Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2002 6:18:19 PM EDT
Well Ive been a member for a month or so now, but I actually bought my first rifle yesterday and it is a Colt AR-15 pre-ban. I know the lower is because of the serial #. The upper is a 20" H-Bar A-2 style with a CM marking on the rear of the handle and this mean "colt match" I think? AT the end of the barrel is what looks to be a flash suppressor but in another post a guy that had the same looking thing was calling it a barrel brake. So Im not exactly sure if this is a true pre-ban upper. Well, I guess it would have to be because it was assembled before the ban. I guess IM just not sure that it has a flash suppressor or barrel brake. Its about an inch and a half long and has 5 1/2" slots on the top in a 180 degree array. I'll try to get some pics up tonight. Oh yea, it also came with a cheasy red star scope(made in china) and came with 2 30 mags and one 10 mag. Im ready to party now!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#1]
TROLL!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#2]
BTW, her name is Black Betty...cause she's sooo fine frambalam!!!.....am I losing it?
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont get it....why am i a troll?...Boomholzer convinced me I needed this gun in a previous post. I dont know much about the AR but Im learning so bare with me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't understand half of what goes on around here either. Congratulations on your purchase.  Now get out there and shoot it.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Bill. I'll shoot it when I get some money for ammo :-)~
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats!!!  Take some time and learn all you can.  We all started out not knowing anything.  Dont let a few jerks get to you.  It amazes me what I see here sometimes!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#8]
The great thing about the AR-15 is that ammo is cheap.  I thought I would just use this as a plinker but all I do now is see how accurate I can get with it.  Its also very addictive, and can quickly draw in your paycheck buying ammo, triggers, floating barrel assembly, weights, and other fine items.  
Have fun.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey, guys, cut him a little slack. I have seen some of his posts where he was thinking about purchasing this rifle. Siennfein, if the muzzle attachment threads off, it is a flash suppressor. If it is permanently-attached, it is a muzzle brake. The only time a flash suppressor is permanently-attached is on civilian 14.5" barrels to yield the legal 16" barrel length. Congrats!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#10]
M4Madness: It has to thread off because there are two flats across the back for a wrench. I tried to take it off but I need to take it to work where I can use the vice. Thanks again guys. Im sooooo glad I picked the AR over the HKSL8-1
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, I have pics on disk...now i have to figure out how to post them....brb
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
M4Madness: It has to thread off because there are two flats across the back for a wrench. I tried to take it off but I need to take it to work where I can use the vice. Thanks again guys. Im sooooo glad I picked the AR over the HKSL8-1

siennfein, welcome to the club. You were a lucky bastard getting it for the price you did.

Good job! Glad you checked in here for advice.

So are you planning on turning it into a carbine, keeping the original upper, or putting another 20" upper on it?

Anyway, what a great find (and investment). You'll be thanking yourself for years.

PS: You're correct, much better than the HKSLB-1. Especially for the money.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, we'll see if this works.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/siennfein/vwp?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&.dnm=Mvc-002f---1.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I actually got it for a bit less than he wanted to sell it for. I bought it for $950. As for upgrades I kinda wanted to get a bi-pod, 14 power scope, maybe a bullbarrel and free float tube and I also want to change the safety abit to accomodate my left handedness. I need a good gun case first and was originally considering a "tactical bag type" but I think a hard plastic would be better. When I figured out it was a pre-ban I was reluctant to ask him more questions about it because it was obvious he didnt know the market on pre-bans. He said he only fired 20-30 rounds through it and it shows. This gun is immacualte.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#15]
just kidding about the troll thing, bro.

its just a sarcastic thing because there are members on this board who are convinced that the gubment is watching this site.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#17]
let's see if we can go one better:

let me know if it shows or is a red x because it's probably still in my cache.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Judging by your pics, your AR15 upper is a preban, your camera at work is digital & your camera at home is a POS webcam.
I can tell because my POS webcam pics look like your do.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Its a red X for me Vinnie. Thanks for trying though. I have about 4-5 pics on that yahooo sight of my CAR-15, Glock and other hobbies I have. If I new how to post pics I would post them. BTW, there is also a closeup of the flash suppressor...or at least I think its a flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I dont get it....why am i a troll?...Boomholzer convinced me I needed this gun in a previous post. I dont know much about the AR but Im learning so bare with me.

I did what?
BBBBBBWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAA!

Congrats, get us some clearer pics.

I looked through your photoalbum.  Looks like you got a muzzle-brake and not a flash-hider. Hard to tell the pics are really dark.

That your shop?

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#21]
That's a nice looking AR!  Now, lose the USA mags and get some USGI 30rd'ers.  Try these places for some:

www.gunbroker.com  
           or
www.auctionarms.com

Please be aware of shipping charges.  If you can't get a better price than $30 WITH shipping for a new in wrapper mag, then skip it and keep looking.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 4:14:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Congrats on your new purchase you get a chance get some pics of your barrel to if it is or not!
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Those pics are actually with a $500 Digi camera. I just havnt used it a whole lot and dont know how to get the best pics. My rooms a little dark but I know this thing has a flash on it. Yep Boom thats where I work. I'll try to get some better pics though. BTW, I know this thing threads off....could it still be a barrel break if it threads on? Oh yea, the barrel is actually only 19" without this screw on peice but its 21 and some odd " with it on.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Here you go siennfein.

Link Posted: 1/19/2002 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Let's see if this works for you Siennfein.
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwsjb/pictures/rifle.jpg
Nice looking rifle.  I hope to assemble my first AR within the next couple three weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top