Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2002 12:22:32 PM EDT
Just wondered what the cleaning times were with the people on this board.  As for myself, if I've shot more than 20 rounds it takes nearly 2.5 hrs.  I'm picky though.  Everything has to be spotless.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean you're supposed to clean them?
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on how much time I have.  For most shooting days, I'll just run the boresnake through about 5 times and wipe down the rest of the rifle with a silicon rag.  The bolt carrier group gets a douse of CLP and then wiped down.  

Every 1000 rounds or so I do a detail clean and go through it with a nylon brush.

My M40A3 on the other hand gets a detail clean every 30 - 40 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#3]
mine clean pretty fast.  i use gunscrubber on the bolt/carrier and then spray it down with rem oil. done.  then i run hoppes thru the barrel a few times til clean and run a couple dry ones.  i take a couple swipes on the inside of the upper and that's it.  takes me longer to clean the ak.  my cleaning is not as involved as some people use but i havn't had a problem with any of my guns except a 22mag that i didn't clean.  no rust, no jams, no problems.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#4]
20 minutes

boresnake, CLP, chamber brush, Qtips, clean rag

i follow the -10 manual except for the boresnake.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]
2 1/2 hours?  I take as little as 20 minutes as long as 45 depending on what I'm watching on TV.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Right after the range:  About 45 Minutes
Day One:  Dry Patch, Wet Patch
Day Two:  Dry Patch, Wet Patch
Day Three:  Dry patch, bore treatment
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#7]
what vinnie said it depends on what is on the tube when im cleaning.

but most likely around 30 min or so

cleaning the barrel and upper is easy its getting the tar out of the bolt and chamber thats a pain
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on how dirty it is but 20 min. to 2 hours.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I like watching tv while cleaning my ar15 heck
could take all day if there's alot of good show's on.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#10]
The reality is that if I only put 20rnds thru it then I don't clean it!  But than again, rarely do I put only 20 rnds thru any rifle when I am at the range.

Usually I am done in 30 minutes per firearm.  It would be faster but I always get excited half way thru and have to releave myself

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
2 1/2 hours?  I take as little as 20 minutes as long as 45 depending on what I'm watching on TV.

BINGO!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Around an hour or so.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I like watching tv while cleaning my ar15 heck
could take all day if there's alot of good show's on.

Ditto.  If History Channel is having a good run, my AR's get restored rather than cleaned.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#14]
OK I was warped at a young age by the US Army and have to catch myself when cleaning my AR.  There are times that if I'm not paying attention I obsess over each little scrap of carbon or powder that I can find.  

I'm recovering nicely thoughand have it down to between 30 minutes and 1-2 hours - depending like others on what's on the tube at the time.

Call me crazy - I just think it's kind of fun to sit there with gun parts lying around and cleaning 'em just taking my time and enjoying a nice brew alongside.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#15]
For a quick cleaning after shooting less than 200 rounds it takes about 20-25 minutes.  For a detailed cleaning after shooting 500 rounds or more it takes 45 minutes.  Every 1,500 rounds or so I give it a real good cleaning and that takes about 60 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#16]
... three words

Cheap Brake Cleaner
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine get the same thorough cleaning whether they've had 20, 200, or 1000 rounds through them...

Everything gets scrubbed, scraped, wiped, swabbed etc...

Goes back together spotless & swimming in CLP...

Usually takes a good hour or so...
Gets done the same day they get dirty...

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Mine get the same thorough cleaning whether they've had 20, 200, or 1000 rounds through them...

Everything gets scrubbed, scraped, wiped, swabbed etc...

Goes back together spotless & swimming in CLP...

Usually takes a good hour or so...
Gets done the same day they get dirty...

... I admire your discipline Dragracer_Art. Dad, (ex-Marine) taught all five of his sons to do this. Four of the five do. I don't know if I'm lazy or what, it just seems to me that I've never experienced a malf because of a fouled weapon.
I know when my weapon needs cleaning and thats when it gets done.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 12:31:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Since I once had my intelligence questioned on THIS board for being somewhat meticulous about cleaning my rifle, I ain't gonna say that I spend up to 1 1/2 hrs. And for any of you arrogant know-it-alls who say that cleaning a rifle the way I was taught in the Army is bad: UP YOURS. It worked then, and guess what? It still does.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#20]
For a quick clean it takes me about 10 -15 minutes. I usually run a bore snake through, wipe out the inside of the upper with an oiley cloth and clean/relube the inside of the bolt carrier.  If I have AIT flashbacks I might spend a couple of hours with pipe cleaners and cotton swabs.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#21]
It takes me about an hour. I don't clean mine till they have at least 200 rounds since the last cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
20 minutes

boresnake, CLP, chamber brush, Qtips, clean rag

i follow the -10 manual except for the boresnake.

I have never used a chamber brush on my Bushmasters.  I have used them on my M1A.  Where can I find a good chamber brush for the AR?

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Gun_Nut, give Brownells a try...

www.brownells.com

AR-15 Mil Spec Chamber Brushes  Stock Number 084-116-015
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#24]
chamber brushes are everywhere.  try Bushy, ArmaLite, DPMS, gun shows, between the cushions of your sofa, .... <g>

should be part of your AR cleaning kit and regimen.

if you clean regularly and don't shoot too much, you can probably get away with some Q'tips and a lot of CLP in this area (chamber lugs/recess).  not recommended.

oh yeah, i always clean my rifles before the sun sets.  ALWAYS.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I run my bore snake though it every time I finish shooting, afer 500-600 rds I clean it.  It takes about 15 min.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't tell Janet Reno but sometimes I cheat and don't remove the handguards. I also cheat by cleaning the bolt, but not completely taking it apart. I'll completely disassemble it after several trips to the range.

I usually don't run more than 100 rounds at a session so my cleanup is quick, about 20 mins.

I follow the procedure in the TM, using CLP, except for the aforementioned cheating.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Depends on how much time I have.  For most shooting days, I'll just run the boresnake through about 5 times and wipe down the rest of the rifle with a silicon rag.  The bolt carrier group gets a douse of CLP and then wiped down.  

Every 1000 rounds or so I do a detail clean and go through it with a nylon brush.

My M40A3 on the other hand gets a detail clean every 30 - 40 rounds.

I'm about hte same. Detail clean usually every 500-750 rounds and it takes a good 2 hours. Just a bore-snake after every 1 (sometimes 2) range sessions.

My bolt gun gets cleaned after EVERY range session.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Old army type. Complete cleaning usually every time I shoot, 45 minutes.

I put a wet swab of Hoppes Coper solvent in it and put it away. The next time I shoot I put a clean patch through it and out comes the copper.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes.  I use Ed's Red to clean everything I can reach.  I pull apart the bolt assembly and examine the condition of the firing pin each time.  

I put a drop of CLP on each plunger/spring assembly and on the fire control components. I relube the bolt lugs and other bearing surfaces with teflon grease.  CLP tends to sling all over when shooting, unless it's been sitting long enough for most of the oil to evaporate.

I generally use Sweet's in the barrel to keep copper fouling down.  It works better than anything else I've used so far.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Reprogramed Army type here.  Since its my rifle and not the taxpayer's, I take better care of it and don't "love it to death".

Detail cleaning every 1000-1500 rounds.  Really.
I scrub the bore every 250-500 rounds, just Kroil, Hoppes and JB.

Last night I did a detail cleaning.  Took me 1:15:xx.  I did a complete clean, including removal of the flash suppressor.  I know its not recommended but its easier to clean w/o damage.

The  carrier was stripped and a fresh coat of dry moly applied to the rails.  Minimal lube on the cam pin and nothing else.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Every time I shoot the AR, I give it a good general cleaning.

After disassembly, I spray all the bolt carrier and bolt parts with Powder Blast and scrub with a brush with some CLP on it, then set it aside to soak.

I clean the receiver end of the bore with the AR bore brush, lint free rags, (Old skivvie shirts work well.) and tooth brush and q-tips.

I run a patch wetted with military or Hoppe's bore cleaner through the bore, followed by the bore brush several times to loosen up the crap.  Then I swab the bore out with clean patches until it is fairly clean (light gray).  I then wet a patch with CLP (Don't forget to shake it first!) and run that wet patch through the bore a few times to wet it up.  Then it's back to the dry patches until they come out clean.

I clean out the lower with rags and q-tips, especially in and around the trigger area.

I disassemble the bolt carrier, inspect all the parts and clean all the internals, being careful to re-align the sealing rings 120 degs out of phase before reassembly.  Then I use the AR-15 bolt scraper tool to clean the carbon buildup in the inner part of the bolt carrier.

I reassemble the bolt carrier and lube it up generously with CLP, especially the lube holes.  I have recently been told by a Marine major (retired) and a couple of soldiers that keeping the AR bolt carrier and internals slurpy with CLP is now the accepted practice.  We didn't do that in the '70s but I do it now.  Bad part is that the rifle sprays CLP all over me for the first few rounds.  (On the other hand, I seriously doubt the boys in Afghanistan are keeping their weapons very wet.  I see them brushing the dust out all the time.  Lots of CLP might be counter-productive to good cleanliness.)

I scrub out the copper residue from the muzzle break holes with Hoppes and a brush.

I check all the mags I used and may have dropped in the dirt then clean them as required.  About once a year they all get disassembled and thoroughly cleaned.

I clean the Trijicon gunsight with the applicator provided.

Total time approx. 1.5 hours (Annual mag cleaning not included.)

About every 2000 rds, I thoroughly clean the bore with JB's cream, then follow that up with the standard procedure above.  That is a pain in the butt but it does scrub a bunch of goop out of the bore...especially after I've been using some of that sooty SA ammo.  This adds about another 1/2 hour.

Is this too much cleaning?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Bore Snakes.  

I love these things, and use them in all calibers.  I am just now getting to the point that a couple of them are kinda nasty looking though.

I hear that you can just throw these things in the washing machine.   Who has done this, or used another method of washing them out to get a longer sevice life from them?  

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Bore Snakes.  

I love these things, and use them in all calibers.  I am just now getting to the point that a couple of them are kinda nasty looking though.

I hear that you can just throw these things in the washing machine.   Who has done this, or used another method of washing them out to get a longer sevice life from them?  

I think you can wash them...but I'm chicken to try.  If the wife ever caught me washing something like that in her Kenmore...I'm toast.

Wonder if it would mess it up?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top