Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2002 7:52:52 PM EDT
I have a Colt SP-1 AR-15 that I bought new in 1981, and have been thinking of installing a 16" lightweight barrel and collaspable stock. I removed the old triangle handguards and short stock years ago and installed later A2 plastic. I just don't shoot it that often and have always liked the looks of the little carbine with no forward assist ect. I have the original stock and triangle handguards, the original 20 rd. mag with the U shaped block that Colt installed, even have the old set of Gun-chaps camo covers! Will it kill the value of this gun to make these mods?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes! Dont screw it up and put the old stuff back on it. Build one of hose M fakery jobs. It will always keep if not grow in value.
GG
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 2:50:54 AM EDT
[#2]
none of my preban rifles in any way resembles the way they left the factory--but since i can put them back justlike they were--why does it matter what you do to them?????  Dick
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:15:12 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as you can restore it and don't do anything stupid like drilling extra holes in the suitcase handle, you are OK.  But the better solution is to do the true AR15 dot com thing and buy another rifle with the mods you want and keep what you already have.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#4]
in my opinion, and keep in mind, i'm a shooter not a collector...

i think it will increse the value.  really, people around here will pay much more for a "cool looking" carbine than an all original SP1.  selling the Sp1 youd be looking at about $1200 tops, but as a carbine you could probably get at least $1400 out of it...

my opinion from what ive seen...
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
in my opinion, and keep in mind, i'm a shooter not a collector...

i think it will increse the value.  really, people around here will pay much more for a "cool looking" carbine than an all original SP1.  selling the Sp1 youd be looking at about $1200 tops, but as a carbine you could probably get at least $1400 out of it...

my opinion from what ive seen...

I agree completely, but a new upper would cost more than the $200.00 difference in resale value.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I ripped my SP1 to pieces many years ago.  Since it is a preban you can put a real collapsible stock on it not some hokey fixed pinned look alike.  I much prefer the flattop CAR 16" barrel configuration to the SP1.  Just keep the old stuff if you ever want to put it back together.  In fact I would get a whole new flattop barreled upper and put the CAR stock on the lower.  You could put the thing back to original status in 5 minutes.  I own guns to use, not to look at with fond nostalgia.  YMMV.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#7]
if u do mod it just save the parts

thats what im doing
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#8]
My LGS has a CAR SP1 for $1795.  A bit high, but that should show you the value of an unaltered SP1.  Leave it alone.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I would leave it as is.  It gives you the perfect excuse to go out and buy a new gun in the configuration you want.  

Cloak-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top