Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 4:57:27 PM EDT
Picked up a walther ppk the other day and once again fell in love (with the way it felt).  Yes, I know the cons with a .380, and this would be the first in this caliber (have a kimber ultra that I carry). Just thought this would be a nice addition to have around.  Anyone here own one?  If yes, what are you're opinons, and if you carry it regularly, what kind of holster do you use?  Thks  
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve shot quite a few over the years.  Reliability is pretty good but not perfect.  Some PPK’s (or PPK/S’s) seem to be much more reliable than others.

As a group, they seem to be remarkably accurate.

Since they’re a straight blowback, recoil is a bit snappy.  If you’ve got a really large hand, the slide may bite you as it recoils.

If you like it, get it!  You can always sell it if you change your mind later.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Careful!  They bite and leave railroad tracks!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes..I had one.  Wonderfully accurate for a small pistol.  I got rid of it after a day at the range...left a blood trail from the firing line to the car door!!  The one pistol I never regretted getting selling!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Careful!  They bite and leave railroad tracks!

yeah but i still want one every time i play with one i start humming the james bond theme.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've got several that I own and two that I carry somewhat frequently. My first carry gun was a PPK/S and after eleven years of carry and many thousands of rounds is still dead on perfect. I now have an American mfg. PPK s/s that I carry when I need a smaller, better hidden pistol than a USPC or P229. Between my father and I we've been collecting these (Walthers) for almost forty years and I have yet to find one I wouldn't trust my life to, TPH and Mdls. 8 & 9 included!

So in your experience the 22LR Walthers are reliable? I almost got on once, then decided not to.

edited to add that I already have a PPK/S and like it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
ECS,  FWIW, I've had a .22 model PP I bought new in about 1980. It's had a few thousand rounds thru it. Besides a broken firing pin (from being a stupid and dry-firing) and a lot of wear, I would venture to say that 99.9% of the few misfires were due to shooting up old ammo.
It came with a test target of a 1" group supposedly shot at 25 yrds. My eyes won't let me do that, but it will shoot as small as you can hold. For me, it's a keeper.      Stay safe
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't own a PPK or PPK/S but I have fired them and I do own a Sig P-232, which is very close in design and function.  Everything said so far is essentially correct.  They are very accurate, surprisingly snappy for a .380 and easy to hide.

I carry mine in the small of my back in a Bianchi 100 Professional.  That is a small, inside the waistband leather rig that protects well but is easily accessable.  It does not have a snap, so you must be always aware of that fact.  Mine is virtually invisible.

I use Corbon self defense loads in mine.

You can find the holster on the Bianchi site.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
... I carry mine in the small of my back in a Bianchi 100 Professional.  ...

LWilde:  I’d certainly never try to tell someone how to carry a firearm.  However, you need to be careful about carrying one in the small of your back.  If you fall on your back or wind up rolling on your back during a fight, you can really hurt yourself.

A friend of mine used to wear his handcuffs in the small of his back.  Once, while driving a car, he was rear-ended.  The handcuffs were driven into his spine.

Again, not trying to tell you what to do, just something to think about.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry primarily a SIG P220 (in .38 Super cause I always wanted one) but do also have a PP in .32 with a Galco holster.

Yes the little suckers do bite.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#12]
The Walther PP, PPK, & PPK/S all cut the knuckle on the thmb of my firing hand when I shoot them. Women and others with petite hands will not have this problem.

The main problem with the PP series as a CCW gun is if you carry the pistol with a round chambered and the safety off (which is how 99% of Double action autos are carried) the pistol will fire if dropped on the hammer or the hammer is struck by a firm object.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I also own the Sig P232.  I’m not sure if the Walther is built entirely the same but, hear me out here with the details that I find to drive me to disliking the gun.

The trigger is very heavy and creepy to begin and the travel is excessive.

Either the fulcrum of the trigger is to far ahead, or the release point of the trigger is too late. By the time the trigger is about to release (fire), the tangent to the arc of the trigger (white line) is way off from the vector force of your trigger finger (red line). Also, the center of the arc of the trigger is much higher than when the trigger is in a rest position (left blue dot in relation to right blue dot). You can actually feel the trigger lifting your trigger finger up as you fire.  This pic does not provide the best example because the rest position of the trigger is even farther left when the slide is not locked back.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top