Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2002 2:48:28 PM EDT
I finally got my 9mm Oly upper yesterday, and after firing it, I have a question or 2.  Would a muzzle brake help on the recoil, and do you have a problem hot gases blowing back in your face from the ejection port?  I got hit with these gases several times, and it is most frustrating.  I shot a Colt years ago and do not remember this problem.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I finally got my 9mm Oly upper yesterday, and after firing it, I have a question or 2.  Would a muzzle brake help on the recoil, and do you have a problem hot gases blowing back in your face from the ejection port?  I got hit with these gases several times, and it is most frustrating.  I shot a Colt years ago and do not remember this problem.

Recoil??? You're kidding, right?

Try the 9mm buffer. It may help hold the action closed a little longer, letting the pressure drop off some more.
It's an unlocked breach straight blowback action.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Recoil was probably not the right word.  I am currently using a standard metal buffer, how much different would a 9mm buffer be?  It just seems like there is more "recoil" than there should be.  I was expecting little to nothing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Recoil was probably not the right word.  I am currently using a standard metal buffer, how much different would a 9mm buffer be?  It just seems like there is more "recoil" than there should be.  I was expecting little to nothing.

Well the action is unlocked, not like the .223 upper, which hold the action closed longer.
The 9mm bolt is much heavier too. All this slams into the back of the buffer tube.

Remember Mr. Newton.
Actually, if it stayed locked up like a bolt action it would probably feel almost like a .22  
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Never had the gas problem with my colt and i'm left handed---on the brake issue i put a Smith on mine and my aimpoint does not move---i did take it off here lately since all i shoot is lead and lead reloads will lead the shit out of the comp....good thing however is you can get it out with a 1/4 and 1/8 inch drill bits.....Dick
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#5]
That's funny - I was just saying the same thing on another thread.

I have the Oly 9mm upper with the setscrew comp.  I am also a lefty.  I am also getting hit in the face with hot gasses, GP, or something.  Recoil doesn't really bother me, though.

I was wondering about the oversized Colt deflector plates I have seen on Colt 9mm uppers.  Can you purchase them separate and attach them to an Oly upper?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Today I ordered the Colt gas deflector and smaller sized ejection port cover.

They can be found here: www.sawlesales.com

The parts you will need are as follows:

SP62854   $12.00
SP62851   $12.00
SP62769A  $2.00

Look at the parts diagram and you will see how they fit on and what you are buying.

The Colt rifles already have these.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow! Thanks for the specific info, Macloud.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I once owned a Colt 9mm CAR.  I did not experience the problems that you are having.  Watch-Six
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top