Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2002 6:44:10 AM EDT
the most hideous firearm around!  
I know, I know, when choosing a firearm, its
looks are not top priority, but its in the list.
I fully admit I am totally ignorant of the functional attributes of these rifles. Many people are a little too comfortable with their ignorance; I am not. So, please educate me: what is so great about these guns and why do they cost so much? OK, go ahead...  
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:58:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate them too (because I'm a lefty and can't shoot one!).
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Aug can be used either right or left handed it depends on the bolt installed. It can be changed to suit the shooter.

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I personally like the cosmetics of them. I just always talk myself out of one when I think of how many guns I can purchase for the price of one AUG or USR.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#4]
On looks alone I much prefer the AUG over the FAMAS or even the Enfield.

The AUG has been around for, what?, almost 20 years and still looks futuristic.

The FAMAS was introduced in the mid-to-late '70's. And is still fugly. But what else would you expect from the frogs?

The Enfield has nothing going for it. Looks or performance.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#5]
It's just you...

I love how they look, but hey what ever floats your boat.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So, please educate me: what is so great about these guns and why do they cost so much? OK, go ahead...  

They're accurate, function well and are "relatively" scarce.
The previous drives the price as does, for lack of a better word - "snob" appeal.

(Alright so you have every model "AR" ever made by every manufacturer but do you have a_______?)

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I think they are ridiculasly overpriced and anyone who pays that much for a semi auto gun just has too much money on their hands.

Also I believe that you need to buy a kit (at $300) to be able to put regular ar mags in them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#8]
You can't buy a kit, the AR15 magazine conversion is not a retrofit kit, but a complete stock unit.  only a few was imported, so if you can find one, it will command hideous sum.  

I personally love my AUG, how ever you look at it, if it is notin demand(People liking it) then it would not command the price it is asking today.  I had my receiver converted to the A2 config, and being there is only 100 pre ban A2 in country, I have seen price range of 6000 for a semi green stock gun.  I figure it is one of the best investment I ever bought.  and I can take it out have lots of fun with it, unlike a IPO, it is just paper.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I Like Mine But I like my M4gery better

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#10]
KEWL....but

Overrated and overpriced.  I can build 2.5 preban AR's for 1 AUG (at $2,500 - and parts are readily available)
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#11]
you can thank bush sr for the hight price of the aug f*cking import ban
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I think there nice but will not pay for the price there asking for. now if you were the luckyone's to buy one when you had a chance(Before the ban) and could make money on it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I think they are drop-dead sexy, and would consider trading my wife for one!! (looking cautiously over my shoulder)

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Why doesn't somebody consider making a clone in the U.S.?  If it could be made for $1500, which I beleive is the law enforcement price for the import, it might actually be a good deal.  Is liscensing an issue?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Is StyerAUG still a regular on these forums?  Or is he off flying for the gov't?  He might have an idea about the licensing requirements.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Man those things are freaken ugly!

Ya, I know it's a bullpup and all. And you can get the higher velocity out of a carbine and all. But....

It's ugly!

And on top of that, I think that's a terrible place for the magazine. Doesn't seem real friendly for quick mag changes under stress if you ask me.

For the price you can own at least two preban AR's. I think that says it all right there.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Number one!

One of the best weapons ever made and well worth the price.

The full auto varity is god sent.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Not ugly. Funtionally I don't like any bullpup that would not be able to shoot either handed without a rebuild.

How can you possibly use proper cover technigues when you would have to expose yourself when shooting around wrong side cover?

They function well and the full auto trigger pack just slips in the rear.

The reason they are expensive is because demand exceeds supply.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I hate them, simply because I cannot aford to buy one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Is StyerAUG still a regular on these forums?  Or is he off flying for the gov't?  He might have an idea about the licensing requirements.

He went and got himself banned.  Somthing about Babe of the day threads, and cussing out Moderators.  Look it up if you want more info.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He went and got himself banned.  Somthing about Babe of the day threads, and cussing out Moderators.  Look it up if you want more info.

He got banned temporarily.  He is no longer banned, from what I understand, but he mostly hangs out at www.full-auto.com these days.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#22]
They were pretty cool back in the 1980's when they were about $600  !
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't have the joy of owning one but I have a Sarge that owns every firearm under the sun and has got an '81 Select Fire.... That baby is fun to bangaway on.

I can't wait til somebody starts making the Tavor so I can pick me up a good bullpup
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gee, why doesn't this surprise me?  I had been away for about 6 months and was wondering where he and some of the others that use to post here alot where.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#25]
i would take an famas if it was class 3. they have a fire rate of 950 rds per minute. one of the fastest in the world. but if it was semi auto then i wouldn't pay 2 cents for one. as for the augs. they look cool and i like the integral scope but the price is way too unreasonable.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Best looking rifle ever produced, IMO.  I passed on one for $1200 around 1991 because I didn't think I could afford it.  I kick myself DAILY even now.  Stupid BlammO!  Stupid STUPID BlammO!!!  [>Q]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Functional and/or necessary?  Probably not.  1 Aug mag=4 brand new AR mags.  I don't know if they are dissasemble "friendly" (could me like the MP5....a bitch to operate on), but I still want one, I want one bad.  Oh damn, I'm in MD. Nevermind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top