there/run it don't have enough sense to pour piss out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#8]
So is this an opportunity to make money?  Is there a reason OK is short on public-accessible ranges?  Legalities involved or what??
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So is this an opportunity to make money?  Is there a reason OK is short on public-accessible ranges?  Legalities involved or what??

Arock,
no legalities that I know of.

Yes, probably an opportunity to make money.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I would say that you go and visit Outdoor America, if you are in the area.

take the time to check out Outdoor America ( Formerly Known as Fred Baker Firearms.)

Shitty gun shop. Emphasis on shitty. The assholes who work there/run it don't have enough sense to pour piss out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel.

Even after you drastically under-paid for that LNIB AR-180 with scope and then demanded 18 additional mags I'm forced to agree with you !!

I occasionly go there for some quick ammo and they do have the best prices on Galco holsters.  When I do go I know exactly what I want right down to the model number of a holster.  The employees sure can't help.

I'm pretty sure the employees are paid incentive for "not selling."  The broad at the cash register is so bad I'd like to bust her chops but I'm pretty sure she could beat the shit out of me !!
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#11]
5subslr5...There's some land that's becoming more desirable for development than I want to keep it for.  I'm thinking about doing one of those "in-kind transfer" tax things and Oklahoma looks pretty good to me.

Wonder if there's an area in the "Green Country" in the northeast that would be a good place for a shooting facility?  I've got friends that moved out of Dallas to around Fanshaw and Wister but that's sorta sparsely populated.  I like the Talimena Trail area too.

I'm told it will take about $300K to setup a good set of ranges AFTER you acquire the land.  I'm sorta interested.  Know any desirable areas?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#12]

So is this an opportunity to make money? Is there a reason OK is short on public-accessible ranges? Legalities involved or what??

The opportunities are there and there aren't any big restrictions. The thing that puzzles me is that Oklahoma is a fairly unrestrictive state as far as firearms and hunting go (CCW okay, Class III okay, etc.), but there aren't any good places to shoot and there are VERY few GOOD gun shops. WTF?!!!! There was an excellent indoor range near my house that was short-lived. The city of OKC bought him out for future expansion and the owner relocated his business and built himself a private range. Everyone else lost on that deal.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
5subslr5...There's some land that's becoming more desirable for development than I want to keep it for.  I'm thinking about doing one of those "in-kind transfer" tax things and Oklahoma looks pretty good to me.

Wonder if there's an area in the "Green Country" in the northeast that would be a good place for a shooting facility?  I've got friends that moved out of Dallas to around Fanshaw and Wister but that's sorta sparsely populated.  I like the Talimena Trail area too.

I'm told it will take about $300K to setup a good set of ranges AFTER you acquire the land.  I'm sorta interested.  Know any desirable areas?

Lt me think about it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Wonder if there's an area in the "Green Country" in the northeast that would be a good place for a shooting facility? I've got friends that moved out of Dallas to around Fanshaw and Wister but that's sorta sparsely populated. I like the Talimena Trail area too.

OKC would be a better bet. Tulsa, Muskogee, Sallisaw, etc. have more options than we do here. I've got access to beaucoup places over there, too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#15]
   I'm from the Green Country part of Ok, and the reason there's no good ranges it that there's basically no demand. Still pretty sparsely populated, and anyone who wants to shoot either has land or knows someone who does. Every time I'm back home I turn my folks' place into a big outdoor range complex of my own, and its only 2 miles or so out of the city limits. And its not all friendly for ranges either. Few years back a sporting clays range opened up about 5 miles out of town, massive  moaning and bitching from the  few neighbors, property values and noise ,etc.  Guess I'm lucky, I can  safely take up to half mile shots off my parents' front porch.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm from the Green Country part of Ok, and the reason there's no good ranges it that there's basically no demand.

No demand over there, but a different situation here in OKC.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#17]
   you could always get out of what the rest of the state refers to as "the big cesspool at the end of the turnpike."  Personally I got nothin against OKC, Bricktown is cool and the zoo ampitheater is probably the best place i've ever seen the nuge. Funny how anywhere in America I go, all Oklahoma is known for is "the bomb" and I have to tell people no, I'm about 200+ miles from there. Seems odd though, OKC and west is way more open and unpopulated than  Tulsa on east,  maybe it's the same situation out there, just who ya know.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#18]

you could always get out of what the rest of the state refers to as "the big cesspool at the end of the turnpike."

It's not practical to go driving all over hell and back for every range session. Brick Town is for tourists and I have never heard of OKC being only known for its bombing. More tourist dis/misinformation.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#19]
   Yep, I'll agree it's mis-information.It just happens to be coast to coast misinformation. And since I've been to OKC maybe ten or so times I guess I am a tourist when there. Why, used to, goin to OKC or T-Town was a trip to the big city for this redneck. You know, the kind of occasion you get all the cow crap off your truck for. You gotta admit though, OK isn't known for a whole lot besides football and fertilizer bombs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I've travelled a lot, too and I've never, ever heard any of that. Just like California's not known only for O.J., Texas isn't known only for Charles Whitman and Lee Oswald, Arkansas isn't known only for Bill Clinton, etc. Just tourist crap.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#21]
   I know this thread is startin to stray, but two out of those three states actually have other stuff to be known for. Arkansas, well, I love the place but in eastern Ok many people haven't got much use for it, just a big smelly chicken farm for many. I'm not trying to slam Ok, I was born and raised there and will return in 10 months. Just in time to miss deer season,btw. Realistically though, it doesn't have that great a reputation elsewhere. Fine by me, I'm getting tired of all the tourists and retirees  screwing up my hometown.  But I would like to see some public ranges open up , its not like they're lacking the space. Up til a couple years ago, my hometown's PD used a gravel pit at the municipal airport for a range. Seems the FAA took a dim view of that though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#22]

You gotta admit though, OK isn't known for a whole lot besides football and fertilizer bombs.

Gee, I thought we were known for producing oil, inventing the parking meter, inventing the shopping cart, having lots of lakes, being the home to many entertainers, producing a U.S. Speaker of the House (Carl Albert), and hosting the world's largest gun show. I didn't realize that the other forty-nine states were each known for something really significant. What should we be known for? I'd like to know.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#23]
  Ummmm... most of the oil well thingies I've seen are idle, the capitol grounds is just for show nowdays, inventing the p. meter won't win you any friends anywhere. For lakes, Minnesota has , what, 10,000? And Alaska stopped counting at like 3 million. My hometown is on 1 of these lakes and they're good for lots...of traffic jams, stupid yuppy weekenders from Tulsa, and low paying tourist industry shit-work. Yes we produced lots of entertainers,even got it right with some of 'em. Most people will say"Carl who?" and "Whats the speaker of the house?"  Seems like every Congress has to have a SOH, they've came from all over. As for the WLGS, you got me there. I miss real okie gun shows. Up here its a joke. Seen some of the same guns at every show for 20 months around here. Just yesterday I saw a CAI Garand priced at $785 at a show. So sad.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#24]
what nobody is saying is that most of us good ol boys have a good place in about a 30 mile drive where we all go to shoot our guns,  wellston,jones,arcadia,harrah ect..   it's just none of them are asking you to go..
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#25]
What should we be known for? You seem to have the answers, so let's hear them. Hint: the welcome wagon ain't waiting for you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#26]
 Jim,Jim,Jim...I never said I had the answers and I'm not tryin' to piss ya off here. Trust me I'll have plenty of a welcome wagon waitin' for me when I come rollin' back. I don't have the answers ,nor did I ever claim to. I kind of enjoy being from one of the un-appreciated states, helps keep more of the riff and the raff away.And hey, when everyone has a low expectation of 'ya, its easy to impress.hehehe. It's nice to live somewhere that if you want anything newsworthy to happen you might as well do it yourself, cuz ain't no one else gonna do anything . Like RK said "can't we all just get along?" or something like that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#27]
  Hey, problem solved. If you are ever in extreme NE Ok, come shoot at the farm ranch place thing. It's lots of fun to piss off all the townfolk. I like to do it on the busy lake Holiday weekends( Mem. Day, Labor Day, etc.) Makes the tourists think they're in a war zone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#28]

I never said I had the answers and I'm not tryin' to piss ya off here.

You sure as hell fooled me. I don't know what to tell the critics. Oklahoma ain't perfect and it ain't paradise, but it's home.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#29]
BAck about shooting ranges...one thing that always stands out about places to shoot is they're usually not very organized or professional.  Most are sorta Mom-n-Pop places or expensive private clubs.  Not much in between.

So how about a franchised-type operation?  Standard layout with standard amenities.  Seems like folks have reinvented the wheel everywhere I shoot.  Some with better results than others.  Why go through all that when you could have it in a package?

With the millions of shooters out there it seems like a reasonable demographic to market.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
BAck about shooting ranges...one thing that always stands out about places to shoot is they're usually not very organized or professional.  Most are sorta Mom-n-Pop places or expensive private clubs.  Not much in between.

So how about a franchised-type operation?  Standard layout with standard amenities.  Why go through all that when you could have it in a package?

My usual mode for beginning a new business is to travel and visit.  Usually best to start in California - yes, yes I know but still - California.
Seek out and visit no fewer than five nor is more than ten often needed.
Obviously I would be on the prowl to steal every good idea I found.  (Too often ignored and almost as valuable is to find out what NOT to do.)

Pay attention to the needs and wants of the female shooter. (PAY ATTENTION TO THE NEEDS AND WANTS OF THE FEMALE SHOOTER !)
A start would be something as simple as a 2.5 acre women's room.

RESEARCH-RESEARCH-RESEARCH !
(See stealing ideas above.)

Establish a demographic profile of the "target" customer. We might be surprised as to which areas are better.

Machine Guns for rent - a gotta have.  This isn't Uncle Sub's sex class but from reliable testimony I've heard married guys say the best sex lately was after the wife handled all that power.
Oh, guys seem to like them too.

There is possibly a better vehicle than the "franchise."

Sory Rock but I guess I just don't like your idea.

(Jim_Dandy, where are you ??  Weigh in.)
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

OK what part(s) give you trouble.  I value your response cause I remember you are a successful businessman too.  Is it the idea of a standardized layout, unified marketing or the basic franchise concept?

Demographics can be run and a business model developed that could be marketable.

**Edited to say I value JD's words as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK what part(s) give you trouble.

**Edited to say I value JD's words as well.

Sorry dude but I was being facetious and should not have been when discussing bidness !

I like your idea.
I believe your idea has merit.

For a moment forget your specific idea. (Ranges)

Yours is a "Classical Approach" to a fragmented, heavily fragmented industry.  

No more than twenty years ago (and probably fifteen) both the funeral home and pawn shop business were perfect examples of "fragmented" industries.

Then some Ft Worth CPA had this wild idea about consolidating the funeral home industry and his rotten little idea became an extremely sucesful public company ...can't recall the name at the moment.
His second idea was to conolidate and further build the pawn business.  That little idea is named "Cash America."
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#33]
5subslr5 you have email.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#34]

BAck about shooting ranges...one thing that always stands out about places to shoot is they're usually not very organized or professional. Most are sorta Mom-n-Pop places or expensive private clubs. Not much in between.

I'd say that this assessment is pretty well dead on.

Pay attention to the needs and wants of the female shooter. (PAY ATTENTION TO THE NEEDS AND WANTS OF THE FEMALE SHOOTER !)
A start would be something as simple as a 2.5 acre women's room.

Definitely, definitely, definitely. That cannot be over emphasized.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#35]
There is a good range west of OKC, between Yukon and El Reno and south of I-40.  Outdoor pistol, rifle, shotgun.  Get off of I-40 at the Banner Rd. exit.  Drive south on Banner Rd and follow the sign west.  Good luck and good shooting.  PS:  My wife just took her CCW permit course / qualification there 2 weeks ago.  Buzzy
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#36]
See earlier post and comments.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#37]
JD you have email.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#38]
What about buying guns in OK?

I need a gun before I need a range to shoot it at.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Now that we've sufficiently discouraged you, TxLewis, if you'd like to shoot early in the afternoon on Thursday, I'd be interested.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#40]
hey 203gnr i grew up in a small town on keystone lake wich is just outside of tulsa. also there is a fairly good range outside of town in kellyville area called happy hollow open to public for 7 dollars you can shoot all day out to 200 yards the only crappy thing is 3 seconds between shots.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#41]
  hey pipefitter, which town would that be? I'm from the main town on Grand Lake,the little metropolis of Grove. Is Keystone one of the Corps controlled lakes? As in no lakeside property ownership or development? Grand Lake area is just getting outrageous  with the development and "progress". Seem to remember some of Keystone though, if I'm thinkin of the right lake,very nice country.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#42]
yea keystone is corp, i grew up in the metropolis of cleveland population 3000 and you are correct it is some damn good country.its on the banks of the arkansas river lots of woods rocks and hills.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Buzzy, I found that range.  Nice place to shoot.  The guy running it was a nice fellow.  FMJ's ok.  Loaned you a stapeler, rifle rest avail for $2.00.  Thanks

It was a bit windy, so it was just shooting for kicks.

WL
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Owning 160 acres in NE Atoka County sho does have its merits.

(Gotta watch out for that Kiamichi bunch, though.)
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Owning 160 acres in NE Atoka County sho does have its merits.

So would taking a geography lesson.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Oklahoma is great  there are two populated centers Tusla, OKC and then there are lots of towns. But once you get outside those areas it almost completely deserted. So you may have 5 million in state all together and 69,000 square miles of real estate.  The reason there are no ranges is because most the people have somewhere to shoot.  Lexington is re-opened now and is south of Noble which is south of Norman which is south of Oklahoma city.  Take I-35 North in your case to Highway Nine north of Noble go down highway nine until you come to the Noble exit take that street all the way down through noble and then you will come to lexington.... I need some help now as I have not been there in 5 years.  The Lexington Rifle Range is on the Lexington public hunting area and has about a 50 yard range max maybe 75 yards.  You can tell the people from OKC have come there as all the signs are all shot to hell.  To bad for us.   My grandad always shot from his front yard at Eufuala in the Trailor area off lottawataRoad. Its funny, his Colt Navy .44 pistols and all the other pistols he built (FROM KITS) He had this .50 cal black powder pistol that he built from scratch. The thing was a complete cannon.  I miss him.  

Anyways Oklahoma is a good place to live. In fact when I was growing up and a teenager I always wanted to leave.  But now I wouldn't leave this place for nothing.  It has went from being a TEENAGE drag to one of the Few RED BLOODED AMERICAN Areas of the country left.

Hunting is good as we had record dear populations this year.  Quale are fairly easy to find. Pheasent in Beaver county, in the pan handle.  Squirrels in abundance, Raggits too.  Coyotes also if that is your game. Some people still trap.  Fishing is pretty good. Nope wouldn't ever leave.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:05:48 AM EDT
[#47]
oh my....the weird and cultish hatred that Tulsans have for central Oklahoma just could not be left out of this thread.  

Tulsans- I've been up there with friends from out of state, and let me tell ya, you're not that impressive either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top