Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2002 11:49:19 AM EDT
I am new to AR's, so forgive my ignorance.  I intended to buy a bolt action varmint rifle when a guy suggested I consider an AR.  After reading about the AR's I am very impressed with the flexibility of these rifles, and they just plain look like fun.  "TargeDot1" posted "Don't Know Which Bushmaster to Buy" on 01/08/02 and I learned alot from the responses.  I am in a very similar position.  My question is this-  If you were going to buy an Armalite to scope that is capable of accurate 250 yard shots, what rifle or options would you want?  Armalite is only 20 minutes from where I live. I think there is some value in staying local, but I will consider all options.  Thanks.  P.S.- You guys have a great site here.  Very informational and ENTERTAINING!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You should definitely get a flat top and make sure you have the Armalite match trigger.  free float handguard is a plus.  for about 300 yards, a match grade Armalite 20 inch barrel will be fine. Your only other consideration is a scope and rings.  Leupold makes one of the best scope in the world, and its price is set to the size of your wallet.  Nightforce also makes a great scope.  the price is about three hundred dollars higher then a same comparable model Leupold, but I think nightforce is a better and more durable scope.  You will want a heavy duty rings.  Leupold Mark4 rings, GG&G, Badger and ARMS are excellent rings.  If you are looking for quick detachment, ARMS is the way to go.  If not, you should stick to something like a GG&G steel ring for a security mounting solution.  make sure you get some 20 rds mags, is is a lot better to shoot on a bench or prone.  

Oh, almost forgot, you might want a bi-pod. some people don't like them, but buying a Harris not wallet breaking like a Parker hale.  i like the Harris that can swivel from side to side.  gives me a bit wider range of adjustment.  

There are other company besides Arma, and bush.  DPMS, or Knights armament is two other comany that comes to mind.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I think buying locally does matter.  However local or not I would still recommend ArmaLite.
You might consider the M15A4(T) - flat-top or the carbine version for a little more flexibility.
I believe both these rifles come with the match trigger as already suggested by SMGLee.
So far as other options I'd get a sling, heavy-duty scope rings, a couple or four extra mags and a good scope.  A bipod is purely a personal preference.  Mine sit.  Also get a decent assault rifle bag.
Again SMGLee has covered the two scopes I would recommend - Leupold and Nightforce.  Leupold is a fine scope but the Nightforce NSX is just finer - and more durable.  Just FYI - some of the "special operators" are receiving Knights SR-25's (.308) equipped with Leupold scopes but are schucking the Leupolds in favor of the Nightforce NSX - buying them out of their own pocket - without government reimbursement.
You don't define "accurate 250 yd shots" and someone will ask. So think about your definition. With the ArmaLite you're looking at about 1.5 MOA and with the Knights about 1 MOA.  I don't know about Bushmaster or others without checking.
Knights and Bushmaster both make good equipment with Knight's making the better.
So much of this is personal preference and pocket book.
Don't forget later you'll want the day visible laser, the night scope and the...........!
Best of luck in your search.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, i agree with 5subslr5, Knights do make the best gun on the market.  If you can get a hold of the SR15 match with RAS free float handguadrs, you will be in heaven.  I think it is about 1800 without a scope. throw in a KAC ring and Night force scope, you are looking about 3000.00.  Now you are tlaking about the top dog in the AR business.  of course, I recommand the SIMROD night vision scope.  at 8,000 to 12,000 dollars a pop, it is the best on the market.  okay, have I scared you yet?  LOL.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 2:38:46 AM EDT
[#4]
To: 5subslr5
When you state Knights is better than Armalite, what do you mean? When I chose my Arm 10T over an SR 25, part of it was based on accuracy test I read. The differnce was negligible but the price considerably different. So R U talking durability, reliability, maintainability?? Please explain??
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
To: 5subslr5
When you state Knights is better than Armalite, what do you mean? When I chose my Arm 10T over an SR 25, part of it was based on accuracy test I read. The differnce was negligible but the price considerably different. So R U talking durability, reliability, maintainability?? Please explain??

gnfiter,
I nearly panicked when I read your post and was wondering what have I done !!

Take another quick look at my post.  I was comparing the Knight's to the Bushmaster although that may not have been perfectly clear.

Also I was comparing .223's (B/M and Knight's) not .308's.  I only mentioned the SR-25 as part of the scope discussion.

When comparing .223's - say ArmaLite, Bushmaster and Knights, I do give the Knight's SR-15 the slight edge in accuracy.

Probably what I actually own speaks better than I can.  In postban AR's and AR types:
AR-10(T) in .308
AR-10(T) in .243
AR-10(TC) in .308
M15A4 in .223

ArmaLite's "ALL"

Hopefully this is more clear ??
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys- I am learning alot here, will decide soon.... clint.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think buying locally does matter.  However local or not I would still recommend ArmaLite.
You might consider the M15A4(T) - flat-top or the carbine version for a little more flexibility.

I agree.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I had the chance to compare Armalite and Rock River Arms at Camp Perry last year and the Rock River seemed to have better fit and finish. I have shot neither rifle just Colts and Bushys.

I have two Colts and have tried in vain to sell my MT6700 flat top to finance a Rock River purchase.

Give Rock River a look also. Mostly glowing reports from the LEGP purchase last year with Rock River.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top