Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2002 6:27:06 PM EDT
I have a 1972 Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight 12ga. Where can you get a 18"-20" barrel and a magazine extension or any extra goodies. This model has the nice feature of being able to hold the trigger in and just work the pump. Its alot of fun! Also how reliable are these guns? Thanks for the help.

This is why I was asking. It is the same reciever as the one I have and it has the extended mag.
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=2820651
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one too. Nice looking park finish and sweet wood. I went ahead and NFA Form 1'd the bastard to a SBS, and cut it down to 13.5" The slam fire feature is nice. I don't think it needs anything else except a sling. Oh, I did add a Blackhawk ammo pouch (12GA Shell Holder) to the stock. All and all...sweet!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#2]
They’re excellent shotguns.  If I recall correctly, the regular Model 37 has been used by the US military, the California Highway Patrol, and the NY City PD, among others.

Personally, I’ll admit I don’t like the bottom ejection.

Try www.gunpartscorp.com/ for parts.  Also, I believe Ithaca is back in business.  You might try to track them down.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure, but I don't think you can get an extension mag for an Ithaca 37 because the mag is integral to the action.  So if you can't extend the mag, cut the barrel like rigidrotor.  Remember the Ithaca Auto-Burglar?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
How reliable are they? It's John M. Browning design, does that help answer your question?

Besides the aforementioned gunpartscorp.com, here are a few sources for barrels... auctionarms.com, gunbroker.com, gunsamerica.com, brownells.com, ithacagun.com, and I've even seen them on eBay. Not too many aftermarket parts available for them, but maybe that will change now that Ithaca has come out with their "Homeland Security" model.

Chairborne_Ranger is right, you can't add a magazine extension due to the way the barrel attaches to the mag tube. Only thing I would recommend is maybe a sling and a rubber buttpad... at 6 lbs. they kick like a mule! I can email you a disassembly manual if you're interested. It's in 10 parts, total about 1Mb.
Here's a pic of my '66 Ithaca riot gun...
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice Big Bear, mine has a duck hunting scene, and a serial number...where's yours located on your Ithaca?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Where's the serial number? On the right side of the receiver just above the trigger and below the bottom receiver screw.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#8]
duh...just looked at mine, also on the right side. Guess I'm think too much about my AR
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone have any ideas for a sling for the M37?  I was thinking zip tieing a looped web sling (than I have extra thanks to my CQB Solutions sling) to the buttstock as a single point sling type arangement.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#10]
holding a nice model 37 right now. its a featherlight 28" vent rib barrel and the wood is a high gloss with very nice checking patterns on the wood. pheasent hunting sceen with dog on one side and a duck hunting sceen on the other bright blue finish. wood had some scrathes but not bad. overall very nice shotgun.
anybody want to buy it for $200 cash but must be a colorado personal sale.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Vinnie, Uncle Mikes makes a set of sling swivels for the 37. That would work for a 2-point sling.

Or you could rig up a CQB type sling. The buttstock would be easy as it would basically velcro on like the 870 or 590. The forend part would be harder but I think a zip-tied or paracorded loop would work okay. It wouldn't be purty but it would be functional.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 3:24:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Not sure, but I don't think you can get an extension mag for an Ithaca 37 because the mag is integral to the action. So if you can't extend the mag, cut the barrel like rigidrotor. Remember the Ithaca Auto-Burglar?

That's incorrect. For a time Ithaca offered the Model 37 DSPS with an eight-shot magazine and a barrel with the magazine stop extended further towards the muzzle to accomodate the longer magazine tube. A few of these barrels are still out there, but you'll have to look. The second option here is to remove the magazine stop and have it silver soldered as needed. However, there were most certainly eight-shot Model 37s and it is certainly possible to modify yours.

Brownell's used to sell extended magazine tubes and Pennsylvania Gun Parts 1701 Mud Run Road York Springs, PA 17372 (717) 259-8010 had everything else. Most items should be available from Ithaca, too.

It is not entirely a John Browning design. This first appeared as the Remington Model 1908 from Irwin Pedersen and evolved into the improved Model 1910 from John Browning. A twenty gauge version debuted as the Model 1917 Remington and both the Models 1910 and 1917 were superseded by the Model 29 Remington (which is actually closer in design and manufacture to the Model 37 than any of the earlier incarnations). These were all discarded for Remington's own in-house design, the Model 31. Ithaca was known prior to the Model 37 as a maker of high grade custom doubles, but due to the depression, was sinking fast. The wheels there decided that they ought to get into the repeater business and there was this Pedersen/Browning design that Remington was no longer using and the rest is history.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 3:38:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:12:19 AM EDT
[#14]

That's incorrect. For a time Ithaca offered the Model 37 DSPS with an eight-shot magazine and a barrel with the magazine stop extended further towards the muzzle to accomodate the longer magazine tube.

Obviously.  But if you are going to have to replace the mag tube *and* the barrel, you might as well just sell what you got and find the gun that came with the extended mag from the factory.  They are not common around here, but they are not that rare either.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:17:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Obviously. But if you are going to have to replace the mag tube *and* the barrel, you might as well just sell what you got and find the gun that came with the extended mag from the factory. They are not common around here, but they are not that rare either.

Don't recall saying the barrel had to be replaced, do you? It is an option. Not common around there, huh? Ever hear of MAIL ORDER or GUN LIST?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:18:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:21:58 AM EDT
[#17]

There was a guy in SGN (I think Tommy at Creekside, or LostCreek, Gun Works) that did the extended mag conversion.

It was Tommy Turnbull (Doug Turnbull's father) of Creekside Gun Shop in Bloomfield, New York. However, I would imagine that there are lots of places out there (including you, Kurt) who can do this work.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:27:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Some guys just know it all, don't they.  Hey Jim!  Let's start off your morning with a nice cup of coffee and some flames!

Stick it!

Love, Chairborne
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Some guys just know it all, don't they. Hey Jim! Let's start off your morning with a nice cup of coffee and some flames!

Stick it!

Love, Chairborne

Are you just needing a hug?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#20]
And a kiss.  Let's just take this off-board for a secret rendezvous, big guy . . .

Anyway back on topic FOR JUST A MOMENT, the 37 is a $200 gun.  A *good* $200 gun, but a $200 gun nonetheless.  So why blow maybe a couple hundred dollars on mods to an Ithaca 37 when you can just trade yours in for the version you want?  My comments earlier, which Jim takes hyper-literally, simplified so even Jim can understand, are that the extended mag version of the Ithaca 37 is not that common but if you look you will find one, and it is good to go out of the box without mods.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Anyway back on topic FOR JUST A MOMENT, the 37 is a $200 gun. A *good* $200 gun, but a $200 gun nonetheless. So why blow maybe a couple hundred dollars on mods to an Ithaca 37 when you can just trade yours in for the version you want?

Where? Just let me know where a GOOD Model 37 can be had for $200. $200 in your mind, maybe. Now back to reality.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Here's my Ithaca. It's an M-87 Featherlight with 20" barrel. I added Ashley peep sights with a tritium front dot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Vinnie, Uncle Mikes makes a set of sling swivels for the 37. That would work for a 2-point sling.

Or you could rig up a CQB type sling. The buttstock would be easy as it would basically velcro on like the 870 or 590. The forend part would be harder but I think a zip-tied or paracorded loop would work okay. It wouldn't be purty but it would be functional.

Thanks again Big Bear. I've looked all over and never seen the Uncle Mike's set for the Ithaca. Allways the Mossberg or Remmington, and when I ask at the local gunstore, the tell me to get rid of the POS and get a Remmy or Mossberg.  I think he just wants the Ithaca.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Vinnie, you can order it online. I did a quick search yesterday and came up with lots of hits.

Jim_Dandy, I paid less than $200 for the Ithaca riot gun you see in the picture, $165 to be exact. The buttstock was cracked right behind the top of the receiver, but a buddy of mine repaired it and sanded and oiled the stocks with linseed oil. Came out pretty good I think.

Nice shotgun bunghole. Wanna trade?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Jim_Dandy, I paid less than $200 for the Ithaca riot gun you see in the picture, $165 to be exact. The buttstock was cracked right behind the top of the receiver, but a buddy of mine repaired it and sanded and oiled the stocks with linseed oil. Came out pretty good I think.

I am very well aware of what a well-worn Model 37 goes for. I know this. I've only bought/sold/owned a dozen or so of these guns over the past seven years. However, Chairborne_Ranger is rather unrealistic in his assumptions. The price of a used Model 37 will run anywhere from $125 all of the way to about $450. I guess no one has thought about selling/swapping the parts that aren't wanted or used for something that better suits. I know, tough concept.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Thanks again Big Bear. I've looked all over and never seen the Uncle Mike's set for the Ithaca. Allways the Mossberg or Remmington, and when I ask at the local gunstore, the tell me to get rid of the POS and get a Remmy or Mossberg. I think he just wants the Ithaca.

Vinnie-
If you're interested, I have an Uncle Mike's sling swivel set QD 115 ITH for an Ithaca Model 37. The package has been opened for inspection, but they've never been used. I'll take $7 including shipping (Priority Mail). Email if interested.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Jim, my Model 37 is not that well-worn. It was a police trade-in so it was likely dinged from being toted in and out of a police cruiser more than it was shot. The metal internally and externally is in pretty good shape, as well as could be expected from a 36 year old parkerized scattergun. I'm sure you're aware of the problem with buttstocks cracking behind the receiver. You've probably seen that a time or two. Because the gun is so light it kicks alot and cracks the wood in that location.

BTW, if Vinnie doesn't take you up on the sling swivels, can I have 2nd dibs?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, I've seen a few with cracked stocks, but I have my doubts as to the damage being recoil induced. Yes, you can have dibs if Vinnie turns them down.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I've never seen an Ithaca go for $200, and I live IN Ithaca.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I've seen Model 37s up around $450 like Jim said, but those were minty, and/or DS police specials that sell for more since there were fewer made. The "US" marked M37s are even higher in any condition. I've seen them for $600 to $1000, and even higher than that is the LAPD commemorative Model 37, which I have seen as high as $3000.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#32]

I've never seen an Ithaca go for $200, and I live IN Ithaca.

Don't worry, Chairborne_Ranger's gonna hook us all up with his pipeline of cheap Model 37s.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Guess I should correct my earlier post. When we changed over from our 1950's era model 37's to Remington 870's last year, we sold our 37's off for around 200 bucks per copy. Talk about a steal.......
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Doh!  am I too late?  Email's in.  I hope I'm not too late.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Jim are you still rambling on?  Had a hard day, buddy?

If you want to see a sub-$200 Ithaca 37, you might try Pawn World right here in my dinky little AZ town.  I personally bought an Ithaca 37 with a bunch of ammo about five years ago for $150 and sold the gun about a year later for $180.  Maybe you better leave OK and move to AZ.  Naaaaah . . . never mind.  Just stay right where you are, several states away from me.

Tell ya what, would you buy every Ithaca 37 I can get my hands on for, say, $250?  Since you buy and sell 37s all the time, for apparently a lot more than that, you should be all over such a deal.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Stupid newbie question:  what do you guys mean by "US Marked?"
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Vinnie, there are no stupid questions here. Some Ithaca M37s were military issue during WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam. They look like the police riot guns except they're marked "US" on the receiver (and barrel too I think), and they are quite collectible.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 2:21:57 AM EDT
[#39]

Jim are you still rambling on? Had a hard day, buddy?

If you want to see a sub-$200 Ithaca 37, you might try Pawn World right here in my dinky little AZ town. I personally bought an Ithaca 37 with a bunch of ammo about five years ago for $150 and sold the gun about a year later for $180. Maybe you better leave OK and move to AZ. Naaaaah . . . never mind. Just stay right where you are, several states away from me.

Tell ya what, would you buy every Ithaca 37 I can get my hands on for, say, $250? Since you buy and sell 37s all the time, for apparently a lot more than that, you should be all over such a deal.

Okay fantasy man, I'm not talking about some worn out, tired police trade-in with the barrel bobbed back. Using your twisted analogy, I once bought a Ford pickup for $50. Granted it had no engine or transmission, but I gave $50 for a full size Ford pickup. Applying your cockeyed logic, Ford pickups are $50 vehicles. At any rate, you are not going to find a Model 37 Ithaca in good shape, with good wood, and a barrel that hasn't been messed with for your unrealistic price on a regular basis. I don't want to hear about your latest garage sale exploits either.

Still yet, if a guy wanted to add on an eight-shot magazine could he not SELL his existing barrel and BUY a barrel that better suits him? Never made it over to the equipment exchange, huh? How much is a new magazine tube and spring, $30?
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 5:44:09 AM EDT
[#40]

could he not SELL his existing barrel . . .

Morning Jim.  I see the dawn of a new day has left you still with a big mouth and no brain.  Big market for those old Ithaca 37 barrels in OK I guess?  Well as far as I know they command about the market value of Enron stock.  

Sounds like after considering my generous proposal you are unwilling to put your money where your mouth is.  Not surprising, and for once you are doing the smart thing.

At least now I know that since you obviously have access to a computer today you aren't a certain Nigerian law student.  I wondered about that yesterday.

Have a nice day . . .
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Since we have Kurt popping in on this thread, why don't we ask him if he can play with the barrel to increase capacity.

Kurt, can you re do a barrel/magazine tube to hold more than 4 shells?

and Thanks again Big Bear. Mine just has little anvils with the letter "P" in them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Gee, if these things are as cheap as you say, then he could just keep his existing barrel and buy another barrel for less than a dollar, right? That's about the price of one share of Enron as I recall.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#43]
I found some more info on the Ithaca Model 37 riot/trench guns on oldguns.net...

Question:
I understand the Ithaca Mod 37 was used by US forces in WW2. I am curious if the old model 37 I have might be one of them, or how I might be able to find out if it is.

Answer:
Troy, when the Ithaca Model 37 was standardized on August 7, 1941, it was envisioned that the company would turn out large numbers of the weapons in the event of war. After Pearl Harbor, Ithaca was given several contracts for the production of military shotguns, but after the delivery of 12,433 shotguns, it was decided that Ithaca should concentrate on increasing its production of the M1911A1 .45 pistol and the production of shotguns was halted. Ithaca delivered three types of model 37 shotguns to the military during WWII, trench guns, riot guns and training guns.

Ithaca Model 37 trench guns manufactured under government contract during WWII were fitted with ventilated metal handguard/bayonet adapter assemblies. The Ithaca handguard had six rows of ventilation holes. The WWII Model 37 Ithaca trench gun was finished in commercial grade blue, including the handguard/adapter assembly and had standard sling swivels. The stock was plain and unadorned and was not stamped with an inspector's cartouche. The forend had parallel grasping grooves. The only martial markings observed on the trench guns were "RLB" stamped on the left side of the receiver next to a small Ordnance Department flaming bomb and a small "p" proof mark on the left side of the barrel. The "RLB" initials were those of inspector Lt. Col. Roy L. Bowlin, Chief of the Rochester Ordnance District. Observed trench gun serial numbers range from: #61038 to #61856. All known original WWII Model 37 trench guns have the "RLB" marking on the left side of the receiver.

Ithaca delivered a number of riot gun versions of its Model 37 to the government during WWII. Most of the WWII M37 riot guns were converted from commercial shotguns and will have such features as checkered wood and finely blued metal. Riot gun martial markings varied somewhat and many of the early riot guns did not have the "RLB" marking found on the M37 trench guns. A few of the later riot guns were essentially identical to the WWII Model 37 trench guns except for the ventilated metal handguard/bayonet adapter and sling swivels. Some Model 37 riot guns underwent arsenal rebuilding during and after WWII. There were large numbers of Ithaca Model37 riot guns manufactured after the Second World War. Most of them were for police and civilian use but some were made under government contract for use in Vietnam.

There were a number of skeet/trap type Model 37 shotguns delivered during WWII for training purposes. Some of these guns were standard civilian production guns with no modifications except government ownership markings. Training shot gun barrel lengths were 28" and 30". John tells me that most serial numbers of the examples of these that he has seen are in the 51,000 range. There is a "U.S." under the "R.L.B./ordnance bomb" on some of these.

If your Model 37 does not have any government markings it is unlikely that it is US Military issue... Marc
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Jim, do you remember back in English class, you might have learned the word "hyperbole?"  Perhaps that word came along after you dropped out (somewhere in the seventh grade).  You might look it up in a "dictionary," which is a volume listing words in alphabetical order and offering their pronunciations and definitions.

To the rest of you looking to this thread for serious information, I apologize for cluttering it up between myself and Jim, but hey we're just havin' a bit of fun.    And I agree that any decent "U.S." marked Ithaca 37 is worth a *lot* more than $200 and would be something I'd like in my collection.  Ithacas are good guns if you can find the one you want, they just aren't worth tying a bunch of money up in mods.  Get a Benelli!  Or an 870!

Right, Jim?
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Don't distort the truth. My dad and I graduated from the EIGHTH GRADE TOGETHER. Please try and keep your facts straight. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Jeez guys, either take it outside and get it over with, or sit down, shut up, and have a beer. I'll buy the first round.

BARMAID!!! OVER HERE HONEY!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Only "down fall" on the 37 is the feed ramps.  I have seen two that have blown up. The barrel is not the problem, the feed lips are the problem.  

Both have released a round from the mag(tube) and sprung the round(primer) directly into the feed lip/forked end.  The round fired and blew the tube and the rounds still in the tube.  On one only a single round went off. On the other, it started a chain reation with the rounds in front of the firing round.  Both rifles were toasted.

If you get a used one, Check the feed lips and the shell release spring.  If either one is worn or bent replaces them before shooting the shotgun.  If you can find a replacement feed, with out the forked ends, Do so as soon as possible!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Both rifles were toasted.

We're talking about shotguns. Even so, I find your scenario highly improbable and suspect. The design has only been kicking around for ninety-some-odd years. Not happening.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Umm, I have an Ithaca side by side, 12 guage, choked mod/full, with double triggers? Pretty light, kicks the crap out of me with heavy field loads.....
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#50]
An actual Ithaca produced double, like an NID, Flues, Crass, etc., or a jap SKB?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top