Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2002 11:44:06 AM EDT
I put a Beretta 92 FS, the M9 version 1 of 5000, on lay-a-way. I have never shot a beretta, just held it. I thouht it would be bigger and heavier. It wasn't bad at all. What kind of accuracy can I expect? Where can I get milspec ammo for it. What is the milspec requirements for 9mm? Also, I do a lot of reloading for other calibers .223, .45, .38, .357, .40, but not 9mm. What would be some good duplicate milspec loads as well as acuracy loads. Lastly, how do you like your Beretta? Thanks Jay
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 92FS as well, and it is a joy to shoot. It points right, has a good trigger, and is very accurate. It has a very good feel to it.

And, www.cheaperthandirt.com has 15 rnd. hi-caps for about $13 (not factory).

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been shooting them for over 10 years.
As far as reloading, do not use lead bullets.  The barrels are chromed lined and the lead will bind to the barrel, use jacketed bullets. Sounds like your will be a collector and not a shooter.

My current one is a 92fs. I had the frame nickeled. The barrel is bead blaster and hand lapped. The barrel lock has been worked to tighen up the barrel to frame. Polished trigger and sear. Recoil and trigger spring has been replaced to Wolf springs.  Rear sight has been changed to a Mec-gar adj. Grips have been changed out to full wraps(big hands). This pistol has seen over 20,000 rounds an is still tight, and a tack driver.  

As far as mags, I have used about every after market ones in the pistol without problems. But if you keep them loaded, you will have problems with the slide lock on the last shot.The springs on some take a set too fast.

I should note that I have changed the springs to Wolf extra power, and changed out the floor plates to factory ones. I "free drop" mags on reloads(match), and stack my second and third mag to the top(reworked followers).

P.S. Pull the slide apart every 10,000 rounds and clean the firing pin and extractor. There is a void behind the exstractor, and above firing pin and channel.  The fouling won't stop the pistol, just slowes that lock time in regards to firing pin movement.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#3]
congrats on the new purchase

however be warned
even though it is a collectable limited edition pistol when new and unfired.

once you put a few rounds through it. It will no longer have any additional collector value over a generic model 92. It will simply  be another used beretta .

Ok now that I got that out of the way beretta model 92's are superb pistols they are a joy to shoot and will eat anything .

As far as loads are concerned ive never had any leading problems with mine but I never shoot 500 plus rounds in one sitting either.

Id suggest reloading somthing in a 115 grain cast round nose to start.
Save the hard hitting fmj mil-spec rounds for commie and rag head season.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Beretta 96 Brigadier Inox. I prefer the .40 S&W to the 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 92FS INOX that I've shot for about a
year and I really like it. I put the firedragon buffer in it and could tell some difference. A wrap around grip sure helped the feel. My other "9" is an HK P9S and I have a slight preference for the Beretta, seems to have less front pop-up on firing that I attribute to more mass in front from the longer barrel. I have yet to have a misfeed in either and have shot lots of Federal, Blazer, and Winchester white box.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I re-load for my 92, I use unique, 4.7 grains I think.  anyways just enough to assure another round in the chamber.  works good and is a joy for any recoil sensitive person to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 92fs in black with factory Beretta Hogue grips and I like it just fine.  I dry-fired mine in excess of 2,000 times with an A-zoom snap cap and the trigger really smoothed out though it is still heavy.  I think that Winchester white box 115 gr FMJ is probably a good milspec clone load.  It seems to be pretty hot also.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I purchased one of those M9's earlier this year and have loved shooting it.  I also purchased 2 aftermarket hi-cap mags and after a little fine tuning to the lips the mags have worked flawlessly.  Not one single jam.

I only shoot FJ ammo through it.  I am wanting to try some Hydro-shocks soon. I have always liked the Hydro-shok rounds ever since I used them deer hunting with my S&W 629.

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I love my 92FS INOX as well.  I put a hogue grip and an internal laser from LaserMax in it.

As far as ammo, I hear it was designed with 124gr in mind as far as 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#10]
For all of you Beretta lovers out there, if you haven't sent it to Ernest for a Level II trigger job you don't know what you're missing.

And his stainless guide rod makes them even more pleasent to shoot.

www.langdontactical.com/
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#11]
96FS and 96FS Centurion for me.
I like the .40's, too.
Here's a couple of useful sites to use for Beretta enthusiasts:

BERETTA "L":
beretta.squawk.com/

and  

Beretta-Forum.com:
www.beretta-forum.com/

Thanks for reminding me!

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got my 92fs a week ago.  Let me tell you, that gun is hands down the best pistol I have ever shot.

I own a sig 229 and a USPF.

My first three rounds at 7 yards were one hole.  My 15 shot groups were one tear about 2-3" long at 7 yards.  This 2-3X what I normally shoot in 357 sig or 45 and I have put about 600-700 rounds through those.

The gun shoots well for me, costs less than either other pistol and just plain feels better.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats on your purchase.Ive had mine for about 5 years and still love it.Eveyone who shots it likes the 92f also.Ive had alot of guns come and go but my berreta will stay forever i hope.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I have owned my Beretta 92F since 1989, and it's a great gun.  Very accurate, will feed/shoot any 9mm given to it, and easy to disassemble and clean.  Shot a 7-inch group of 50 rounds for my Concealed Carry Weapon practical test (perfect score).  So, you can see I enjoy the 92F.

It puts me in a quandary though, because my FAVORITE gun is the 1911 and I believe it's a superior design for defense carry purposes.  I have always *tinkered* with the idea of selling this pre-ban Beretta to purchase another 1911...but can't ever seem to bring myself to do it (besides, I hate SELLING my guns).

Fantastic gun, you made a good choice for 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there such a thing as a preban handgun?  

Now preban MAGS on the other hand... Sportsmans Guide has 30 rounders for $25.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Is there such a thing as a preban handgun?  

Now preban MAGS on the other hand... Sportsmans Guide has 30 rounders for $25.

Good point.  Actually, the answer to the best of my knowledge is "NO."  However, I HAVE had people concerned about whether or not it was legal for them to put high-cap mags in a pistol that was made after the high-cap ban.

My friend was selling a Beretta at a gun show and 3 people asked him if the gun was made before or after the ban.  He honestly didn't know, but was a more-than-coincidence question.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I had to choose between a 1911 and a Beretta 92; since I already had a .45- I wanted a 9mm for cheap shooting and Hicap. I'm very pleased with my choice. My 92 is very accurate. I shoot it very well. It is everything I wanted it to be. Now I'm saving for a 1911.

see ya at the range
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Jay29, I bought the same gun about a month ago. I have only shot it a couple times, but it is a great shooter. I have been shooting reloads in it with no problems at all. Other than some times the slide won't latch open after the last round is fired. Probably to mild of a load.

Jamie
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 3:51:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Jay, heres how accurate the Beretta is, I was not going to shoot my M9 1 of 5000 but last weekend I took it out back to my range, I had my 16 yr old Son who has never fired a pistol with me. At 25 yds the kid put 12 out of 15     shots in a 9" paper plate. And you will love field stripping it. I had not handled a Beretta prior to this. I am super impressed, I love my SA 1911 but I wish we had these M9s in the 60s.  Gene
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I never thought I'd find a better fit to my hand than my HiPower 'til I got my 92fs.
The double action first shot takes getting used to, but in a self defense situation, 3-7 yds, shrug.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
...Other than some times the slide won't latch open after the last round is fired. Probably to mild of a load.
Jamie

Jamie:  Let me gues...are you using aftermarket magazines?  If so, that's your problem.  I have noticed that Berettas can be finicky about aftermarket magazines, and this particular slide lock problem USUALLY occurs because the mag was jammed a bit too high into the magwell.  The lip of the magazine needs to be filed ever so slightly to bring it back into Spec with the Beretta factory mags (it's happened to me as well).

Just an educated guess...let me know if I'm right about you having some aftermarket mags--next time at the range you should jam one up in there REAL good to see if you can duplicate the problem.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Canooger, If your saving for another 1911, I have found a dealer in FL that is selling STI Edge's for a little over $1400.  E-mail me and I can forward his e-mail responce to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top