Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2002 7:16:16 PM EDT
Hi all

I have a "Browning BDA" marked P-220, in .45ACP.
These had the european style, heel type mag release.
I would like to purchase a couple of extra mags. The Pro-Mag's look good ($!), but I need to know if they use a metal floorplate with a removable plastic base pad. Or if that big piece of plastic IS the floorplate.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#1]
For what it's worth:

I have a original Interams Sig 220 (which is same as yours with heel clip release) and a newer Sig 220 (Exeter made side release frame. The "Sig" mags work in both, however the older heel release hold the magazines about 1/8th inch lower than the newer style.

This makes the mag also sit lower in the frame thusly, with less of the bullet available for the slide to contact as it rides forwards to load a round into the chamber. Although it rides lower, I have never had an issue with feeding any kind of bullet in either pistol.

I will also add that I have changed out the locking insert and barrel in the older model for the newer profiled ramps, although I never had an issue with the older profile.

One benefit of the heel release is that I "never" have issues with seating mags. It either is in or out. With the thumb release, I have inadvertantly seated the mags on the first set of holes in the mags. Why Sig has two sets of mag catch holes on these magazine is beyond me. I assume the mags work in some other pistol, but I have no idea which.

No finally onto your Promag question. On a promag that a friend had, it "looked" like the entire baseplate was plastic, but I did not look closely. It functioned fine in his P220 with side release, but that doesn't mean it will work in a heel release like yours. I would recommend sticking with Sig magazines as magazine are not where to go cheap in a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Bought pro mags for a p90 ruger......garbage....for what i felt was a very forgiving handgun.....on the other hand.....any triple k mags i`ve had worked well in a number of firearms...long and short.....
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Ever pinched your hand between the magazine and the grip? I have big hands, amd my first magzine change ever with a P220 I drew blood. I still have a scar.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Xero
Thanks for the info.
I thought the 7 round euro and the 7 round american were identical other than the extra holes in the american. I had not actually compared them side by side.
Interseting.

I prefer an american style mag release, mainly for the commonality of the manual of arms. Though I don't feel particularly handicapped by the euro type either. At least on this gun.

BlackandGreen
Thanks for the "heads up".
I actually got to get a good look at the Pro-Mags this weekend. They didn't have any P-220's in stock, but I got a chance to look at some other models. I do NOT like all plastic floorplates, so I was kind of turned off.

natez
No, I never have done that.
I have slender hands.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top