Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2002 6:43:59 AM EDT
Someone posted somewhere that the SA Mil-Spec 1911 has a 2-piece barrel.  What does this mean, exactly, and does it affect quality?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Supposedly, some 1911 tubes are constructed by swedging or welding a reinforce, mounting the link "ears" and the locking lugs over a section of rifled barrel. I have not seen this personally on a 1911 barrel, but it is used by other manufacturers..
Meplat-
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#2]
It's not a new idea, BHP's have had 2-peice bbls for years, Personally, I don't care for it,It's just another way of making a bbl,I don't think it affects quality, as I said, BHP's have had them for years, and they shoot well
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't worry about the barrel. I ran +P threw mine for over 20,000 rounds and it never showed any signs of seperation. The friend that I sold it to has put another 10,000 rounds down the barrel and still no problems.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Someone posted somewhere that the SA Mil-Spec 1911 has a 2-piece barrel.  What does this mean, exactly, and does it affect quality?  Thanks.

Just look on the outside diameter where the chamber meets the rifled barrel. You'll see a hairline seam. I never noticed this before someone pointed it out to me. Nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
One of my 45s is a Springfield. To tell the truth I never paid any attention whether or not the barrel is 1 or 2 pieces. All I can say is I've put more that 10,000 rounds through it and its still going strong. I would definately buy another Springfield 45.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes Sringfield barrels are 2 piece.You can see the parting line on the front of the chamber.I have one with 50,000+ rounds of 230 grain cast at 850fps.It still works fine.I have another with 10,000 or so thru it.Agian no problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top