BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 9:18:37 AM EDT
I'm thinking of buying my first 1911 and can't decide if I should get a
Kimber or Springfield Armory. I'm leaning toward the Kimber but wanted to see
what everyone else thought.

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Tough call because they are both good. I have one full size stainless Springfield and never had any problems with it.

I do like the melted down edges on the Kimber carry models, I guess the grass always looks greener elsewhere...
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm thinking of buying my first 1911 and can't decide if I should get a Kimber or Springfield Armory.

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to "customize" it to **your** specs instead of the factory's, ala` Kimber, get a SA basic govt model. Then you can put on whatever you want. If you want a "ready to go out of the box" gun, get the Kimber.
SA is the ONLY mfgr of 1911s that still uses a two-piece barrel. Everyone else uses a one-piece. Brownells sells SA barrels for $65 or so while the good ones go for twice that. That tells me something.
Kimber makes the frames for Wilson Combat 1911s, that also tells me something.
For the record, I own a SA but I've had the barrel, sights & trigger replaced to MY specs. I have about $650-700 invested in it, about what a Kimber would cost. But mine doesn't look nor shoot like a gazillion other 1911s. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 Kimbers. One is a Pro Carry STS and the other is an Ultra Carry II. The Pro Carry is awesome but the Ultra Carry II is giving me some problems. IMHO it is related to the serires II firing pin block. But, you can read about it yourself so you can make an informed decision.
www.1911forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=27
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd recommend you try before you buy.  Rent both & shoot em & see which feels better.

My preference is for the Kimber.  Be advised of the extra firing pin safety parts (Series II) as *some* people have had problems with theirs while others have not.

The Classic series does not have the safety II parts & is a real tack driver.

I've also shot the new Eclipse without ANY problems & it HAS the series II safety built into it.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Kimber brand...the ones I have used have worked flawlessly with factory ammunition.  Now reloads...some do jam but that is because of the reload, not the firearm.

www.kimberamerica.com

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top