Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2002 12:17:15 PM EDT
I had an "loaded" M1A but I traded it to help get my ARs (10A2&M4). Well now I want to get one again and I want as many G.I. parts that I can get except maybe the barrel. Here are my questions:
1. Where to get a M14 parts kit?
2. How much will a "good" to "excellent" kit cost?
3. How availible are these kits?
I also need some advice on the rec to get, I don't want a cast rec. Also, I may want to turn this into a M21 later on down the road so is a double lugged rec worth the extra $? How much accuracy does the luggs add to the rifle? Thanks for your replies!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Original "GI" parts for the M14 are hard to get (and expensive).  www.fultonarmory.com is a great source for M14/M1A guns and parts (and accessories).  I'm not aware of a complete rebuild kit, though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#2]
go to www.gunandknife.com

The m14 site is very active and they have answered many of my questions about my m21.

As far as forged recievers go, you could do three things:

1. Buy a transferrable machine gun.
2. Wait for one of the new ones from MKS to become available.
3. Find a chinese reciever.

Keep in mind that the MKS re-welds are no longer legal (currently under court review) and you will find that a lot of the current discussions on the m14 forum under the site I gave you will be on the very recent confiscation of the MKS re-welds as well as the new MKS forged recievers that are just now coming out.

I was told that the lugged recievers (the m21 is single lugged) do not necessarily aid in precision but just help in preserving the bedding of the rifle. These rifles are not to be dissasembled. The experts and the factory have all told me the only time the m21 is to be dissassembled is when something breaks, after many thousands of rounds after a year of competition, or when you go swimming with the rifle.

Karl
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll echo Karl's suggestions on the gun&knife boards and his listing of forged receivers. You may also want to check out the CSP pages also.  Visit the various auction boards for M14 parts kit, even e-bay has a few from time to time.  Better bet is to get all the parts you can from the CMP and buy the other parts from the Fulton Armory, Chestnut Ridge, Armscorp or gun shows.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Swear I'm not trolling:

But, would the re-weld be as strong as even an investment cast receiver, like with the Springfields?  I know forging is stronger than casting, but is any strength lost due to the cut and then re-weld?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]
www.usarmory.com/default.asp go to the M-14 parts and accessories in the catalog. Scroll down to the parts kits. They have them with or without barrels. Get yourself a Chinese receiver and you'll have the best standard M-14 semi auto available.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:39:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys...Here is two more questions.What are he most important G.I. parts to have besides the rec and op rod? What is the life expectancy of G.I. parts vs non?
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 5:42:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Op rod spring, trigger group, sights, bolt and gas system. Not necessarily the op rod since the Chinese op rods are by some experts rated to be as good as U.S.G.I., some have also said that the trigger groups are nearly as good as well although the hammers can be softer but still serviceable. It's really hard to compare life expectancy. Some cast parts can be very high quality(Springfield Armory Inc. receivers). Some can be total junk(the old cast Springfield Armory Inc. bolts). With U.S.G.I. parts there is no doubt about the quality or origin of the parts. A cast part made to the proper dimensions and geometry that has been properly hardened(when necessary) should have nearly the same life expectancy as a comparable forged part. It is still arguable that cast parts are more prone to failure because of the inherant weaknesses of castings as opposed to forgings. An important difference is that U.S.G.I. parts hold their value and instill consumer confidence.

(Is anyone ever going to fix the spell check!?!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top