Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2002 5:23:36 AM EDT
I see demilled Sten kits at gun shows all the time.  Looks like the receivers are cut.  I also see parts kits where you can make your own Sten receivers.  How in the hell does this work?  Do you have to go through BATF?  Is it legit?  How much are the fees to do it, just the $200 tax stamp?  

Also, what is a good price on a M-11 Semi Auto Carbine?  I think I found a good deal on one, but I can't find any CM-11's for sale anywhere.  I was also looking at a Maadi Griffen 50 cal to add to my collection.  I know Maadi went out of business, but are they decent 50's?
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I see demilled Sten kits at gun shows all the time.  Looks like the receivers are cut.  I also see parts kits where you can make your own Sten receivers.  How in the hell does this work?  Do you have to go through BATF?  Is it legit?  How much are the fees to do it, just the $200 tax stamp?  

Making your own Sten receiver is illegal unless you are a class II manufacturer. You can still buy registered Sten tubes that haven't been assembled. You could buy the tube, pay the $200 transfer tax and then use it to build up a Sten kit.

(snipped question about CM11 & .50 cal)
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Monel_Funkawitz,  The idea behind the sten kit is to produce a semi-auto closed bolt gun, called a Sterling.

5/18/86 was the last day that you could have registered your "new built" gun(home made receiver), with the BATF.

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, if I get a kit, receiver tube blank, make my own receiver for personal use, it applies under the 80% receiver rule, thus I don't have to register it with ATF, right?  All personal use rules apply (No resale, etc), making it a legal semi-auto, removeable mag, welded stock gun, right?
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Just be very very carefull about this guys!!

If you have a kit.....

And a tube.....

The BATF says you have a FA STEN!!!

No matter what condition the tube in in!! EVEN IF ITS 0%
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Catco has fully finished semi-auto reciever and parts kits to use with your auto parts kits to make a legal semi-auto. You have to go through a FFL to order the kit since it is a complete reciever.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I think you have to have a smaller diameter tubing so a FA bolt will not just slide in! but
iam not for shure it is true if you have a tube
and a parts kit you have a Simi-automatic machinegun<-(joke guys).
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess technically then I have four unregistered machineguns. I've got four Sten kits and enough tubing in the exhaust on the cars in my driveway to put together another 20 kits or so at least.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#8]
The stupid part about building the semi sten is having to put on some sort of barrel extention to bring it up to "16.

God I hate some of these gun laws!?!

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The stupid part about building the semi sten is having to put on some sort of barrel extention to bring it up to "16.

God I hate some of these gun laws!?!

Yep, thats why quite a few of them that were built up as semis in years past are missing the stock. Without the stock they are just handguns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top