Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 12:48:25 PM EDT
I am interested in applying for an FFL License,

I have the paper work in hand need a couple of questions  answered here goes:

First if I apply for one here in NC can I use it else where, ie California, Nevada etc...

Next I want to mainly deal from my home, starting with lower recievers and eventually moving up from there.  Is that legal?  Where do I check?

Is it better for me to work at a gun store vice my home?

How many guns a year do I have to sell to keep my license?

Will I lose it if I only sell ten or less?

This is just going to be strictly a side thing.  I don't expect to pay the bills, I just want to give good deals and make a little bit of money out of my hobby.  

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Max
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I am on the same venture right below you.  

Good luck. From what I understand, the gubment is cracking down oh "home business" FFL's.  

My packet should be in the mail today.  

Good luck and keep me posted on success.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I am interested in applying for an FFL License,

First evaluate if you can afford a license to shop?

I have the paper work in hand need a couple of questions answered here goes:

First if I apply for one here in NC can I use it else where, ie California, Nevada etc...

With an FFL you can purchase firearms anywhere in the USA. You may only sell from your place of license or a bonified gun show in your state of license. If you intend to sell out of state directly you will need more than one licence in any state you intend to do business in.

Next I want to mainly deal from my home, starting with lower recievers and eventually moving up from there. Is that legal? Where do I check?

As long as your local zoning laws allow home based businesses then you are ok. All sales must be conducted from your licensed address or an in state gun show. You can store your inventory at home but must have a licensed address to receive and sell guns from if your home will not qualify due to zoning laws.

Is it better for me to work at a gun store vice my home?

Obviously it will generate more traffic if you actually had a store front than home based but just depends upon what you are looking for. If you have 1/2 million for inventory and an actual gun shop then go for it. Profit margins in guns are pretty low so expensive overhead will eat up the margins quickly.

How many guns a year do I have to sell to keep my license?

No minimum or maximum guns sold/bought requirement. You must be able to show you are doing this as an actual business not just building a personal collection.

Will I lose it if I only sell ten or less?

No you will not loose you license as long as it does not appear you are collecting. Buy 10,000 guns and sell 5 probably won't cut it.

This is just going to be strictly a side thing. I don't expect to pay the bills, I just want to give good deals and make a little bit of money out of my hobby.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Once again decide if you can afford a license to shop. Also this will spoil gun shows for you. Now you will find that all those good deals you got over the years was actually a good screwing in disguise. Plus you won't buy anything at a gun show cause you can pay less and have it shipped right to your house for less money.

Max
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Someone told me a new application is lots more that the $90 renewal fee.
Is it?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#4]
First time FFL01 is $200 for 3 yrs then $90 for 3 yr renewal.

First time FFL07 is $150 for 3 yrs then $150 for 3 yr renewal.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top