Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2002 7:42:03 PM EDT
I've just made my first AR and I was told that to make elevation adjustments, you raise or lower the front site post.  How?  This whole AR site thing is completely mind boggling!!!

Any help?

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a site adjustment tool.  They have plenty of them for sale on Ebay.  In a bind, you can use needle nose pliers (cover the tips with platic or something) but I would highly recommend against it.  You'll scratch up the site post real bad.  Your local rifle shop might lend you one on sight (if they aren't cheap bastards like the people at my local shop).  Just push down and twist like a screw.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Well (unless I’m missing something here), the front sight turns up and down like a screw to adjust elevation.  

You can turn it by using the tip of a FMJ cartridge to depress the detent in front of the sight and, while holding the detent down, use the cartridge tip to also push the sight either clockwise or counter-clockwise.  

The tool does work a lot better, though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#3]
199, I have tried that method like shown in the tech manual and it is hard as hell.  I'm going to just buy the tool.

Anyone have a page that details how to use the elevation knob?

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi Keving67,
I will try to be short and simple. The front sight post is usually set once and left alone. All of the adjustments for ranges from 0 out to 600 yards can be made on the rear once the front is set. take your rear and wind it all the way to the left side of the rifle. Now count the clicks all the way to the right. Center the sight in the midle.
Take your rear and wind it all the way to the bottom. wind it up 10 clicks.
Take your front and wind it down into the front assembly untill the flare of the post is even with the front assembly.
Now go to the range. at 50 yards you should be about 2 inches high, and on center. IS it??
To raise the point of impact wind the front down into the rifle.
once you have 2 inches high on center at 50 go to 100 yards. should be about on center. To lower the shot the front has to be screwed out of the rifle.
As you may have noted I did not tell you to move the rear in the up/down direction yet.DON't
When you have a good center shot at 100 yards forget the front is there and use the rear for every thing... dont ever move the front again unless you want to start over....
This a simple start ment not to insult but to get you on the right track...
When you have played with it for a while you will fully understand. If not send me an email ....pat
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]
paterpk, thank you so much.  That was exactly what I was looking for.

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Any time !  Like I said if you have any more problems post them here and then send me an email...pat
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
199, I have tried that method like shown in the tech manual and it is hard as hell.  I'm going to just buy the tool.

I agree emphatically!!

Be sure and get the right tool: 5 prongs for A1 (round) front sight, 4 prongs for A2 (square).
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#8]
FMJ cartridge worked for me!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ditto, but I only had to turn it up a click or 2.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto, but I only had to turn it up a click or 2.

Me too, but I found that M855 is easier to use for depressing the plunger, and turning the post because it is just a little more pointy.  The sight adjustment tool makes it even easier.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:13:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I used an awl, and it seemed to work ok.  It is hard though, I am glad I didn't have to click it down more than three times!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I took two large paper clips and bent them.  It worked great, was cheap, and did not scratch up the front site.

Brad
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I just use the eraser on the end of a pencil. Press it down over the post  & it makes a hole in it that turns it perfectly with out messing anything up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, but the ammo was already paid for and I had a few mags of them at the time at the range.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 2 sight tools and neither one of them fit between the ears on my Colt, DPMS, or RRA.

It sucks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top